PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fiber door picture.

fred2ka4
01-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Even though it's not a picture of the Audi door, you can get an idea of the quality work FI does. FI is in the process of moving to another shop and it might be a while before the doors can be made again. I know the holidays have just passed but FI is willing to do 5 sets of doors before the move, so don't miss out on this opportunity to have one of the hottest items out, not to mention the weight benefits. Fully functional CF doors that will work 100% like OEM. PM me for any details or feel free to ask any questions as I will do my best to keep you informed as to the price and availability, which will be very soon.

Fred

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/0203_su_wrx_fdr.jpg

sean1.8t
01-07-2007, 05:59 PM
that does look quality [cool]

forgive me if this has been answered millions of times already.. but did you ever find out what the final weight savings was going to be with the 4 doors?

fred2ka4
01-07-2007, 06:02 PM
that does look quality [cool]

forgive me if this has been answered millions of times already.. but did you ever find out what the final weight savings was going to be with the 4 doors?

I'll have the weight savings numbers posted by Monday. As FI gets closer to production more information will be available and posted.

MultiAudis
01-07-2007, 06:05 PM
craziness... I love it

fred2ka4
01-07-2007, 07:05 PM
craziness... I love it

Crazy is what Crazy does! And the first 5 get um.

DGAFxxx
01-07-2007, 07:40 PM
i don't even want to imagine how much those will cost.

fred2ka4
01-07-2007, 07:45 PM
i don't even want to imagine how much those will cost.

Not as much as you think ...... $3,200 ...... for all four doors.

allshowA4
01-07-2007, 11:06 PM
i am pissed. i was soooo ready to see these doors on your car and i saw the title got excited... then i see a subie. i really want to see these doors on your car.

sean1.8t
01-08-2007, 06:27 AM
I'll have the weight savings numbers posted by Monday. As FI gets closer to production more information will be available and posted.

oh ok [cool]

Rampid
01-08-2007, 03:24 PM
I wouldnt want to see a side impact accident with these.
I enjoy using my legs thank you.

ny02s4
01-08-2007, 03:35 PM

+1

I mean unless your a true show/drag car, there is no valid reason for having those. Not to mention CF doors would look like crap unless you paint them body color and use them for weight saving purposes.

onemoremile
01-08-2007, 03:55 PM
These doors do have door beams and IIRC, they are prepreg dry carbon. That means they are probably stronger than the OE steel doors.

CF doors would be nice on a track car too. Cornering, braking, and acceleration would all be improved.

The only real drawback - outside of price - is the noise.

mike-2ptzero
01-08-2007, 04:06 PM

I guess you think a thin piece of metal is much safer over CF? If another car t-bones you at speed nothing short of a full cage is going to keep your legs working.

matt719
01-08-2007, 04:37 PM
I guess you think a thin piece of metal is much safer over CF? If another car t-bones you at speed nothing short of a full cage is going to keep your legs working.

Metal bends and dents easier than CF does, but it bends. It takes a lot to bend metal to a breaking point. On the other hand, CF has a tendency to snap and shatter.

I'm not offering an opinion on which is safer, etc, just pointing out that just because CF is less malleable and "stronger" doesn't mean it's necessarily better in the event of an accident. Plus, think CF shrapnel. Again, I'm no expert; I'm just applying a little common sense.

I think your analysis is a wise one... it doesn't really matter what's there when you get T-boned. I'd certainly take a metal door and side airbag to a CF door, but it's like asking whether you'd rather be hit by an a-bomb or a h-bomb.. it really doesn't matter.

b00st
01-08-2007, 04:53 PM
fred you are a CF NUT!!!!!!!!!

CF has a tensile strength above steel.

"Carbon fibers have an elongation of 1.5%, while steel has an elongation of 6%," he explains. "So if you repair a wall with steel reinforcing, the wall could move in an additional 6% before the steel would come into play. If the wall is reinforced with carbon fiber mesh, it won’t move in at all—the fiber material is much stiffer and virtually in tension when applied."

so i'm sure your safer with CF doors.

my personal opinion....all 4 CF doors would have to be painted on the outside....4 CF doors would just look plain ugly...even if it was 2. outsides would need to be paint.

does this door function like normal....ie...windows rollup and down and such.

