PDA

View Full Version : need new brake pads

turbo kraut
01-20-2007, 10:20 AM
ok, before anyone flames me, i have searched, here and the internet for pads and so forth

ok, so my brake wear light came on, so i am going to put new pads on

but my question is i see that everone uses different types

what is the best pad?
mintex, hawk, pbr, OEM?

i am not looking to do caliper/rotor upgrades right now while i am stock

i have found all three about the same price, and should i just get the ones with the sensors? or do the calipers sensor for me and getting the ones with sensors will just make that screetch noise and not get those any help is appretiated

180motorsports
01-24-2007, 12:01 AM
Ebc

jeremy@matrix
01-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Best pad for what kind of driving?

chiptronic
01-24-2007, 02:13 PM
I'll jump on this. I need new pads too. I drive only on the street and I don't push it (often). I want a quiet pad with as minimal dust as possible. What's the best brake pad for my needs and where can I get em?

Thanks in advance!

jeremy@matrix
01-24-2007, 02:22 PM
I'll jump on this. I need new pads too. I drive only on the street and I don't push it (often). I want a quiet pad with as minimal dust as possible. What's the best brake pad for my needs and where can I get em?

Thanks in advance!

I'd recommend Pagid's. We have them here. Front and rear? How are your rotors?

VMRWheels
01-24-2007, 03:47 PM
I've been using EBC redstuff for quite some time and I love them. However, I do have brembo calipers and I'm pretty aggressive with the brakes on my STi...

In any case, if you're not real aggressive and don't goto the track, I doubt you'll noticve too much of a differrence between the various street compound pads.

http://pics.velocitymotoring.com/forum/wbanner.jpg

The Whale
02-09-2007, 10:11 AM
yeah, I've been wondering the same thing...

I'm due for new pads too, I drive aggressively (like all the time) and I like the stopping power of firm pads. I've got stock rotors (for now) and was wondering the same thing. I occasionally go to AutoXs but only for practice time trials... for auto club than anything else.

So what type of pads would you suggest for me? TIA[:D]

jeremy@matrix
02-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Pagid black RS 4-2-1

onemoremile
02-24-2007, 11:52 AM
The PBR Ultimate Ceramics are excellent and only cost 60 bucks for the front of a 1.8t. They perform the same as the $160 Carbotech Bobcats they replaced except that the PBRs actually bite when cold and survived a track day. The Bobcats were scary when cold and a track day took 90% of the pad material.

deltaforcehall
07-23-2007, 03:54 PM
The PBR Ultimate Ceramics are excellent and only cost 60 bucks for the front of a 1.8t. They perform the same as the $160 Carbotech Bobcats they replaced except that the PBRs actually bite when cold and survived a track day. The Bobcats were scary when cold and a track day took 90% of the pad material.

i see alot of the aftermarket pads.. are coming without the sensor wear wires..... what happens when we put these on our cars.. and they don thave wires... ??

old guy
07-23-2007, 04:11 PM
i see alot of the aftermarket pads.. are coming without the sensor wear wires..... what happens when we put these on our cars.. and they don thave wires... ??

They work fine without the sensors. you will just have to visually inspect your pads on a routine basis to determine when they need to be replaced. If you purchase pads without sensors you just have to cut the two wires and plug connector from the sensor embedded in your stock pads ans connect the two wire leads together. Plug the connector back into the harness connector and you are done. If you don't do that you will get a brake warning light.

Cheers!

And by the way.... I recommend Hawk HPS pads for daily driving and occasional stupid driving. Good bite, low dust. Huge improvement over the stock pads.

deltaforcehall
07-23-2007, 04:16 PM
They work fine without the sensors. you will just have to visually inspect your pads on a routine basis to determine when they need to be replaced. If you purchase pads without sensors you just have to cut the two wires and plug connector from the sensor embedded in your stock pads ans connect the two wire leads together. Plug the connector back into the harness connector and you are done. If you don't do that you will get a brake warning light.

Cheers!

And by the way.... I recommend Hawk HPS pads for daily driving and occasional stupid driving. Good bite, low dust. Huge improvement over the stock pads.

I've been doing a ton of reading on pads the past few days... and instead of going to autozone etc... im going to get decent pads and rotors this time.. but from what i've read... Hawk's are a bit overpriced.. and the PBR/axxiss pads perform the same , if not better... and im looking at the Ceramics side of the pad world...

Also.. im not quite grasping what you said about connecting the wires from the sensor to the harness?.....

old guy
07-23-2007, 04:25 PM
The pads that come with sensors have two wires coming out of the pad that end with a male connector. the male connector plugs into a female connector that is mounted on a bracket beside the brake backer plate. You cut the wires where they come out of the OEM brake pad and hook the two wires together. You are essentially turning it into a jumper wire that you plug back into the female connector. The sensor is essentially a wire loop that is embedded into the pad. Once the pads wear down far enough the loop wears through, thus breaking the circuit. You will be recreating the loop outside of the pad.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

deltaforcehall
07-23-2007, 04:40 PM
The pads that come with sensors have two wires coming out of the pad that end with a male connector. the male connector plugs into a female connector that is mounted on a bracket beside the brake backer plate. You cut the wires where they come out of the OEM brake pad and hook the two wires together. You are essentially turning it into a jumper wire that you plug back into the female connector. The sensor is essentially a wire loop that is embedded into the pad. Once the pads wear down far enough the loop wears through, thus breaking the circuit. You will be recreating the loop outside of the pad.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

perfect sense... again.. i thank you . as always lol