PDA

View Full Version : My car won't get up to temp...

pac1085
01-16-2007, 04:34 PM
I've had this issue for a little while now.

My car never gets up to temp, oil or coolant. The coolant gauge gets to about 1/4 and the oil gauge barely moves.

I thought that the t-stat was stuck open perhaps, but that wasn't the case.

Here's what I replaced so far...

T-Stat and O-Ring (I tested both of them, old and new in hot water and both are fine) and it WAS INSTALLED PROPERLY!!!
coolant flange on back of head ( was leaking )
coolant temp sensor
oil temp sensor

It still doesn't get up to temp. Today it was really cold out (like 12 degrees F) and my coolant temp gauge barely got to 1/8th. All the signs point to stuck open t-stat but thats not the case.

Am I missing something here? The only thing I can think of is that its because my turbo isn't water cooled. I have a line running from the coolant port on the block directly to the upper radiator pipe.

xpl0sive
01-16-2007, 05:07 PM
just be happy its not overheatin... :) but does the heat work at all? if it does, then u just have a faulty gauge

pac1085
01-16-2007, 05:11 PM
its not a faulty gauge, i know that because when I started the engine w/ no coolant (when I changed the t-stat and drained it) it got really hot before all the coolant worked its way in and showed this way on the gauge.

the heat works, but barely, and takes quite a while to get o the point of working.

xpl0sive
01-16-2007, 05:14 PM
hmm how does the car drive? does it still have the same amount of power as before or does it feel slower?

pac1085
01-16-2007, 05:32 PM
Fine, but it is running extremely rich for some reason at low-load crusing and idle. I'm talking 10:1 or lower AFR (lowest I've seen it get is 9.4:1 on my LC1) I'm assuming that has something to do with the fact that it isn't getting up to temp.

I am running stock ecu, fpr, injectors and MAF. I tried a different set of injectors and fpr I have but same issue.

I don't get it

Quattro4mage
01-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Probably a bad/ stuck thermostat. Replace and you should be fine.

xpl0sive
01-16-2007, 05:51 PM
he said he already did replace it... and running rich mite cause the ecu to throw some kind of a code or something... is there a CEL on?

pac1085
01-16-2007, 05:52 PM
no cel. no codes.

Beemer832
01-16-2007, 06:00 PM
running anything rich makes the engine run cooler. learned that about airplanes. lean makes the engine run warm. I coudln't tell you exactly what to check because i guess it could be a lot of things. i would assume that if it was running rich or lean it would throw some sort of CEL or make the adjustments. just my $.02
josh

pac1085
01-16-2007, 06:02 PM
yeah I know about the rich cool lean hot thing, but I can't find anything wrong with the fuel system that would cause it. at this point I was almost thinking the low coolant temp is what is making it run rich, but I can see how it would work the other way around too.

Quattro4mage
01-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Probably a bad/ stuck thermostat. Replace and you should be fine.

Guess I should read a little closer. Could be a stuck fan clutch on the cooling fan. Is the auxillary fan running? You may also want to try blocking off part of the radiator with cardboard just to see of it gets to operating temp.

pac1085
01-16-2007, 06:13 PM
Guess I should read a little closer. Could be a stuck fan clutch on the cooling fan. Is the auxillary fan running? You may also want to try blocking off part of the radiator with cardboard just to see of it gets to operating temp.

Hmm, didn't think about the fan. I'm assuming if it was stuck it would be always running?

pac1085
01-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Ok, I just went out and started the car in 5 degree weather and the fan turned on with the car. I'm assuming its not supposed to?

Quattro4mage
01-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Yes. Also the aux fan should not run at all. You did change the temp sensor so I assume the aux fan is operating normal. If the belt driven fan is running, the old cardboard-radiator-block is a good temp fix. You just need to experiment with HOW much to block off;)

Also, with the car not at operating temp, your ecu will request more fuel and cause the engine to run richer. Don't rely on VAG-COM data until you can get the engine to operating temp.

Burntaudi
01-16-2007, 06:32 PM
Ok, I just went out and started the car in 5 degree weather and the fan turned on with the car. I'm assuming its not supposed to?

It will if the AC is on. Which it will for the defrost.

pac1085
01-16-2007, 06:36 PM
AC won't even turn on in this weather, not even for defrost.