SeanF
01-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Fully functional CF doors that will work 100% like OEM.

quoted from the first post...

bassed
01-08-2007, 05:00 PM

Have you ever been T-Boned? T-boned in your AUDI? Mike and 1moremile don't get me wrong here, but even with door beams and such CF in this price range is not going to be as safe as OEM metal doors at least IMO. I've been broadsided in a Volvo in the passenger seat 2 times and once while at the wheel of my Audi 2 years ago. The woman who hit me was doing 35mph and I was doing about 45mph and based on my expirience I would stick with metal unless I am driving a Track car I don't own and someone has a good deal of money invested in the vehicle and my safety.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/PA_B5/accident.jpg

bassed
01-08-2007, 05:03 PM
CF has a tensile strength above steel.

And glass is higher than CF and Steel, but we don't see I-Beams of glass holding up the Petronas Towers do we. Steel is used for a reason, yes in racing apps CF is primarily used, but the R&D and money spent on those items is far greater than that which is being shown here, undoubtedly. Just my .02.

SeanF
01-08-2007, 05:06 PM
the point is, is that the door beams do most of the work in keeping your car in shape...

look at your doors, they wrinkled like foil around the door beams...

these CF doors use the stock door beam... why do you expect a stronger material to not hold up as well?

The reason car manufacturers dont use this lighter/stronger material in production is cost... not because it wouldnt be a better option...

bassed
01-08-2007, 05:17 PM
In both my responses I indicated cost was a primary factor. Just like any product you get what you pay for and 3,200 for 4 doors just seems low to me for a truly high quality product, when quality hoods are 1k and have a much easier shape etc.. it just seems to strike me as low and possibly not uber high quality. I don't know of person doing the work so it's just my opinion wrong as it may be. Yes CF has the possibility of being stronger than metal, but it's not a given as it comes down to quality and many other factors in the build, weave etc...

SeanF
01-08-2007, 05:20 PM
when you have a product where material costs are so high, you have to consider how much the different products use. a hood takes quite a bit of carbon fiber compared to a single door...

if you think about it, your paying 800 a door, thats about as much as a single hood, for far less "material"

bassed
01-08-2007, 05:26 PM
I didn't really think of in terms of surface area I was thinking about time and curves as being a bigger factor. You make a good point with what you just said though.

onemoremile
01-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Actually I was a paramedic. I've seen more gore from car crashes than I've ever wanted to. FWIW, I became a paramedic after losing my high school girlfriend to a car accident. It turns out I wasn't cut out for the job but the education is invaluable.

To answer another question: yes, I have been T-boned twice. Once in an old Ford Maverick and once in a little tin box Nissan Sentra. Both times were in the passenger door. The arm rest of the Sentra was touching the shifter. In the Maverick I was hit so hard that I flew across the empty oncoming lane, over a curb, and into a front lawn. There was a good 15 feet between the curb and where the tire marks hit the grass. I was hit very hard by a speeding grandma in a white IROC. Her car was also totaled.

That steel sheetmetal doesn't do anything for you whatsoever. It is pretty much cosmetic and doesn't do much more than hold the paint in place. What saves your ass are the door beams. If you look at the pic of that silver car above you'll see the sheetmetal pretty much wrapped around the door beams. There is one at the belt line trim about 1/3 the way up the door and it looks like another in line with the door handle. In most cars the beams tie into the lock mechanism and one or both of the hinges. These beams transfer energy to the A, B, and sometimes C pillar to distribute the load as much as possible. Some cars like Subarus have such incredibly B pillars that the Firemen's saws can't get through them.

Subaru Baja door beams:
http://www.agedstock.com/images/newvehicles/subaru/2005/baja/baja_safety_2.jpg

Forester B pillar after an accident:
http://www.drive.subaru.com/Sum06/WhatsInside/CrossSection_Photo.jpg

Toyota door beam. This is what the Honda beams look like too. That beam is half the weight of the total door without glass.
http://www.toyota.ca/NWS/media/vehicles/quality/qual_safe_crash6.jpg

Composite doors should have big burly door beams. This is from a Cobra and utilizes both hinges and the latch. The "door" is just a skin attached to the beams.
http://www.cobrakit.com/Safety/door.JPG

onemoremile
01-08-2007, 05:47 PM
when you have a product where material costs are so high, you have to consider how much the different products use. a hood takes quite a bit of carbon fiber compared to a single door...

