PDA

View Full Version : New brake pad troubles HELP!

er1c
01-14-2007, 09:01 PM
I purchased a 99 A4 Avant 1.8TQM not too long ago and have put 3,000 miles on it.

A week ago, I heard squeeling from my rear brakes--- so, I purchased:

PBR Ceramic Brake Rear Pads +
ECS Tuning Brake Caliper Piston Tool

This is my first brake job and it went quite well ... I jacked the car up, removed the lugs, took the wheel off--- unbolted the two screws ... pulled off the caliber... removed the old brake pads ... then I used the brake caliper piston tool and retracted the piston ... I put the new pads in, put the caliber back over, put the bolts on, etc etc ... same for right and left rear sides.

I then got into my car, pushed about 5 times on the brake pedal until it was firm ... then I started the car, pressed the pedal a few times again.

I then followed the bedding instructions included... and 75% of the time the pedal is squishy... if I pump it, after a few times the brakes have great force--- what I expected... but that's only 1 out of 4 or so times... the rest of the time, the other 75% the brake almost (but not quite) pushes to the floor.

The procedure for putting on the new pads is straightforward and so were the bedding instructions.

And since I didn't touch any of the brake lines, there couldn't possibly be air could there? There's no reason for me to have to bleed them is there?

I don't want to chance driving my car like this--- and this is my daily driver, so someone please chime in and tell me what I'm doing wrong!!!

Thanks,
Eric

Exoduz
01-14-2007, 10:36 PM
you didn't bleed them correctly...

you have air in the lines.....
jack up your car again and have someone help you out. while the car is up...get in the car and start pressing the brakes repeatedly for about 20 times while a friend can watch the bleeding. after your 20th, hold the brakes down...and have your friend close it back up.

97audia4
01-14-2007, 11:07 PM
Put something as thick as 2x4 behind the pedal so you dont push it all the way to the floor this can damage the master cylinder and itsnt good for the abs system either