I just read that the belt-driven fan should always be on since it has a viscious clutch, just speeds up as it heats up. Unless for some reason it's running at full speed all the time (no idea how to tell)

pac1085
01-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Ok, I think I figured it out thanks to JoeyT over at AW.

Like I said in the top post, my turbo is only oil cooled so I have a line running from the side of the block to the upper radiator hose. (think of connecting the feed and return line from the stock turbo together) Basically its bypassing the T-Stat. When that line is connected into a stock turbo it must restrict the flow enough to the point where it doesn't matter. I'm gonna plug the lines tomm and see what happens.

SeanF
01-16-2007, 08:21 PM
if your viscous fan was on full time, you would know, its loud as shit if it runs at the same RPM as the belt...

B597
01-16-2007, 08:28 PM
i have had this problem the past few months too. im not sure if im running rich i haven't vag'ed it in a couple weeks. i still have the k03 on there

mike-2ptzero
01-17-2007, 08:33 AM
AC won't even turn on in this weather, not even for defrost.

I just read that the belt-driven fan should always be on since it has a viscious clutch, just speeds up as it heats up. Unless for some reason it's running at full speed all the time (no idea how to tell)

Thats odd, with every A4 I have looked at when running the belt driven fan is never moving. Pretty sure the fan clutch works as a on/off switch.

NFryan
01-17-2007, 08:34 AM

SeanF
01-17-2007, 08:48 AM
from what ive seen of the stock clutch fan, theres a spring coil on the back, as it heats up, the clutch grabs the pully shaft gradually tighter... the more heat, the more it grabs (spinning the fan faster)

the first fan that was on there was designed differently, im not sure how that one worked... but what i wrote above seems to be how the one thats on there now (from another aeb) works...

on both of my clutch fans, they have always spun some at idle. however, this could not be normal as ive had issues with both of my fans as well...

stevied916
01-17-2007, 02:16 PM
My car does this as well. I am going to replace the tb and all those parts soon, but just because I want to. They were all done not too long ago so the thermostat shouldnt already be bad. Whats this about the coolant running through the turbo restricting flow?

pac1085
01-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Has to do with how people with aftermarket non water-cooled turbo's have the coolant lines run (not many of us). None of this applies to your car if you have stock turbo or a turbo that is water cooled

stevied916
01-17-2007, 02:38 PM
Has to do with how people with aftermarket non water-cooled turbo's have the coolant lines run (not many of us). None of this applies to your car if you have stock turbo or a turbo that is water cooled

Thats what I thought. I thought it was something with the stock setup. Why would the car run cool? It's not the temp sensor because the gauge doesnt bounce around. It just doesnt heat up past 1/3 and the oil never gets above 150

pac1085
01-17-2007, 02:57 PM
If the T-stat gets stuck open that is really the only thing I know of that causes the symptoms.

Or when your last thermostat was replaced if they replaced it w/ a 160 degree T-stat instead of stock that could cause it too.

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
06-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Did you ever figure out what made your oil temp guage not to operate?

pac1085
06-11-2007, 11:46 AM
it was because my coolant never got up to temperature right, which was caused from my turbo install. Is your turbo oil cooled only? If it is, do you have a straight line running from the coolant port on the block to the one on the top coolant pipe at the front of the engine? If you do, you need to disconnect that and plug the two ports. When you have a straight line across there, it basiically bypasses the t-stat and doesn't heat up enough.

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
06-11-2007, 11:51 AM
nah mine is watered cooled. (GT28R)
I change my pcv vavle and all of sudden the oil temp gauge doesn't move.
I have to stick my head back under there but my dumb ass probably disconnected something again and never reconnected it...

I was trying to see what the possible causes may be.

pac1085
06-11-2007, 12:18 PM
yea if u were messing with the PCV u probably disconnected the oil temp gauge sender, its on the filter housing and very easy to disconnect (one wire, with some sort of clip on terminal, it slides over the temp sender)

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
06-11-2007, 01:07 PM
yeah i'm a dumbass...
Thanks...
I seen the wire covering getting shaffed and exposeing the wire and i put some black tape on it I thought i connected back but i must have knocked it off or something else must have happened.[headbang] i'll check it later...