PDA

View Full Version : Question about Tiprtronic (Slip? )

Shadohh
01-07-2007, 07:44 PM
I have a 1999.5 Audi A4. 70,000k

It has the giac chip and the giac tipchip.

I do not know if it did this stock, so this is why I am asking this question. I have noticed recently ( not from any problem, but just happen to observe it) that if I am off the throttle and give it half throttle, the rpms slip about 200 and then return. It does this any gear, any speed. any rpm. This is more noticeable in tip mode as it will hold the guard, but it did do it in auto mode as well.

It is always 200 rpms. If I slowly step on the pedal, and then give more throttle quicker I do not notice the slip, like it is preloading the transmission.

I wonder if this slip should be there. Has anyone else noticed it? It seems like it is engineered as it is a only 200rpms and I notice no difference in power delivery.

( I have searched under "rpm slip" , "tiptronic slip", "torque slip" but have found nothing )

Mattgfx
01-07-2007, 07:46 PM
it does this to me in 2nd gear with tip.. , some times.. idk why... im having kinda the same problem?

HotSauce
01-07-2007, 07:56 PM
I believe this has to do with the stall speed on the torque converter.

I have the same thing with my 2002 Allroad...

I'm guessing that when you press the throttle again, the torque converter is intentionally slipping so as not to jolt the car...But this could be a wild guess...and it is just that[:p]

AudiRacerS4
01-07-2007, 08:15 PM
torque converter lock up happens on all tip cars mostly in second gear but i expierence it all gears at half throttle too.

Shadohh
01-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Thank you for the replies! nice to get responses from the tiptronic community.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the use of the lockup function. I thought it was to lock up at cruising speeds to save on gas. So I would think it would be locked up more in 4th and 5th at low speed and unlock at high...

mmm? Any mechcanical engineers in the house?

onepoint8tee
01-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Good idea to check fluid level and replace along with the filter if you dont know if its ever been done to be safe. Not saying thats your problem, but you never know. All I know is you better take care of a tip tranny cuz you dont EVER want to have to replace one $$$.

Shadohh
01-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Yes I know.

I had a scheduled appointment to do it about two weeks ago, but the fluid didnt arrive in time for my service. So I plan on having it done next month with inspection.

They will replace the fluid, clean the pan and put in a new filter.

onepoint8tee
01-07-2007, 10:25 PM
I do notice sometimes when i turn around a corner in 2nd (in tip mode) at low speeds, when i start to accelerate my rpms drop 100 or so and then catches back up... Seems like the opposite of what you are describing.. wonder if they are related some how.

tunerb5
01-08-2007, 12:13 AM
pretty normal.....all tips suffer from the the damned second gear slip, including all 1.8t passats. I'm pushing 300+ lb tq through mine so I know all about it.

Quattrokai
01-08-2007, 02:44 PM
Yeah i have a slipping problem in 5th, I have a stg 2+ with tons of mods and the first time my tranny slipped and then broke i bought a used one to replace it and had a level 10 TQ converter installed on it, now this one is slipping in 5th so ima have them ship it for the full trans to be level 10, it does cost hella, my advice, do it right the first time, now its gonna cost me more.

Mattgfx
01-08-2007, 02:46 PM
when u guys shift do u let go of the gas, shift, then hit the gas? thats wut i do :) same with down shifting...

tunerb5
01-08-2007, 03:01 PM
when u guys shift do u let go of the gas, shift, then hit the gas? thats wut i do :) same with down shifting...

that puts more wear on the tranny....

Mattgfx
01-08-2007, 03:09 PM
so ur saying u keep ur foot on the gas all the time and just shift..

AudiSport12
01-08-2007, 03:12 PM
ive got a similar problem that i was going to post a thread about but instead of opening another thread, ill put it here.

my tranny (tip) slip seems a bit different than this. it has only happened 2-3 times bit its very noticeable. (side note: being that my car is a 97, i dont have the + - shift i just have the plain P R N D 4 3 2). when im crusing in say 3rd and i suddenly go WOT and it shifts down to 1st, my RPMs drop a bit then i can hear/feel the engine 'working' but its not pulling like it should in 1st normally. then when it redlines (still slipping, i guess) and switches into 2nd, my car jolts and pulls like hell like the gearbox is finally catching up.

could this be something with the torque converter? its not really a problem now but im just curious as to what it is.

AudiRacerS4
01-08-2007, 03:15 PM
yeah i would like to kow what it is

Mattgfx
01-08-2007, 03:35 PM
same..but about letting off the gas.. shifting.. then hitting the gas again.. i would like to know about that also

AudiRacerS4
01-08-2007, 05:26 PM
there is no need to let off the gas while in tip mode

Mattgfx
01-08-2007, 05:36 PM
other wise.. it just shifts like automatic.. if i left off i get more of a real shift

tunerb5
01-08-2007, 10:36 PM
other wise.. it just shifts like automatic.. if i left off i get more of a real shift

either way it's still an auto.