PDA

View Full Version : Removing headunit

Russell2686
01-05-2007, 07:36 AM
I bumped a thread in the B6 forums about this but i couldnt find a thread on this in the b5 forums.

Ive been trying to get this damn head unit out for a week now to install the icelink i bought.
I brought it to the audio shop and they tried to get it out and we could only get one side out with the keys.
I took it to audi to have them remove it and they told me it would cost 80 bucks to remove it!! He claims its an hour job because they have to remove everything.
He also claimed that the stereo is worth $3000 and i have a 99.5 with the just the tape deck!!!!!

RippleChip
01-05-2007, 08:26 AM
4 keys in the radio, and pull. You might have to get your hand in the tape deck to pull it out, they are normally very tight in there. Audio shop should have no issue getting it out if they have the right keys, that's how I got mine pulled

Russell2686
01-05-2007, 09:20 AM
i have the 99.5 head unit so i should only need 2 keys correct. I had both keys in and yanked on the head unit i even took the trim off and was able to pull from the sides and this thing just wont budge. The left key clicks in good and the right one kind of clicks in i think they might just be broken now.

SeanF
01-05-2007, 10:49 AM
if its a single din radio you only need 2 keys, if its double din, you need 4..

i got the keys on ebay for like $8

i lost one of my keys, and can still get the radio out...

Russell2686
01-10-2007, 07:42 AM
so i went to the audi dealer yesterday and they put the keys in and couldnt remove it they said my clips are broken and said alright we cant do anything see ya later...I need this thing out now because after shoving so many things in there to try and remove it now it doesn't even turn on...

johnnybravoa4
01-10-2007, 08:04 AM
ouch.. got a sawzall..lol I dont know man do yu have the short VW key or the longer audi keys.. dont know what to tell ya

Russell2686
01-10-2007, 09:31 AM
they were the Audi keys. is there any trick to getting this thing out i know there is 6 screws under there when you take the trim off. my friend has the same radio and it looks like the previous owner got his out using a screw driver or something then broke the clips so it doesn't lock anymore there must be a way i guess ill go home and start removing screws.

johnnybravoa4
01-10-2007, 09:49 AM
i have only removed radios on a 99 pre facelift, a 98 and a 97, oh also a 2000 wiht double din.. its its like the 98 99 and 97 I didnt think the trim came off with out the head-unit out..

streamline
01-10-2007, 11:15 AM
I had the same issue with my Double Din, the clips were mangled. I had to use some force, which i was very hesitant to do, but i was able to get it out enough and with the help of a friend able to get to the screws on the side that hold the face plate onto the head unit. Once i was able to pop off the face plate o was able to use tools that look like dental pics to pull in the clips and remove the head unit. It was a PITA, and i couldn't have done it w/o 4 hands. Not sure how the single din works and if you can remove the faceplate, but regardless i'm sure you can find a single din headunit cheap if something breaks. I might know someone with one of them laying around.