if you think about it, your paying 800 a door, thats about as much as a single hood, for far less "material"

Inside plus outside = more material than a hood skin with skeleton. A lot more complex shape too. That makes it harder to get good gap and flush measurements.

sean1.8t
01-08-2007, 05:59 PM
i love how this gets argued to death everytime Fred brings this topic up [headbang]

give it up, it has all been proven, disproven, and reproven again that not only does the thin sheetmetal over your door do almost nothing for you in an accident, but that cf is stronger in many ways

onemoremile
01-08-2007, 06:40 PM
The real benefit of steel sheetmetal over carbon fiber is a reduced risk of bleeding out from laceration. Steel sheetmetal doesn't rupture or tear, it pretty much just gets crumpled. Carbon will splinter and those shards are razor sharp. This is why carbon suspension arms were nearly banned from F1 racing. After cleaning up an accident a tiny little shard would blow a tire and cause another accident.

The safety of carbon doors can be debated to death. Ferrari still used them on their Challenge Stradale although I can't find any crash test data on any of their cars.

http://articles.motortoday.com/testdrive/360CS/360CS_door.jpg

fred2ka4
01-08-2007, 07:25 PM
I know this horse has been beaten to death a lot of times and there will never be a clear "yes" or "no" answer or "better" or "not better" response.

The doors are being labeled as off road use only so that FI does not have to assume any liability in the case of an accident on public roads or highways. That being said, you guys really need to go to the website and check out some of the testing that FI puts their product through to make sure that their product is one of the safest out on the market. I've seen some of the accidents that customers have gotten into where the CF pieces purchased from FI were the only part of the car that survived. They had a 2000 Acura Integra that was in a multi rollover accident and the hood looked like it was bent up pretty good but a soon as they released the hatch the hood popped right back into shape and only suffered a few scratches. Lupe, the owner has been in the business for over 25 years and knows a lot of techniques and process application that are not common knowledge just because of trial and error. FI does a lot of product development for Formula 1 racing as well as Nascar where safety is of top priority.

Again, I am not here to argue about the knowledge or safety of FI, as I know that they know what they are doing, but we should all be happy that a company like FI is interested in our passion and is building parts that we can use and enjoy. Someone said that the cost seems low, but you have to take into consideration that while myself and Mike Hood were at FI, Mike pointed out that our doors are actually 2 pieces and that the upper door frame connects to the lower door shell. This process is better for Audi owners because that is one of the hardest parts to make for some of the other models that FI makes doors for.

It all boils down to this, if you like them now is the chance to get them, if you don't, no one is forcing you to buy it. FI makes a great product and we should all be happy that there is a top notch company that is still making and developing parts for our aging cars. I like the fact that this post always generates a good discussion because we all get a chance to voice our opinions, but let me end with this. Safety is of #1 priority and FI will always make a quality safe product.

Thanks, Fred

Here is the link to their website, click on it and watch the video's and read their company testimony.

http://fiberimages.com/main.html

SeanF
01-08-2007, 07:45 PM
damn, i didnt know the insides we're going to be finished off like that. i figured they would still use the stock door panels...

fred2ka4
01-08-2007, 07:52 PM
damn, i didnt know the insides we're going to be finished off like that. i figured they would still use the stock door panels...

They are going to use the stock door panel, that is of a different car.

Eurotuned_A4
01-08-2007, 08:06 PM
damn....that would be nice, but not for my daily driver. glad stuff like this is being made for those that need it though.

mike-2ptzero
01-08-2007, 08:49 PM
The real benefit of steel sheetmetal over carbon fiber is a reduced risk of bleeding out from laceration. Steel sheetmetal doesn't rupture or tear, it pretty much just gets crumpled. Carbon will splinter and those shards are razor sharp. This is why carbon suspension arms were nearly banned from F1 racing. After cleaning up an accident a tiny little shard would blow a tire and cause another accident.

The safety of carbon doors can be debated to death. Ferrari still used them on their Challenge Stradale although I can't find any crash test data on any of their cars.

http://articles.motortoday.com/testdrive/360CS/360CS_door.jpg

Are you trying to say that when something hits a door head on that it wont tear or rip open turning into a huge razor? A bumper of another car can open up a door like a can opener with no problem and that isn't going to feel good when your body runs over it. Seems with what you just said up above people that are in a wreck in a standard car should not bleed at all or die but yet that happens every day. Hell even air bags kill but yet they are installed in every car made now.

