PDA

View Full Version : MY ECU is fried

yusoslo
01-05-2007, 10:57 AM
So I take my car to a local shop andt hey scan the car, it wont communicate with the ecu. I am thinking the ecu is toast, where can I get one repaired, The ECu is has also been chipped by giac, and this is a 2.8 manual quattro

SeanF
01-05-2007, 10:59 AM
your not going to have the best luck getting it repaired...

i went through the same thing with my first ecu...

i have an apr one if youd like it

MultiAudis
01-05-2007, 11:00 AM
not sure they are repairable? I think you need a new ecu, but I am not positive. If so, just watch the classifieds and contact bitter. good luck!

a4cefed
01-05-2007, 11:33 AM
time to buy a chipped ecu

werksmini
01-05-2007, 11:45 AM
You really need to make sure of a few things first. I had the "same issue" and it cost me a fucking fortune diagnosing it. I had all the symptoms of a fried ecu, like the CEL wouldnt come on when i tried to turn the car over. So I but another ecu and nothing changes. I took it to a dealer (expensive call) and all they wanted to do was buy me another ecu. I was forced to sign something telling them to not diagnose the ecu and work past that. It turned out that some of the wires between the ecu and some other componenets were fried.

Just make sure you dont make the same mistake. Hopefully its just the ecu.

a4cefed
01-05-2007, 11:56 AM
find another local member and swap your ecu with them

sk8rtilldie
01-05-2007, 01:39 PM
i have one if you want to buy...[;)]

yusoslo
01-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Ok well there was a bit of confusion. My ECU is already chipped by GIAC. My car is a 2.8 so the APR chip is more than likely for a 1.8T

I went to the shop today and we cut the K-wire. The machine was then able to read the ecu. I had evap leak codes and a missfire on cylinder 1,3,6 and the ABS module.

Other than that there where no other codes. The car started right up and I drove it around the block, it idled very low and would dip a bit, but I had the same problem when I did my timing belt, I guess it is the ECU relearning the air fuel etc etc. cause eventually after 5 minutes or so the idle smoothed out.

I pull the car back into the shop and shut it off, reinstall the ECU cover (the ecu was a bit warm) and then when we tried to start the car.....nothing.

So we are pretty sure that the ecu it getting warm and a soldering point is coming loose. There is a local guy that can repair them for about 50 bucks, but I seriously doubt it is a melted or shorted wire, cause the car wouldnt run like it did for 5 inutes or so.

I am sooooo damn confused, mad, and irritated.

sk8rtilldie
01-05-2007, 02:02 PM
thats sucks dude...

Militant-Grunt
01-05-2007, 02:04 PM
So I take my car to a local shop andt hey scan the car, it wont communicate with the ecu. I am thinking the ecu is toast, where can I get one repaired, The ECu is has also been chipped by giac, and this is a 2.8 manual quattro

Have the same issue with my other ECU sitting in a bag in my glove box with a GIAC in it, and it refuses to communicate with VAGCOM or any OBD II.

Militant-Grunt
01-05-2007, 02:11 PM
Ok well there was a bit of confusion. My ECU is already chipped by GIAC. My car is a 2.8 so the APR chip is more than likely for a 1.8T

I went to the shop today and we cut the K-wire. The machine was then able to read the ecu. I had evap leak codes and a missfire on cylinder 1,3,6 and the ABS module.

Other than that there where no other codes. The car started right up and I drove it around the block, it idled very low and would dip a bit, but I had the same problem when I did my timing belt, I guess it is the ECU relearning the air fuel etc etc. cause eventually after 5 minutes or so the idle smoothed out.

I pull the car back into the shop and shut it off, reinstall the ECU cover (the ecu was a bit warm) and then when we tried to start the car.....nothing.

So we are pretty sure that the ecu it getting warm and a soldering point is coming loose. There is a local guy that can repair them for about 50 bucks, but I seriously doubt it is a melted or shorted wire, cause the car wouldnt run like it did for 5 inutes or so.

I am sooooo damn confused, mad, and irritated.

