PDA

View Full Version : Oil heating up to quickly, Help??

S4 in_lowplaces
01-07-2007, 05:09 PM
i just got chipped and my oil temp reachs 250 degrees and a big oil can starts to flash. the only thing i can think of is that there is to much oil in my engine but any input would help.

Andrew

onemoremile
01-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Or not enough oil. Check the dipstick.

S4 in_lowplaces
01-07-2007, 07:03 PM
i did check the dip stick and it is way over the max line. By having to much oil in the engine could it cause me to blow a head gasket, there for cause my engine to blow seals, and rings and lets water from the coolant to get into the oil?? I have also been getting real bad misfires. Remind you this all started to happen after the chip i installed. I think i might have to replace my spark plugs and lower the oil level. Anyone else go ahead and chime in. THANKS

-Andrew-

SeanF
01-07-2007, 07:04 PM
sludge?

S4 in_lowplaces
01-07-2007, 07:41 PM
i dont think it is sludge.... But if it is what is a caause of sludge?? How can i stop it from happening. Would it be regular oil changes?

DGAFxxx
01-07-2007, 07:51 PM
I would start off by doing an oil change... Then make sure you put the correct amount of oil in it... my 1.8t takes approx 4.2 quarts... then check your oil pressure... also when draining your oil check to see if the old oil looks normal, make sure there is no coolant in it, or anything like that.

S4 in_lowplaces
01-07-2007, 08:41 PM
I would start off by doing an oil change... Then make sure you put the correct amount of oil in it... my 1.8t takes approx 4.2 quarts... then check your oil pressure... also when draining your oil check to see if the old oil looks normal, make sure there is no coolant in it, or anything like that.

How do i check my oil presure??? there is no gauge..

sean1.8t
01-07-2007, 08:48 PM
you don't think that its sludge, yet you don't understand how it is caused/prevented/or basically what it is. [confused]

i think that your best bet right now is to take it to a good shop(maybe the dealer if you're rich and like to take chances) and have them deal with it for you

fred2ka4
01-07-2007, 09:08 PM
The best and cheapest thing to do has already been mentioned, change the oil.

If you think you have sludge, there are write ups that you can search for that will help you to get rid of it. You can start with the seafoam write up and go from there.

onemoremile
01-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Just change the oil or use an oil extractor to suck some out from the dipstick. A friend overfilled his Saturn years ago and it produced some serious 007 style smoke screen action. The oil should be right at the middle of the dipstick after the engine has been run and stopped for a minute or so. It takes a bit for the oil to drain out of the head and back into the pan.

Change your plugs. No doubt they are fouled.

Overfilled oil can cause all sorts of problems but most go away when the level is corrected. The high oil level creates serious windage as the crank whips through it. This can froth it up and mess with oil pressure which leads to other more serious problems.

S4 in_lowplaces
01-08-2007, 10:00 AM
OneMoremile, You gave a great explination, thank you, I will do just that

-Andrew-