Kreizy31
01-08-2007, 09:02 PM
I dont think itll be an issue, i wanna see pics of it already.....and i think now you cant stop the cf...you have to get fenders soon.....you might get away with a regular roof....but itd be awesome to spray the car with a really thin layer of paint so the weave shows when you look carefully

Havent you guys ever heard of the orange carbon coupe? its an MZ4 with a complete carbon shell.......awesome!

LateraLex
01-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Hey guys if Fred wants CF then it's all good... his life his choice yadda yadda... I don't care if any of you smoke butts, drink booze, or shoot up heroin... it's your choice. Just please stay the F out of the left lane. [:p]

onemoremile
01-09-2007, 06:22 AM

As noted directly above the picture, that is a Ferrari Challenge Stradale.

onemoremile
01-09-2007, 06:46 AM
With a standard inner door panel the carbon doors would be pretty safe. If a car hit you hard enough to splinter or shatter the carbon you would be pretty much screwed from the G loads anyway. At that point you should be more worried abut glass flying around the cabin (tint films really helps minimize this), your body hitting the interior of the car, and what your internal organs are doing. Your next stop is the trauma surgeon.

mike-2ptzero
01-09-2007, 04:30 PM
It is like you read something and sit there trying to find a way to challenge it. My 4 year old acts the same way at bed time.

Most occupant injuries are from the inner plastic panels. It is pretty rare for the outer door panel to injure an occupant. There are training videos that explain all of this and just trust me that you don't want to see them.

My brother had a 68 Bronco in college. It had big pipe bumpers that were plugged and bibbed as air tanks for the dunes. It was parked and he was sitting on the grass near it reading. A car with an apparently incapable driver tried to parallel park in front of it and snagged the bumper. They peeled the side of the car open like a sardine can. It is definitely possible. Even then, an injury from the outside sheetmetal is very unlikely since the occupant is still on the inside of the car and in closer proximity to a great number more dangers.

Please don't tell me about car accidents. I saw my girlfriend die in one. As a medic I held a 3 or 4 year old boy that was screaming for his mom. She was gone. I have been the first responder on several occasions. I've had enough of other people's blood on me to know what is what. I've also participated in quality control studies and crash tests for several prominent automakers. I have doors in "body in white" at the office both with and without door beams. I have solid parametric CAD of doors. I've done finite element analysis on carbon, aluminum, and steel skins for the auto industry and the high end bike industry. I've done physical testing on aluminum, steel and carbon fiber for various industries. I have broken some of the strongest carbon fiber handlebars and seatposts on my race bike. Unless you have this sort of experience then just shut the hell up and go back to crashing trailers.

OMG the GOD complex strikes again. I think I hear your LAB calling you. I would think you would know the difference between "crashing" a trailer and having a trailer cause a crash at 45 mph, plus the fact that someone else(a4 owner too) jack knifed the trailer less then 1 month before I had the same thing happen to me.

BTW I guess your 4 year old is just like you since you too seem to be doing the same exact thing you just said I am doing.

fred2ka4
01-09-2007, 06:38 PM
What the hell, I thought we were all on the same page here! As stated before this not a discussion or a debate of who is right or who is wrong. This is a thread to find out who wants CF doors for their Audi, hence the term "off road use only"

The doors will be strong and we know that, but how strong, who knows. We know the doors will be safe, but how safe who knows. We are not here to determine how the doors will react to a 10mph side impact or a 45mph side impact, and for once I actually thought we were on the same page for a little bit.

If you are interested in getting good quality CF doors at a good price, please PM me and I will give you all the details. If you are here just to argue, at least let's try to be a little civil about it because after all this is not a Honda site. [:D]

I know that there are very knowledgeable people on the forum and I feel 100% safe when it comes to technical issues that I need answered, but this is more about cosmetics. Carbon fiber looks nice, it's light weight, we all like it, and we know to some degree that it is stronger than steel, but the main reason we buy it is for looks otherwise we would all paint it body color and no one would know the difference.

Thanks again for all the interest, but again please let me know if you are interested in the doors as FI is moving and they are willing to get 5-6 sets done before the move.

