PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions for fellow Tiptronic owners...

badassbaldie
01-09-2007, 05:55 PM
I've PMed a couple of you regarding these matters but didn't get a response. My questions are as follows:

#1 - Those with PC-16 programming and a Tip: Is there a noticeable difference from the standard K04 programming with the tip? Has anyone had any tranny issues with the PC-16 (slipping, failure, etc.)?

#2 - Those with an APR snub mount and a Tip: Any noticeable changes in shifting? If so, how much (minimal - substantial)?

#3 - Those with upgraded engine mounts and a Tip: Differences from stock engine mounts? More vibration?

I plan on doing #2 and #3 since the engine mounts have the infamous "purple goo" coming out of them. #1 is still up in the air right now. I'd like to get some input from others first.

TIA

MSMITTY
01-09-2007, 07:16 PM
for #1......I have the AWE K04 package.....I went to the PC16 file & the car actually felt SLOWER.....so I ran with that file for about 2 weeks & then went back to TyrolSport to give feedback that the original file from AWE felt a lot stronger, especially in second gear....since I didn't have a boost gauge we went off of cfm flowing thru the turbo during launches (VAG COM) & the #'s proved that the original file was producing better #'s, honestly the #'s weren't far apart, but noticeable to my seat, hope it helps....but again, every car may feel a little different....I don't have a snub, nor upgraded mounts, very keen to hear from you when you complete on your car.

Thanks,

Smitty

badassbaldie
01-09-2007, 07:38 PM
for #1......I have the AWE K04 package.....I went to the PC16 file & the car actually felt SLOWER.....so I ran with that file for about 2 weeks & then went back to TyrolSport to give feedback that the original file from AWE felt a lot stronger, especially in second gear....since I didn't have a boost gauge we went off of cfm flowing thru the turbo during launches (VAG COM) & the #'s proved that the original file was producing better #'s, honestly the #'s weren't far apart, but noticeable to my seat, hope it helps....but again, every car may feel a little different....I don't have a snub, nor upgraded mounts, very keen to hear from you when you complete on your car.

Thanks,

Smitty

SLOWER, huh? That's surprising to me. I've been told that the difference is in the Torque. I think AWE listed the difference from standard K04 to PC-16 programming at +14 HP whereas the total torque was right around 290 lb/ft. (+/- 50).

I will definitely let you know how things go if I should go this route. Although, if what you experienced is the general consensus, I probably won't go with the PC-16. I can't justify spending $800-1000 for no noticeable gains...

Thanks for the input.[up]

MSMITTY
01-09-2007, 07:42 PM
yup, i was surprised too....i thought i was getting free hp & torque as it was a free upgrade from GIAC

onepoint8tee
01-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Keep in mind it costs anywhere between $3k and $8k to replace a tip tranny. I would never throw pc16 or any aggressive file at a tip... Unless I had a level10 valve body upgrade... Do you plan on that?

MSMITTY
01-09-2007, 08:18 PM
SLOWER, huh? That's surprising to me. I've been told that the difference is in the Torque. I think AWE listed the difference from standard K04 to PC-16 programming at +14 HP whereas the total torque was right around 290 lb/ft. (+/- 50).

I will definitely let you know how things go if I should go this route. Although, if what you experienced is the general consensus, I probably won't go with the PC-16. I can't justify spending $800-1000 for no noticeable gains...

Thanks for the input.[up]

My pleasure...btw, the GIAC TIP CHIP is AWESOME, I never drive in auto mode always in tip, it's such a remarkable difference [drive]

Good luck either way [up]

a4cefed
01-09-2007, 08:22 PM
i really think that the trans will be fine with any k04 file, people on this board have put t-28 setups on a tip and there are many people on AW that have pc-16 on the tip trans with now problems. as for the motor mounts since they are shot might as well do the s4 rather than the a4 seeing there is no price difference. good yuou made this post because i had the same questions

badassbaldie
01-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Keep in mind it costs anywhere between $3k and $8k to replace a tip tranny. I would never throw pc16 or any aggressive file at a tip... Unless I had a level10 valve body upgrade... Do you plan on that?

If it ever came to replacing a tranny, I would get rid of the car. I really don't want to put any more big $$$ mods into the car since it has 121K on he ticker. I believe the Level 10 VB and TC is in the neighborhood of $1200, yes?

I've been thinking about buying a 4-door GTI. I'd much rather put the $1200 toward a new vehicle.

My pleasure...btw, the GIAC TIP CHIP is AWESOME, I never drive in auto mode always in tip, it's such a remarkable difference

Yeah, I have a TIP Chip also. Although, it was already in the car when I bought it so I don't know what to compare it to.