PDA

View Full Version : Someone with a DTS bar not installed...

ct1.8t4me
01-24-2007, 06:54 PM
...I am looking for the distance between the outer most mounting holes. Trying to fabricate something myself and just getting an idea of what size stock I will need.

Thanks.

SeanF
01-24-2007, 06:59 PM
can you measure under your car? they use factory mounting points...

ct1.8t4me
01-24-2007, 07:01 PM
I can - just trying to avoid the cold. Obviously I will if I get nowhere with this thread.

smoothie
01-24-2007, 08:18 PM
i'm making my own also but have not determined that measurement yet.... it wont be over 3 feet maybe 2.5 or so.

benzteck
01-24-2007, 09:54 PM
I can't help on the measurement sorry but when you get it done will you please post pics, I would love to see what it looks like

ct1.8t4me
01-25-2007, 05:20 AM
Will do.

smoothie
01-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Will do.

2nd that, but it wont be for a while yet so don't get your panties in a bunch.[:D]

ct1.8t4me
01-27-2007, 04:05 PM
OK - I went to Home Depot today to get some sheet metal for a heat shield and I ended up running past the section with odd pieces of angle iron, etc. The angle irons are too big in my opinion because they are about 2.5" on both sides so it will lower the lowest point on the car by 2.5" at least. They DID have something perfect though - it was a 3 foot long by 3" wide piece of channel stock. It has raised lip on each edge so it is a lot stiffer than just a flat piece of steel. I think it cost about $12 - it was mixed in with a lot of other stuff.

I got under the car this afternoon and it is perfect. It will need to be trimmed about 3 or 4 inches on each end and obviously holes will need to be drilled.

I'm curious if the stock bolt is long enough. Anyone who has installed their own DTS - does the kit come with longer bolts or are the bolts long enough to accommodate another inch or so? Also, it looks like these bolts tie some pretty substantial pieces of the front suspension together. Can they simply be unbolted, threaded through the DTS and then replaced or do special precautions need to be taken when removing them?

I'm about to order the Energy Suspension bushing that everyone has raved about...This should actually be coming together very soon and would basically be a $40 alternative to the mass-marketed DTS.

onemoremile
01-27-2007, 05:42 PM
The bolts hold the rear of the front subframe in place. You will need to support the subframe when removing the bolts.

Here are a couple pics of the UUC bar. This is about as simple as these things get. The S4 bar connects to the 1.8 transmission differently so I don't have the tranny mount hooked up. And yes, it is bent. That is the product of an overlowered car taking a big ass chunk out of a speed bump.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/onemoremile/IMG_2879.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/onemoremile/IMG_2878.jpg

ct1.8t4me
01-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Thanks - any idea about the bolt lengths? Where does the other end go?

ct1.8t4me
01-31-2007, 07:24 PM
OK - I got the Energy Suspension bushing from Summit Racing in the mail today. Maybe if I get some time this weekend I will be able to fabricate something.

ct1.8t4me
02-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Grabbed the AWE Tuning instruction .PDF last night to see if I could figure out what bolts I will need. I imagine that I will need longer bolts to replace the stock ones as well as some bushings to go between my bar and the mounting pad of the stock crossmember support. The AWE product is indented so that it sits inside the little dugout space in the support - I am using a straight piece of still that would actually sit on the lip around the support so I will need the bushing in between the two so that I am not putting all that pressure on the lip.

The bolts from the poly bushing to the tranny mounting pad are M8x30x1.25 so I grabbed a package of them from Advanced Auto for $2.00.

When I get a chance I will see if I can find out the specs on the bolt that I will need to replace so I don't have to get under the car and take it apart in order to source the replacement out.

SoFresh
02-01-2007, 12:45 PM
What is the point of that bar? I think I removed mine when I was under the car one day because it was all bent up and broken, dangling from one of the bolts...

ct1.8t4me
02-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Well - the functionality that I am trying to mimic is here: http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/gallery/awe_dts/index.cfm

SoFresh
02-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Okay, so my next question is... ive had this horrible rattling sound ever since mine broke away.. would that have to be becuse of the bar missing...? it rattles at low rpms... but not at idle, just lower rpms.

SoFresh
02-03-2007, 05:26 PM
anyone.... bump

Saturnine
02-04-2007, 08:14 AM
Probably.

AWE's DTS bar was prolly one of the best mods that i did to my B5 when i had it.. It made such a huge difference with reguards to drivetrain slop..

I cant believe you dont even have anything on there at all [rolleyes]

I'd find a stock one or shell out for the DTS if i were you kind sir!

SoFresh
02-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Probably.

AWE's DTS bar was prolly one of the best mods that i did to my B5 when i had it.. It made such a huge difference with reguards to drivetrain slop..

I cant believe you dont even have anything on there at all [rolleyes]

I'd find a stock one or shell out for the DTS if i were you kind sir!

Thanks! so then my next question is... anyone hav a stock one laying around for sale?

SoFresh
02-04-2007, 04:31 PM
What is the stock bar even called?

Saturnine
02-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Well it is a drivetrain stabilizer bar, the AWE one is just way beefier..

