PDA

View Full Version : Is there a 93oct GIAC PC-16 file?

Poopie
01-16-2007, 07:12 PM
I bought my pc16 chip from the west coast, where they run 91 oct. Does GIAC make a chip for both 93 and 91? And what are the affects of running 93 oct on a 91 oct tune?

Thirdeye
01-16-2007, 07:17 PM
PC16 was tuned on 93 oct, the 91oct guys just pull more timing when they run the file.

SeanF
01-16-2007, 07:18 PM
now, this isnt pc16 or even k04, but running 93 on a 91 APR k03 chip, i was pulling a little bit of fuel at idle (1.5%) and a bit of fuel at part throttle (7%)

your ecu will adjust for the fuel, but a 93 octane tune will be able to run more timing, so if it is available, there would be a decent difference...

i have a pc16 chip, im not sure what octane its meant for. but if the file name is the same (PDK16-03A) then im sure there is only one tune for pc16

Poopie
01-16-2007, 07:20 PM
do you think that explains my shitty winter performance?

Burntaudi
01-16-2007, 08:43 PM
i have a pc16 chip, im not sure what octane its meant for. but if the file name is the same (PDK16-03A) then im sure there is only one tune for pc16

You don't have the PC-16 programing. PDK-16 is a different file than PC-16. Their similar but not the same. I have both files and from my experience PC-16 runs less boost and more timing. PDK-16 runs more boost and less timing both use large injectors and a adjustable fpr.

Poopie
01-16-2007, 09:02 PM
hhmm interesting....hey sean, can i try out that programming since you aren't running it now?

SeanF
01-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Burntaudi, ive been readin alot tonight and your right, but, i have both.

from what ive been told, my pdk16 chip is just mislabelled as a normal GIAC K04 file. I will likely send it to someone to verify before i buy a k04

then i also have a pc16 chip

http://i12.tinypic.com/2afg5yw.jpg

SeanF
01-16-2007, 09:30 PM
hhmm interesting....hey sean, can i try out that programming since you aren't running it now?

you may try getting it from burntaudi as he seems to be using the PC16 file.

b00st
01-16-2007, 10:03 PM
PC16 runs more boost.
PDK only ran 15-16PSI when i ran it...which is why i switched it out, had more timing but in general just felt weaker. PDK is a bigger injector file but you got it backwards.

with PC16 i see 21-22psi and it is a 93 octane file. i heard there was a 91 octane file for it and a race gas file built off it...but i have nothing to really confirm it...again thats what i heard. since i don't have no use for either...i didn't really look to confirm that.

Poopie
01-16-2007, 10:39 PM
just went out to check out ecu and I indeed have a pc-16. Another question....can fuel pressure regulators go bad? I have an ECS adjustable one, got it used.

Burntaudi
01-17-2007, 05:50 AM
PC16 runs more boost.
PDK only ran 15-16PSI when i ran it...which is why i switched it out, had more timing but in general just felt weaker. PDK is a bigger injector file but you got it backwards.

with PC16 i see 21-22psi and it is a 93 octane file. i heard there was a 91 octane file for it and a race gas file built off it...but i have nothing to really confirm it...again thats what i heard. since i don't have no use for either...i didn't really look to confirm that.

That's odd because I had the reverse results from what you got. PC-16 I never spiked above 18-19 psi and with PDK-16 I hit 21-22 psi consistently.

I did do a little research back a few years ago when I found out that there is 2 files for big injectors. I talked to EVOMS, Dyno Spot Racing and Torque Factory and the answer was all the same it's the same file. One of them (I don't remember who) had even spoken to Garret Lim about the 2 files and he said he thought they were the same...but it was also so long ago that he wrote the 2 files that he can't remember for sure.

The last bit of info I had heard about the 2 files was that PDK-16 is the latest revision of PC-16...GIAC will tell you that they are the same file...but if thats the case why is the boost and timing different then?

do you think that explains my shitty winter performance?
What do mean by shitty winter performance? Are you just boosting less? The ECU boosts less in cold weather...it's takes less boost to make the same amount of power that warm weather and more boost would make. So if your talking about less boost that normal. FYI I was only hitting 12-14 PSI the other day when it was 10 degrees out when I normaly 21-22 PSI on a hot day.

pac1085
01-17-2007, 06:01 AM
I'm the one that sold SeanF the chips, I sent the ECU to Brian @ Eurotech Atlanta and specifically requested the "K04 chip that uses stock injectors with 5 bar FPR" and that is the chip I received (the PDK16 chip). He did however send me the wrong chip to begin with, it was the K05 file for 018P ecu's. I sent that back and got the PDK chip. So maybe he didn't know WTF he was doing.