Thanks again,

Fred

SHARKBITEATTACK
01-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Get a Titanium door for the driver and carbon fiber the rest.

boostinmr2
01-12-2007, 06:17 PM
These doors do have door beams and IIRC, they are prepreg dry carbon. That means they are probably stronger than the OE steel doors.

CF doors would be nice on a track car too. Cornering, braking, and acceleration would all be improved.

FI does not use prepreg carbon nor produce dry carbon via vacuum. to the best of my knowledge, it is wet layup.

boostinmr2
01-12-2007, 06:26 PM

You are definately confused if you think the major cost of the product is the cost of material. Total cost of material in such a piece is about $75-150(MAX).

The cost of these pieces are all in the labor bud.

boostinmr2
01-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Fred any timeline on when they might be able to produce the first ones?

mike-2ptzero
01-12-2007, 06:59 PM
You are definately confused if you think the major cost of the product is the cost of material. Total cost of material in such a piece is about $75-150(MAX).

The cost of these pieces are all in the labor bud.

Cost of the good grade CF has gone up because the goverment is buying most of it up.

onemoremile
01-15-2007, 11:03 PM
Carbon is several times more expensive than quoted above. Especially the good stuff.

I'm not on anyone's side. I've got a lot of experience and am willing to share a bit. Most is covered under a few dozen NDAs but anything considered common or easily attainable info is fair game. I can say that I caved in the door of a new Malibu tonight and a carbon skin would have fared better. It still would have needed replacement but it would have taken the hit just fine.

Quattrocket
01-16-2007, 12:17 AM
Actually I was a paramedic. I've seen more gore from car crashes than I've ever wanted to. FWIW, I became a paramedic after losing my high school girlfriend to a car accident. It turns out I wasn't cut out for the job but the education is invaluable.

To answer another question: yes, I have been T-boned twice. Once in an old Ford Maverick and once in a little tin box Nissan Sentra. Both times were in the passenger door. The arm rest of the Sentra was touching the shifter. In the Maverick I was hit so hard that I flew across the empty oncoming lane, over a curb, and into a front lawn. There was a good 15 feet between the curb and where the tire marks hit the grass. I was hit very hard by a speeding grandma in a white IROC. Her car was also totaled.

That steel sheetmetal doesn't do anything for you whatsoever. It is pretty much cosmetic and doesn't do much more than hold the paint in place. What saves your ass are the door beams. If you look at the pic of that silver car above you'll see the sheetmetal pretty much wrapped around the door beams. There is one at the belt line trim about 1/3 the way up the door and it looks like another in line with the door handle. In most cars the beams tie into the lock mechanism and one or both of the hinges. These beams transfer energy to the A, B, and sometimes C pillar to distribute the load as much as possible. Some cars like Subarus have such incredibly B pillars that the Firemen's saws can't get through them.

Subaru Baja door beams:
http://www.agedstock.com/images/newvehicles/subaru/2005/baja/baja_safety_2.jpg

Forester B pillar after an accident:
http://www.drive.subaru.com/Sum06/WhatsInside/CrossSection_Photo.jpg

Toyota door beam. This is what the Honda beams look like too. That beam is half the weight of the total door without glass.
http://www.toyota.ca/NWS/media/vehicles/quality/qual_safe_crash6.jpg

Composite doors should have big burly door beams. This is from a Cobra and utilizes both hinges and the latch. The "door" is just a skin attached to the beams.
http://www.cobrakit.com/Safety/door.JPG

LOL!!! I work at that factory! I think I recognise that guy too.

mike-2ptzero
01-16-2007, 08:29 AM
Fred any timeline on when they might be able to produce the first ones?

I think they are still working on doing the molds. Last I heard was that they wanted 5 pre-orders before producing the molds. I even offered my car so that they could produce the molds.

romell
04-18-2007, 03:09 PM
hmm... i wanna inner door panel piece

allshowA4
04-18-2007, 03:30 PM
hmm... i wanna inner door panel piece
u brought this thread back for THIS!!!! u got my hopes up that the doors were done

fred2ka4
04-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Sorry for the let down but I was not allowed to do a GB for reasons beyond my control and no fault of Fiber Images. So instead of Fiber Images building multiple sets of doors right now and everyone getting a great price, I have to wait for 1 set of doors for my car when they are able to get to it because of their busy schedule. I'll let you know how it turns out and post pictures ASAP.

