PDA

View Full Version : S4 skirts vs. Painted A4 skirts

bandit
01-08-2007, 04:40 PM
is there a big difference? Pics would help
thanks guys[:)]

bassed
01-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Well the A4 doesn't have stock skirts, so you can't paint em!

matt719
01-08-2007, 04:54 PM
In my mind there's a huge difference. I'm not one tell people what to do, but if you search these forums you'll find a million pictures of S4 skirts and A4 painted skirts. Search for "wheel and suspension thread" if you get stuck.

To the untrained, unobsessed eye, there isn't a huge difference. The biggest difference in my opinion is how it flows with the lines of the car. It connects the front bumper and the rear bumper. Also just looks really clean. In my opinion, it's not worth the money unless you get a killer deal. They cost a lot of money for a couple of pieces of plastic.

sean1.8t
01-08-2007, 06:13 PM
here are two pics of the difference.. red is painted A4 skirts where as the white one is S4 sideskirts

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/FazdaGt/102_0422.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/derek20799/closer.jpg

thanks to slowtoy and derek2079 for supplying the pics

Mattgfx
01-08-2007, 06:15 PM
s4 skirts are hard to install i believe? or take some time..

europshhrc279
01-08-2007, 06:24 PM
dammit id like to get s4 sideskirts and s4 front bumper =( i want it so bad!

badassbaldie
01-08-2007, 06:31 PM
s4 skirts are hard to install i believe? or take some time..

Not really...I installed mine with some fabricated L-brackets, toggle bolts, self-tapping screws and velcro.

Cost me $170 for the sides (brand new with rear brackets), about $20 for the hardware, and had them painted for $100. Total cost was less than $300 and worth every penny...

Without S4 sides:

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/6235wheel_2-med.jpg

With S4 sides:

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/6235passenger_side_1-med.jpg

lude2euroa4
01-08-2007, 06:35 PM
i have s4 sides and s4 front... s4 sides took me about 5 min each side to install... all u need is the actual skirt... thats the way i did it, and then bought trim, which cost 50 bucks for 25ft

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/mnieroda28/IMG_3779.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/mnieroda28/IMG_3556.jpg

RippleChip
01-08-2007, 06:44 PM
S4 sides are the way to go, such a good look on the car.

badassbaldie
01-08-2007, 06:47 PM
i have s4 sides and s4 front... s4 sides took me about 5 min each side to install... all u need is the actual skirt... thats the way i did it, and then bought trim, which cost 50 bucks for 25ft

Where did you get your lower trim from? Was it painted? I'm missing one little piece on the passenger's side near the front wheel (see in pic). I'd like to go a little wider, I'm at 3/4" right now...

lude2euroa4
01-08-2007, 07:49 PM
trimguard.com i beleive then look for the euro style trim its flat round edges has double sides 3m tape that holds it on.

bandit
01-08-2007, 08:13 PM
where did everyone get the S4 skirts at and how much were they?

97audia4
01-08-2007, 08:51 PM
Ok, what did you guys do with the lower dor trim looking at it now as mine is on my 97 A4 it woud overlap and look realy gay, did you guys just trimm it and then have it painted?

d_maniac
01-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Not really...I installed mine with some fabricated L-brackets, toggle bolts, self-tapping screws and velcro.

Cost me $170 for the sides (brand new with rear brackets), about $20 for the hardware, and had them painted for $100. Total cost was less than $300 and worth every penny...

you got the sides brand new from where??? The dealer?? if so got a part number???

Monchichi8
01-09-2007, 10:10 AM
I gotta get some!

kelticslob
01-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Aside from buying brackets to attach them, what do you have to do to make S4 sides fit? Can the lower door trim be left on, or does it have to be removed, clips taken off, metal bits shaved etc.?

littlewhite
01-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Yea. Even on my blk b5 there is a different. Check link below. U can pick up a set of used ones for gd deal sometime

werksmini
01-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Wait what is this trim stuff you bought at 25 ft? The stuff right above the skirt?

97audia4
01-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Looks like just enough trim to cover the little rivits that the plastic attached to, thats a good idea it looks kinda clean, what does it look like when you open the door, what the does the door Sill look like

BeeFiveQuattro
01-10-2007, 09:37 AM
Aside from buying brackets to attach them, what do you have to do to make S4 sides fit? Can the lower door trim be left on, or does it have to be removed, clips taken off, metal bits shaved etc.?
The existing lower door trim may be left on (if trimmed slightly).
-But painting it is generally the issue. That's where all the other options come into play (i.e. shave and re-spray the tabs and lower doors, trimgaurd, or oem $4 mouldings).

