PDA

View Full Version : just bought studdabl snow tires, how much to stud them?

Quattrocket
01-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Since the winter is supposed to be really snowy/icy this year, I though I might stud my snow tires this year. you guys have any idea it costs to stud them?

SeanF
01-16-2007, 08:16 PM
i googled "studding tires"

walmart studs tires for $8.50 per tire

bitterchild
01-16-2007, 08:18 PM
dont stud them til you need to ;)

RippleChip
01-17-2007, 05:08 AM
Um, if I recall you can't run studded tires in southern Ontario

bassed
01-17-2007, 05:19 AM
NO reason to STUD tires if you are Quattro at all! I repeat do not stud your snows!

Quattrocket
01-17-2007, 05:37 AM
Um, if I recall you can't run studded tires in southern Ontario

I still have to contact the MTO, but I have heard from alot of people that the government has legalized tire studding about two years ago. Apparently the asphault compount is different nowadays and won't get destroyed by studs.

I know with snows and Quattro I probobly wouldn't need them but would still be give me a little more peace-of-mind. and confidence. [drive]

buck
01-17-2007, 06:19 AM
I still have to contact the MTO, but I have heard from alot of people that the government has legalized tire studding about two years ago. Apparently the asphault compount is different nowadays and won't get destroyed by studs.

I know with snows and Quattro I probobly wouldn't need them but would still be give me a little more peace-of-mind. and confidence. [drive]

I'm pretty sure that was only for Quebec.

What type of tires did you buy? Are they labled 'studless'?

SurferForever
01-17-2007, 06:51 AM
How deep of snow do you get that your going to need studded tires? and think about this, if it is so deep that you need studs, do you really think that even with quattro your going to go anywhere in a car?

Quattrocket
01-17-2007, 06:58 AM
How deep of snow do you get that your going to need studded tires? and think about this, if it is so deep that you need studs, do you really think that even with quattro your going to go anywhere in a car?

Well, I take the back routes in between the city I live in and the city my parents/friends live in to avoid traffic. Some of the roads dont get plowed and are basicly packed snow into ice. Also I like taking country drives on the weekend and exploring the boonies a little bit so studs would really come in handy then.

Quattrocket
01-17-2007, 06:59 AM
I'm pretty sure that was only for Quebec.

What type of tires did you buy? Are they labled 'studless'?

They are non-studded tires but have the holes in them already for studding.

buck
01-17-2007, 07:46 AM

It's not so much for deep snow as it is for ice.

Some notes on studded tires - they typically have poorer traction in dry/wet conditions. Unless you get a good amount of icy driving conditions - I'd go without them.

onemoremile
01-17-2007, 09:27 AM
NO reason to STUD tires if you are Quattro at all! I repeat do not stud your snows!

Studs would have saved my front end. I dropped from 30 to 20 with no problem and then hit the icy part. I could do nothing but sit through the long slow motion slide into another car.

Snow tires are still pretty useless on glare ice. Some studded tires are better on ice than snow tires are on snow. [up]

I ran Green Diamond MDV allseasons a couple years ago and they were amazing on ice. They were really weak in snow but really gripped on ice. I had wanted their snow tire with the diamond treatment but it wasn't available at the time.

http://greendiamondtire.com/
http://greendiamondtire.com/GDT%20maglass.jpg

I just found this too:
http://www.snowtire.info/TireReviews/2004-Html/2004%20Review.html

onemoremile
01-17-2007, 09:28 AM
^^ That said, I wouldn't want to run studded tires all winter. In Oregon I rode in a car that had them and it got really old on the highway. Kind of a constant buzzing sound.

LateraLex
01-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Are these brand new tires? You can't stud tires that have already been on the road.

SoFresh
01-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Ive never needed my tires studded, and im only FWD, still driving on my 18's actually, and theres tons of snow here in Pullman, WA. So studding tires isnt suggested unless maybe youre new to drivng in the snow... you wont need them bro.

RippleChip
01-17-2007, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't quite say that.

Having traction has nohing to do with how new to driving on snow you are

onemoremile
01-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Studded has nothing to do with snow - only ice. Studded tires will not help in snow.

bassed
01-17-2007, 03:08 PM
^^ That said, I wouldn't want to run studded tires all winter. In Oregon I rode in a car that had them and it got really old on the highway. Kind of a constant buzzing sound.

Never had one problem in 2 record seasons with 600"+ at lake level in Tahoe. If you drive on ice alot I could see the point, but very few places are nothing but a sheet of ice all winter. I would rather run Alpine Sports in lou of the Winterforce snows I have now (have not even put them on yet now that I am back in Pa). Most people in the US can get away with a great set of all seasons and be fine IMO with Quattro at least.