PDA

View Full Version : Preference in hose for boost gauge hookup

rubez
01-13-2007, 12:08 PM
I've searched and found several different write-ups as to installing a boost gauge. I just have one question: Does it make a difference as to which hose you tap? A couple of writeups use the hose coming from the FPR to the intake manifold. Others use the hose from the intake manifold to the DV. Sorry if this is noobish, but I'm a noob to Audi's and a noob to performing my own mods. Thanks!

sandnessmj
01-13-2007, 12:25 PM
I've searched and found several different write-ups as to installing a boost gauge. I just have one question: Does it make a difference as to which hose you tap? A couple of writeups use the hose coming from the FPR to the intake manifold. Others use the hose from the intake manifold to the DV. Sorry if this is noobish, but I'm a noob to Audi's and a noob to performing my own mods. Thanks!

I used the vac line between the intake manifold and FPR, seems like that's the easiest to get to from the firewall area.

HighDesertAudi
01-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Tapping it from the FPR is easier but I'd play it safe and go from the Intake manifold. Thats what I did, its only like an extra foot of tubing.

salz2135
01-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Tapping it from the FPR is easier but I'd play it safe and go from the Intake manifold. Thats what I did, its only like an extra foot of tubing.

howis this playing it safe?

AudiRacerS4
01-13-2007, 12:53 PM
yeah please explain how its playing it safe, the instructions call for you to tap into the FPR

HighDesertAudi
01-13-2007, 01:09 PM
It's safer if the line pops off at the intake manifold as it will only effect the DV, not the FPR.

rubez
01-13-2007, 01:10 PM
ic ic... thanks for clearing that up

sandnessmj
01-13-2007, 01:45 PM
It's safer if the line pops off at the intake manifold as it will only effect the DV, not the FPR.

I don't see that as being that much safer. Shoot, there's only a few inches of line going to both the manifold and the FPR at the T, and they're all clamped down pretty well. And it's not like that boost guage line is pulling on the other one.

ActiveMonkey
01-13-2007, 03:05 PM
i've never had a boost line blow off. Then again i zip tie or hose clam them all tight...

1.8G
01-13-2007, 03:56 PM
If there is any leak, it could easily effect the fueling of the car.

mike-2ptzero
01-13-2007, 04:59 PM
Also take in that the area where the FPR hose is will tend to have higher temps then the area that is at the front of the motor, this is why the stock FPR vac hose tends to crack/burst quicker over time then the other stock vac lines.