PDA

View Full Version : Stall question

jaustin
01-25-2007, 07:33 AM
My car stalled out yesterday on me in the morning (it was cold) Started fine came back inside for the breakfast (took about 4-5min) went back out and i noticed the rpms had dropped and it was running rough I hoped in and pushed on the gas peddle and nothing really happend started pumping it and I could get the RPM's to go up a little but nothing special then it just kinda stalled itself out. Started it back up same results

went to the bank and came back about 2 hours later started seemed to be okay then it started to act up again and I tried to drive down the road and hardly made it half way down my street before I had to come back.

--- Took it to the shop and they said it was the MAF does this sound right?

Daft
01-25-2007, 07:39 AM
MAF or coilpacks are the most typical of this type of problem. If you can get a codescanner or VAG-COM connected, you can get some error codes for us to see.

jaustin
01-25-2007, 07:45 AM
the guy said he pulled a MAF code

Daft
01-25-2007, 07:54 AM
lol. Sorry I scrolled too fast the first time. Well, if he did infact pull a MAF code then, it's very likely that you MAF is failing.

The first thing I would do is unplug the MAF and make sure that it's connector looks ok and then reconnect it. If that does nothing for your issue, I'd wager that your MAF is about done.

Depending upon the VIN # of your model year, the price can be either tollerable or quite expensive for a new MAF.

for example: ECS-Tuning sells 3 different MAFs for the AEB motor (that's your motor):

Up to VIN# W 080000 - NEW unit - $259
After VIN# W 080001 - NEW unit - $274
After VIN# W 080001 - Rebuilt unit - $124

Check your VIN.

jaustin
01-25-2007, 07:56 AM
they are putting in a refurb I guess for 80 plus labor cost and what not.

I would do it myself but it would be more trouble since I would need it towed back home and what not