PDA

View Full Version : another b5 bites the dust. well, not really....

loustylez
01-12-2007, 07:52 AM
Got in an accident this morning. Making a right turn at green light. The roads must have gotten icey literally from the time I left to when I almost got to work. Key word, almost.

Lady in front of me was turning right at a green light, started sliding and going straight. I wasn't sure what she was doing at the time so when I touched the brakes to slow down and wait for her to turn or whatever, I started sliding and bam... right into the back of her Wrangler. I bent the left side of her solid steel bumper in pretty good... I'm impressed ;)

The scary part is, there's a big hill once I turn into the campus where I work that goes down pretty steep. If I didn't know it was icey I could have started down that hill and slid into another car harder, or worse, a person. Maybe somebody reached down and made me get into an accident then before I'd get into a worse one....

Damage...

Hood's got a nice little dent above the headlight on the passenger side and the bumper's got some cracked paint and a nice little gash in the middle.

I don't know why I'm saying this... but unfortunately there doesnt' seem to be THAT much damage. Do you guys think this will be enough to get the bumper replaced? If so I'll go S4 for sure. As far as the hood, it's hard to tell in the pics but it's more dented in than it looks, plus the gash that you can see pretty well. Repairable? Replaceable? If it's replaceable I guess I could consider going carbon fiber but I'd most likely have it painted and say "yay i lost a little weight." Leaving the CF designed black hood would be ok, I don't mind the look, but it kinda says "hey my car is modded" and all I got is coilovers and I don't plan on doing much to the engine. *shrug*

http://www.diandata.com/temp/phone/cardamage01.jpg
http://www.diandata.com/temp/phone/cardamage02.jpg
http://www.diandata.com/temp/phone/cardamage03.jpg

MultiAudis
01-12-2007, 08:32 AM
with all the dirt and water, I can't really tell what kinda damamge we are looking at

Audi A4 1.8T
01-12-2007, 08:38 AM
prob not that bad, im going thru same process right now, and they said they can fix abs plastic really easy now days, so im just coming out of pocket to get a s4 put on

Monchichi8
01-12-2007, 09:01 AM
not too bad. lucky.

maxspeed
01-12-2007, 09:11 AM
could have been worse, at least your safe [up]

loustylez
01-12-2007, 09:29 AM
well, at LEAST the bumper will have to be resprayed right? there's cracks in the paint so I would assume so. Previous owner/s seemed to have done quite a bit of touchup paint or something on the lower part and some other parts on the bumper itself that are not easy to see.

and as far as the dent in the hood, you can imagine taking a regular hammer and hitting that corner, that's about how much its dented in.

SeanF
01-12-2007, 10:14 AM
depending on how deep that gash goes, im sure you could have them replace the bumper...

if its her insurance paying for it, and they tell you to get quotes, just tell the body shop to put a new bumper in the quote... when i got rear ended, he said i didnt need a new bumper, but that he could replace it since her insurance was paying for it, but i didnt bother...

bellofello
01-12-2007, 10:23 AM
yeah hoods are almost always repairable. Unless it's REALLY bad, that could just be hammered out.

loustylez
01-18-2007, 03:06 PM
well, looks like my insurance is covering her damage since i hit her. balls.

the adjuster estimated:
- hood, repairable
- bumper, repairable
- turns out the passenger headlight bracket closest to the center of the car was busted, new headlight. guess i'll have to do the DIY clearcorner again. i got a feeling it's gonna look weird having a brand new shiny light and an older one... balls.

i'm still gonna try and get my shop to quote me for a new bumper. i've always wanted to go S4 and this a great chance. my front bumper is in fair condition paint wise anyway, so a new one would be nice and shiny.

SurferForever
01-18-2007, 05:18 PM
any better pics of damage . . . just like to check it out.

loustylez
01-19-2007, 07:38 AM
I grabbed a pic from my insurance adjusters photos online. This is the only one and it kinda sucks. You'd think they'd get a better camera when taking pictures of damage. i can maybe get some better ones this weekend.

btw, i think the black honeycomb kamei grille looks good dirty. dirty... dirty girl...

http://www.diandata.com/temp/phone/cardamage04.jpg

loustylez
01-31-2007, 08:43 AM
welp, my shop is gonna come back to my insurance and say that i need a new hood and new bumper. so from here on i'm looking at all the possibilities on replacing them with aftermarket parts. i'll be looking at the cost of a new A4 bumper and hood from the dealer and comparing that to what i can buy. my deductable is $500 and that's gonna be a bitch to come up with enough right now... so i'm gonna try and not spend any more than i have to. although, if all i have to do is spend another 100-200 to get what i want... then maybe it's worth it.

loustylez
02-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Going with a Rieger RS4 look front bumper since it's ~$100 cheaper than a OEM A4 bumper. With the savings I'm throwing in the K&N 57i intake to get her sounding real nice. Also finding how much extra it would be on top of my deductable to get the roof painted brilliant black and my rear lower valance painted silver to match the car since my DIY job is starting to peel and crack.

If I do all this, I'll be saving up next for the Rieger "thin" (as opposed to thick) sideskirts and the outside of this car is DONE.

next: car computer.