PDA

View Full Version : Another thing to consider.... Chip Talk

SeanF
01-12-2007, 07:56 AM
I wrote a big writeup before the crash about GIAC vs APR k03 chips. it got lost.

Im not going to get into it again because it seems as though more people had also had experience with both chips than i had thought.

The big deciding factor between chips is usually dealer support. Well i have had personal experience with another reason to help decide between the two.

APR only offers a 91octane file for ndbw A4's. GIAC offers both 91 and 93.

I had the 91 APR, i thought it would be nice because there was an APR dealer close by. Locally, i only have 89 or 93 octane gas available. I didnt want to deal with mixing gas everytime i go to fill up, but was running a bit rich with the APR software.

This is what led me to switch back to GIAC, for the 93oct k03 file (plus the killer deal i got in the classifieds including k04 software)

So when you new guys go to get your first chip, consider the gas available to you. This had more of an effect on my experience, as i never once had to contact my local dealer for support.

BTW, Thanks to PAC1085 (good seller) and Jeff Moss at the Torque-Factory (great GIAC dealer)

SeanF
01-12-2007, 10:17 AM
by the way, im not talking down APR, if they offered a 93oct chip im sure it would be comparable to the GIAC 93.

But between the GIAC 93 and APR 91 available, and my 93 octane gas in my area, id prefer the GIAC chip, as it takes much better advantage of the 93octane gas, and i can feel it in the seat of my pants...

sean1.8t
01-12-2007, 11:15 AM
i agree that most say you should choose the one with the closest dealer support, but for just chipped performance there is really no need to contact them. i haven't needed to contact GIAC for a while now.. upgrades are nice and all but not always somthing that you will notice or need. one of the main reasons i chose GIAC was due to everyone elses opinions in being the more aggressive one over APR. also the upgrades for ko4 files. which now i have decided against anyways

SeanF
01-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Yea, i still plan on k04 because its in the budget (i hope)... already have the software for it...

i have a GIAC library... ha

Stock
k03 93
k04 k05
k04 pc16

speedydragon
01-12-2007, 11:46 AM
i thought apr offers 91, 93, all the way up to 100..

LateraLex
01-12-2007, 12:27 PM
The other thing to think about is some chips have MY specific chips... for example the Giac-X chip is great, and designed only for the 01's.

a4cefed
01-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Yea, i still plan on k04 because its in the budget (i hope)... already have the software for it...

Stock
k03 93
k04 k05
k04 pc16

wanna sell that pc-16 chip [:D]

badassbaldie
01-12-2007, 01:25 PM

Stock
k03 93
k04 k05
k04 pc16

What about that 100+ Octane file I sold you?

SeanF
01-13-2007, 12:12 PM
when i broke the clips on the socket of the first GIAC encryptor, i sold the ecu to a mechanical engineer, that chip went with it.

however, after alot of searching and talking to different dealers, i found out that chip was a 94+ octane chip...

I hope to find someone who is able to put it on a chip for me so i can have it again.

Sad thing is i never got to use it :(

SeanF
01-13-2007, 12:13 PM
wanna sell that pc-16 chip [:D]

I plan on holding on to it.

you can upgrade for like $20 from normal k04 software.

also try calling different giac dealers, you may be able to get it from them without turning in your current k04 software... thats what the previous owner of this ecu did, and its how i have both.

badassbaldie
01-13-2007, 03:02 PM
when i broke the clips on the socket of the first GIAC encryptor, i sold the ecu to a mechanical engineer, that chip went with it.

however, after alot of searching and talking to different dealers, i found out that chip was a 94+ octane chip...

I hope to find someone who is able to put it on a chip for me so i can have it again.

Sad thing is i never got to use it :(

Yeah, I never used it either. I was curious how well it performed compared to the 93 octane file...