I did run it on stock injectors with 5 bar FPR and it ran great. I don't remember my block 032 fuel trims but they were within +/- 10. Didn't have a wideband at the time. Also didn't have any timing pull either.

94jedi
01-17-2007, 06:02 AM
here's some more speculation to throw you all for a loop - I've heard there's a race gas pc-16. IIRC, it runs 100 oct. *edit* I just noticed b00st broke that news flash lol.

Also, I did some pc-16 research myself before going BT and I found the same thing as b00st after talking to several people- pdk-16 is same boost but less timing, pc-16 is way more timing which is why it feels stronger.

Poopie
01-17-2007, 07:11 AM
That's odd because I had the reverse results from what you got. PC-16 I never spiked above 18-19 psi and with PDK-16 I hit 21-22 psi consistently.

I did do a little research back a few years ago when I found out that there is 2 files for big injectors. I talked to EVOMS, Dyno Spot Racing and Torque Factory and the answer was all the same it's the same file. One of them (I don't remember who) had even spoken to Garret Lim about the 2 files and he said he thought they were the same...but it was also so long ago that he wrote the 2 files that he can't remember for sure.

The last bit of info I had heard about the 2 files was that PDK-16 is the latest revision of PC-16...GIAC will tell you that they are the same file...but if thats the case why is the boost and timing different then?

What do mean by shitty winter performance? Are you just boosting less? The ECU boosts less in cold weather...it's takes less boost to make the same amount of power that warm weather and more boost would make. So if your talking about less boost that normal. FYI I was only hitting 12-14 PSI the other day when it was 10 degrees out when I normaly 21-22 PSI on a hot day.

It runs a hell of a lot richer and you can feel the performance drop.

mike-2ptzero
01-17-2007, 08:00 AM

Garrett does not take a old file and give it a new file #, he only does that when he makes some changes to the file and has to save it with a new file #. They should be based off the same tune but with a few things different. Yes there was a 104 octane file(22psi boost) based off of them but I dont think that was offered to the public but it was used by Clark in AZ for testing to run his 13.8.

The reason people see less boost during colder temps is because the turbo is moving the same amount of air at a lower pressure since the air is denser.

b00st
01-17-2007, 09:22 AM
The reason people see less boost during colder temps is because the turbo is moving the same amount of air at a lower pressure since the air is denser.

i would hope everyone by know understands this concept.

yeah i did hear of a race gas file based off the pc16 map...when i got my pc16 file...it was not a public file either. it actually didn't start getting really offered till last year....by AWE. and if i remember right...when i did it...i believe in 04....EVOMS had to get it from AWE. jordan from evoms sent me the PDK file...which i did not like at all...mike you helped me fix my issues with it back on AW...way back in the day. i'm Octane under AW. i couldn't get the A/F right....and jordan wasn't sure.

b00st
01-17-2007, 09:38 AM
yeah there would be no reason to make 2 files and them be the same. there are always tweaks to the files.

there are indeed 2 files for 310 injectors for a k04 setup...PDK is the weaker of the 2 without a doubt.

Poopie
01-17-2007, 10:00 AM
perhaps my car doesn't hate winter, but it hates winter gas?

mike-2ptzero
01-17-2007, 10:02 AM
i would hope everyone by know understands this concept.

yeah i did hear of a race gas file based off the pc16 map...when i got my pc16 file...it was not a public file either. it actually didn't start getting really offered till last year....by AWE. and if i remember right...when i did it...i believe in 04....EVOMS had to get it from AWE. jordan from evoms sent me the PDK file...which i did not like at all...mike you helped me fix my issues with it back on AW...way back in the day. i'm Octane under AW. i couldn't get the A/F right....and jordan wasn't sure.

I think the reason they had to get it from AWE is because the old files were for the older boards and then AWE got all the converted files for the new boards. Have to remember those K04 files were done before 2001 on the old board setup.

AB18
01-17-2007, 12:07 PM
For some reason i remember somebody running 13.6 on that 104oct pc-16.

Thirdeye
01-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Just to clarify, PDK16 is an older file than PC16. I remember when PC16 came out and people with PDK16 were switching files. That said I also seem to recall the PDK16 having issues with some people's cars that ended up being remedied with PC16. To those getting their files from Dynospot, if they sent you PDK16 as a 5bar stock injector program then they most likely aren't the most trustworthy source of information.

mike-2ptzero
01-17-2007, 06:24 PM
perhaps my car doesn't hate winter, but it hates winter gas?

That could be since winter gas should be slightly higher octane or less additives for emissions. Might want to look at block 032 to see if the readings are richer while running winter gas, if so and if you are running a AFPR you could always try dropping the fuel pressure a little to lean it back out.

For some reason i remember somebody running 13.6 on that 104oct pc-16.

That would be the guy that bought clarks car but when I asked for time slips he wouldn't produce them.