Exactly the same crap, my chip was resoldered 3 times using multiple methods to see what is causing the engine not to start and run other times when the ecu is warm. I lucked out and found a ECU on ebay with matching model numbers, that has been working (kinda, there is a check engine light on a open sensor somewhere). Got it for 170 on ebay..

ExpLlclT
01-06-2007, 12:43 AM
if its your abs light the same thing happend to mine 2.8 98 Q , jus the electrical side of my brakes not the main ecu hope you don't have the main ecu fried

yusoslo
01-06-2007, 07:49 AM
hey explicit.....my ABS lights have been on forever. How could this cause the car not to start??? I have the DIY write up on how to resolder the ABS ecu....

PLEASE go into this a bit more!

yusoslo
01-07-2007, 08:39 AM
anyone else?

b00st
01-07-2007, 03:24 PM
bitterchild can get you ECUs too.

i got mine from him about a month ago. my ECU went dead. bitter got it to me in just a few days. my car is back in full effect. had the K04 PC16 file transfer to the new ECU....she runs great now. i've never been able to hold 18psi at 42 degrees outside to 6k....with everything all fixed...she runs better than ever now.

yusoslo
01-12-2007, 02:36 PM
well I got a used ecu out of a wrecked car for 125!!!! did the TBA and the car runs great. Deff feels different without the GIAC chip but oh well I need reliablity.

Also I get one ECU code about a bus something. I think it has to do with an automatic transmission. I didnt know there where any differences in the ecu, just that an auto required a new ecu.

Whatever the POS is back on the road.

yusoslo
01-13-2007, 11:55 AM
wow, so I am driving my car and 15 minutes after I leave the shop the car starts spraying coolant everywhere!!!!

G%D FVCKING DAM%IT I hate hate hate my audi, the car has now been broken onteh side of the road 4 times in 2.5 months.

yusoslo
01-13-2007, 01:01 PM
well i went and scooped up the car, the metal cover that goes to the clutch fan broke off and flew into the radiator!! wtf!! IS my car cursed?

Kyle H
01-13-2007, 01:22 PM
It's just mad that you're talking so bad about it, you know they listen to you!

That sucks though dude, the previous owner probably took crappy care of it and now you're having to deal with their problems. Goodluck!

yusoslo
01-13-2007, 02:30 PM
well I am gonna get a new radiator and clutch fan and I hope when I remove the front bumper, then ac condensor and then the rad. I can access the fan from the hole there.

we will see. And I get to buy the super affordable audi coolant after I just bought some for my timing belt job 300 miles ago!!

badassbaldie
01-13-2007, 02:37 PM
well I am gonna get a new radiator and clutch fan and I hope when I remove the front bumper, then ac condensor and then the rad. I can access the fan from the hole there.

we will see. And I get to buy the super affordable audi coolant after I just bought some for my timing belt job 300 miles ago!!

Look at the bright side of things...At least our radiators are relatively cheap compared to other vehicles, both foreign and domestic...[wrench]

Ertman
01-13-2007, 02:40 PM
How is the chip fastened to the board? I have a GIAC chipped ecu that was giving me fits for a couple of days with the same sort of issues. The encryption board that the chip is fastened to is finicky about pin contact. I had to make sure that I had a solid contact for the pins on the chip.

I would remove the ecu, open it up, remove the chip, remount the chip making sure that the locking piece is firmly snapped in. and reinstall it.

Burntaudi
01-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Could be a cold solder joint. Have you pulled the ecu cover to make sure that the chip is fully seated in the socket. Otherwise I would try getting the chip re-soldered.

yusoslo
01-13-2007, 03:45 PM
chip is being resoldered by giac right now. I got my used ecu off ebay and the car runs fine I might just sell the chip by itself. BTW the chip is clipped into a socket that is soldered to the board. They are checking all the points on it.

I guess PureMS has the best prices on the fan and rad. 100 for the clutch fan and 150 for the radiator.

SeanF
01-13-2007, 08:13 PM
You may be interested in the SPP electric fan kit?

group buy is in the works in the Group buy section