JumboBlack1.8
04-18-2007, 04:34 PM
.......what a let down.....[=(] [=(] [=(] [=(]

mikeyvuitton
04-18-2007, 05:01 PM
i want some.

mike-2ptzero
04-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Sorry for the let down but I was not allowed to do a GB for reasons beyond my control and no fault of Fiber Images. So instead of Fiber Images building multiple sets of doors right now and everyone getting a great price, I have to wait for 1 set of doors for my car when they are able to get to it because of their busy schedule. I'll let you know how it turns out and post pictures ASAP.

Oh crap. I say we do the GB the way I said we should do it a while back and believe me there is always a loop hole to do a GB right here on AZ. [:D]

mikeyvuitton
04-18-2007, 05:25 PM
there is always a loop hole to do a GB right here on AZ
money?

mike-2ptzero
04-18-2007, 05:32 PM
money?

LOL, me money? Its all about "who" you know.[:D]

fred2ka4
04-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Oh crap. I say we do the GB the way I said we should do it a while back and believe me there is always a loop hole to do a GB right here on AZ. [:D]

I think me and you need to talk ...... [:D]

I'll give you a call in about an hour so we can set things up.

[;)]

boostinmr2
04-19-2007, 06:50 PM
Fred - contact me. PM me or something. I can work something out for you on the rear doors.

mikeyvuitton
04-19-2007, 06:52 PM
i would like a fullset. front and rear if this ever goes down.

a4fann
04-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Old thread reviving FTW, those doors are sick. If money was not an issue I would probably do full carbon fiber body panels

Speckto
04-19-2007, 07:10 PM
ever get around to the total wieght loss?

mike-2ptzero
04-19-2007, 07:36 PM
ever get around to the total wieght loss?

That might not be known till the doors are done, then they can put one on a scale vs a stock shell.

SurferForever
04-19-2007, 08:44 PM
CARBON FIBER WOULD NOT MAKE SAFE DOOR ALTERNATIVES ! ! ! ! LoL j/k. i so thought that they were done and wanted to see them

fred2ka4
04-19-2007, 09:37 PM
PM's sent and answered.

quattro16
09-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Ok who started the thread jacking? Mike do it go with pelican blue cf!!!!!!

fred2ka4
09-15-2007, 05:16 PM
Ok who started the thread jacking? Mike do it go with pelican blue cf!!!!!!

I don't know what your talking about .......................... [rolleyes]

[:D]

SilverB5A4
09-15-2007, 09:36 PM

Prepreg means that it has resin in the fabric, so it cant be prepreg dry carbon that would be an oxymoron. I agree that the only real draw back would be the noise. Carbon fiber is a hell of a lot strong then a lot of people really think and if the doors are made correctly there shouldnt be any issues.

onemoremile
09-16-2007, 09:56 AM
Prepreg is also called dry carbon since you don't saturate it with resin. You get to skip the wet step. It does have to be cured in an autoclave which most shops don't have access to. The carbon also has to be kept cold and handled carefully and quickly before bagging and claving. A wet layup with the soaker layers and vac bag and whatnot still yields a very strong part. The prepreg process is just the next level of technology. Unfortunately that makes a lot of it cost prohibitive.

Still, the hood on my avant is a prepreg piece. You can usually tell just by looking because the weave will be dead perfect.

mike-2ptzero
09-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Prepreg is also called dry carbon since you don't saturate it with resin. You get to skip the wet step. It does have to be cured in an autoclave which most shops don't have access to. The carbon also has to be kept cold and handled carefully and quickly before bagging and claving. A wet layup with the soaker layers and vac bag and whatnot still yields a very strong part. The prepreg process is just the next level of technology. Unfortunately that makes a lot of it cost prohibitive.

Still, the hood on my avant is a prepreg piece. You can usually tell just by looking because the weave will be dead perfect.

I saw a hood made with dry carbon the other day while at Fiber Images, the owner was giving me a tour and showing some other products he was working on including his Maxda that should be at sema again this year.

SilverB5A4
09-16-2007, 06:10 PM

I work at a composites shop, i know all about the process. As complicated as the whole process of making carbon parts, it is actually quite simple. The only thing that makes it difficult is having all the neccesary tools.