As far as the sills... they look suprisingly decent (with the door open).
-It's a clean line, and the "A4" plate still shows.
Otherwise you can remove it completely (which is often done)... or again, buy $4 sills...

Just keep in mind: If this is a 100% OEM $4 side skirt conversion.. one is talking about $1k easy.

-Alternatively.. it can be done as cheap as the price of the sides / rear brackets / tapping screws / and DIY paint.

kelticslob
01-10-2007, 11:18 AM
The existing lower door trim may be left on (if trimmed slightly).
-But painting it is generally the issue. That's where all the other options come into play (i.e. shave and re-spray the tabs and lower doors, trimgaurd, or oem $4 mouldings).

As far as the sills... they look suprisingly decent (with the door open).
-It's a clean line, and the "A4" plate still shows.
Otherwise you can remove it completely (which is often done)... or again, buy $4 sills...

Just keep in mind: If this is a 100% OEM $4 side skirt conversion.. one is talking about $1k easy.

-Alternatively.. it can be done as cheap as the price of the sides / rear brackets / tapping screws / and DIY paint.
Interesting. I wonder what it would look like with the lower door mouldings left black. Think this:

http://www.lltek.com/images/rs4_red_03.jpg

97audia4
01-10-2007, 11:35 AM
I plan on just removing the Lower door trim and the little pieces on the front and back fenders and replacing them with euro style smaller cleaner looking moldings then just painting them to match the car

kelticslob
01-10-2007, 02:08 PM
I plan on just removing the Lower door trim and the little pieces on the front and back fenders and replacing them with euro style smaller cleaner looking moldings then just painting them to match the car

Where are those available?

97audia4
01-10-2007, 05:51 PM
The correct site is Trim-guard.com they are located in Canada just give them a call during regular business hours and you can get 25ft for like 40$

mountainsurfer7
01-11-2007, 07:31 AM
Anyone have pics with their doors open for both scenarios? A4 painted sides and S4 DIY brackets. Its funny you alot of pics with painted A4 lowers but no one ever takes with the doors open. Just curious to see if they paint the entire thing or just paint what you visually see from the outside.

loustylez
01-11-2007, 07:44 AM
i plan on leaving my trim black. i think that's the only way to make black wheels look good on silver, or it just looks cool i think either way. but that may influence my decision to get black wheels next year where normally i don't think black wheels look good on silver at_all.

kelticslob
01-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Anyone have pics with their doors open for both scenarios? A4 painted sides and S4 DIY brackets. Its funny you alot of pics with painted A4 lowers but no one ever takes with the doors open. Just curious to see if they paint the entire thing or just paint what you visually see from the outside.

2nded

BeeFiveQuattro
01-11-2007, 01:10 PM
i plan on leaving my trim black. i think that's the only way to make black wheels look good on silver, or it just looks cool i think either way

That is why I will likely just linex the s4 sides (to match the front and rear).
-The trim can be timmed; and be left just like that.
(otherwise I don't like the black trim with colored sides).

My car will be low with coilovers; and I know I will mess up the front quick.
-Plus I like the black lowers on brilliant yellow. (just need the sides, to fill it out).

mountainsurfer7
01-11-2007, 01:54 PM
I prefer black lowers as well, however when I park my A4 in silver next to my friends S4 in silver both lowered exactly the same with H&R coliovers his car looks way lower than mine. Once I bring that color down over the lowers it will finally show they are the lowered the same. I know this paragraph was not logically thought out while I was writing it, but you should get the idea.

BeeFiveQuattro
01-11-2007, 03:17 PM
I prefer black lowers as well, however when I park my A4 in silver next to my friends S4 in silver both lowered exactly the same with H&R coliovers his car looks way lower than mine. Once I bring that color down over the lowers it will finally show they are the lowered the same.

I disagree; and think it is the S4 sides that make it look lower.
-Plus, with rhino-lined or linex'd S4 sides; they could likely be taken off and sold for a decent price. (considering it would be a straight bolt on mod for anyone... and they would look brand new).

I am thinking long term though.. and would not be too fond of a used A4 with DIY painted lowers.