Seriously, shell out for the AWE bar if you can, you wont be disapointed!!

onemoremile
02-04-2007, 08:24 PM
I'll be adding a DTS with the Energy mount soon. [up]

Tiluleshpingen
02-04-2007, 08:50 PM
since am a noob and my english is not that good.. what is/are Energy Mount.. does it have to do with reducing vibration produced from the power/ energy of the car?

Tiluleshpingen
02-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Well - the functionality that I am trying to mimic is here: http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/gallery/awe_dts/index.cfm

from the AWE website.. it says there that The DTS bar uses stock original hardware that should tell you that the bolt size that the bar needs a re probably the OEM

onemoremile
02-04-2007, 09:11 PM
since am a noob and my english is not that good.. what is/are Energy Mount.. does it have to do with reducing vibration produced from the power/ energy of the car?

From the S4 forum: "The rubber mount that comes with ASP and AWE DTS's are OEM chevy transmission mount. Energy suspension makes upgraded chevy tranny mounts that will work with the DTS. I *think* you'll need different allen bolts though. There is a write up over on AW on the stuff you'll need. "

SoFresh
02-04-2007, 10:34 PM
Has anyone made their own bar??? i dont have one at all, not even the stock one... whats there to it? could i frabricate one from just some steel or aluminum bars from the local hardware store, or is there more to them?? I mainly just want to get a rid of the vibration sound, thats all....

sean1.8t
02-04-2007, 10:58 PM
Has anyone made their own bar??? i dont have one at all, not even the stock one... whats there to it? could i frabricate one from just some steel or aluminum bars from the local hardware store, or is there more to them?? I mainly just want to get a rid of the vibration sound, thats all....

if you can't look at the UUC one that Onemormile has and figure out how to fab one up.. then there is too much too it for you too do. so you might as well just buy the ASP bar and poly mount

ct1.8t4me
02-05-2007, 05:02 AM

That is the whole point of this thread. I have the steel, I have the Energy Suspension tranny mount, and I am in the process of sourcing out the bolts and other hardware.

SoFresh
02-05-2007, 10:10 AM
I understand that guys, I am just saying, is there any sort of hard rubber or coating that should be added to the top of the bar that rests up against the bottom of the car... for less vibration (sounds)... etc.

SeanF
02-05-2007, 10:21 AM
not all the b5's came with a stock DTS... id imagine it was only newer ones with the sport package...

so not having it isnt the end of the world...

sean1.8t
02-05-2007, 10:24 AM
not all the b5's came with a stock DTS... id imagine it was only newer ones with the sport package...

so not having it isnt the end of the world...

no B5's came with a DTS.. the later years(im thinking 99.5 or 00+) came with a stress bar underneath that connected the two sides together. but it didn't bolt up to the transmission

tunerb5
02-05-2007, 12:44 PM
no B5's came with a DTS.. the later years(im thinking 99.5 or 00+) came with a stress bar underneath that connected the two sides together. but it didn't bolt up to the transmission

I had to remove my stock one when I installed the exhaust. The flexpipe would not clear it at all.....and to keep it, most of it would have to have been trimmed off. BTW: That thing weighed a good 30-40 lbs.

SoFresh
02-08-2007, 10:24 PM
anyone know where i can buy a stock one... or a used one? thanks

ct1.8t4me
02-10-2007, 07:16 AM
Well - I've done a little more research. I didn't want to have to get the car up, support the transmission, remove one of the bolts, then take it to the store to find a longer one - which I think I am going to need. The design for the commercial DTS bars allows the use of the original bolt because the DTS fits inside the indent on the support bracket so it doesn't need the extra length. My setup is most likely going to sit on a small metal bushing between the face of the support bracket and the bar I am using so that the weight of everything doesn't end up on the ridge that goes around the bracket. Not sure if that makes any sense to anyone, but if you got under there and looked, you'd know what I was talking about.

Anyway - I opened up ETKA this morning and found that the OEM bolt spec is as follows: M12x1.5x110 - I am going to go try and find a longer version of this bolt so that I can just do it once and not have the car laid up while I figure things out.

Tiluleshpingen
02-10-2007, 01:28 PM
do 97 1.8t a4 have stock DTS

ct1.8t4me
02-10-2007, 04:38 PM
I don't think they do. I know my 98.5 doesn't. If you look under the car, the stock tie-bar would be right around where the flexpipe is on the stock exhaust.

ct1.8t4me
02-10-2007, 04:40 PM
None of the usual sources (Home Depot, local hardware store) have the needed bolt. There is a place a couple of towns away called "The Nutty Company" that specializes in nuts and bolts of all sizes. I am going to check them out on Monday.

HD had M12x1.75 in various lengths, and M10x1.50 but not M12x1.50 - for anyone in the dark here the M# is the bolt diameter, and the 1.50,1.75, etc. is the thread pitch. The 110 indicates it is 110mm in length. So I am looking for something in the 140mm length area or longer that could be cut down to the exact size I need.

sean1.8t
02-10-2007, 04:46 PM
do 97 1.8t a4 have stock DTS

once again, NO B5 CAME WITH A D.T.S. STOCK..

there are only tie bars underneath the later year cars.. but they don't bolt up to the transmission. so they are not drivetrain stabalizers

SoFresh
02-10-2007, 06:43 PM
okay, so if it wasnt stock, and i removed a bar thing from that locaton.. then what did i remove... whatever it was caused my car to have a rumble sound in that area at higher idles... anyone know?