PDA

View Full Version : New to the Audi Scene

RosenTurd
01-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Just left the Honda/Acura scene after 6 years so this is completely new to me

Looking to purches a 98 A4 1.8t Quattro this weekend as long as everything goes well..

If anyone has any tech pages they can show me it would be great .. Also a list of Tuners and Tuner parts i should be looking at or staying away from it would really help me out

Below are some of my past cars just to give you an idea Im going to bring Clean lines besides some of the "Ricer shit" out there.. I just thought I should move on to something bigger and much better

thanks,
Rob

My 189.9 whp Teg .. Just Sold
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h275/atomicwild/3333.jpg

My Civic Hatch d15b7 Si beater
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h275/atomicwild/DSC01167.jpg

My other hatch all motor B16a
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h275/atomicwild/fb6e5967.jpg

AudiSport12
01-04-2007, 08:54 PM
thank god you are out of there. good luck with the Audi. keep it clean!

try:
www.awetuning.com
www.goapr.com
www.neuspeed.com
www.ecstuning.com
www.purems.com

since you are a 1.8t, your should probably start out with a chip from one of the listed sites (GIAC or APR). if you get a chip, you will want to upgrade to a 710n valve, or a beefier Forge 007 diverter valve. stay away from blow off valves as they dont recirculate the air back into the intake system. then go with your exhaust. probably want to stay with a 2.25" or 2.5" cat back if your planning on keeping you stock turbo with systems such as Borla, APR, or Milltek.. if you want to go BT (big turbo), maybe 2.5" or 3" would be the better route. then suspension is a must. Koni Coilovers or Bilstein PSS9s are very nice, but pricey. or if you dont want to go hardcore susp., some H&R race springs and grovved bilstein shocks/struts will do you well. then some wheels of your chioce.

EDIT** before you go spending all your money, make sure the proper maintenence has been done you your car. The timing belt should be done around 70K miles if it hasnt been done already. Oh, and get a boost gauge fo determining how much boost your running and to be able to see if you have boost leaks somewhere.

sean1.8t
01-04-2007, 09:23 PM
whats your goals for the audi? do you want to run a certain 1/4 time? do you just want it to look good? what about handling? then we can give you base answers for your needs/goals and you can go from there

also welcome to the good side [a4]

hey4
01-04-2007, 09:23 PM
welcome, I'd suggest that you skim over the B6 section if you want to see what goes, they have two noob threads with good information. Most of it is relevant to the B5, I was actually thinking of copying it over here and changing the parts that are B5 specific. What are your plans for the A4?

RosenTurd
01-04-2007, 10:09 PM
well since I was a Honda owner Im used to things breaking every god damned week

So i think Im going to shoot for basic Bolt ons for the motor as for the suspension Id like to go all out IE Koni shortend yellows or what ever else you guys would think worth wile..wheels Id like to do a HRE with as big of a dish as I can do so wheel size help would be great ... Carbotech pads are already on their way so that parts coverd

Diffs
LSDs

etc etc

thanks for the welcome and hello to all the Euro kids I hope to meet

Rob

sean1.8t
01-04-2007, 10:17 PM
well if you want a good reliable bolt on turbo for around 200Awhp then go with a ko4.. if you want things to break like you're used to then go BT. search under that and you'll find some good info..

as for Diff and LSD.. http://www.stasisengineering.com/get the center diff but you won't need the LSD unless you've got serious power

and suspension. Koni's with some H&R springs would be good. if you want more adjustabilty then i would look into STaSIS's tracksports or what im putting on my car, Bilstein PSS9's..

just keep searching/reading and ride hard man.. GL with the purchase

RosenTurd
01-04-2007, 10:42 PM
thanks for your help

RosenTurd
01-04-2007, 11:03 PM
BTW I havent Found Much on Body Styling kits

Lips F/R
Lip Kits
Carbon Fiber parts

etc etc

Any Ideas

E Fresh
01-04-2007, 11:56 PM
welcome to euro[up]

sean1.8t
01-05-2007, 12:04 AM
BTW I havent Found Much on Body Styling kits

Lips F/R
Lip Kits
Carbon Fiber parts

etc etc

Any Ideas

haha, that would be a job for LLtek-http://www.lltek.com/a4_b5_indx.htm

thier stuff isn't exactly my cup of tea, but whatever floats your boat

ExpLlclT
01-05-2007, 12:38 AM
there aren't very many options for body styling lips mostly make the car look cheap IMO the RS4 and S4 bumpers are nice S4 bumpers need to be slightly modified tho rears not many options unless your willing to spend some serious cash for just a little upgrade custom stuff is always nice i like your old teg its clean

1 ate T
01-05-2007, 04:50 AM
May be somewhat helpful for you:

http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98919&highlight=newb+guide

RosenTurd
01-05-2007, 07:55 AM
I have to say How amazed I am atthe welcoming to the Euro Scene I have gotten in 2 days...

In 6 years in the honda scene I wouldnt of gotten even a hello , I honestly half expected to me flamed off the site for my post..

So Many thanks for all the help I think I have made the right switch..

On a side Note:

As I said above I will be looking at a 98 A4 1.8t Quattro this weekend

What Should I be looking for/ What should i be asking about..

Tanks from the Newb

Rob

sean1.8t
01-05-2007, 08:05 AM
mainly the maintenence things. ask them when and what services were done on the car and get records on them if you can.. the timing belt/water pump/tensioners is the big thing. should all be changed in 60-80k intervals. and thats usually a $1000 job from the dealer. when you drive it pay attention to the steering and suspension. control arms and tie rods are prone to failure after 50k.. thats all i can think of at this point cause its early so maybe someone else will chime in

loustylez
01-05-2007, 08:42 AM
a pink honda with "fuck pigs" sprayed on the front. awe-some. i would love to get pulled over in that shit.

RosenTurd
01-05-2007, 08:57 AM
a pink honda with "fuck pigs" sprayed on the front. awe-some. i would love to get pulled over in that shit.

I couldnt begin to tell the shit I did in that car..

Top story Id have to say would be when I drove into the Cincy Police HQ Parking Lot
Did a 4 min Burnout and then asked for directions while stating the culprit had just left... They got me on Camera BTW:::

haha

Rob

LateraLex
01-05-2007, 08:57 AM
You can check the control arms by pressing down on the corner of each car and listening on any squeeks. Also when driving crank the wheel all the way in each direction and drive slowly... you will be able to hear if the control arms are dead/dying. Not a deal breaker if they are bad but negotiate in about $150 for each bad one.

Timing belt replacement is a must and most dealerships won't have any documentation on them. Negotiate in a grand for that unless they have proof it was done.

Any history of oil changes is important, the turbos are prone to sludge issues if synthetic oil was not used and changed regularly. Same problem as before, I doubt they have documentation... and most dealers know to say it was synthetic so best of luck there.

Check the instrument cluster for missing lines. Most of us have this problem and the fix is $$$ so you may have to live with it.

Then there's the general car buying stuff:
I'd also recommend checking for leaks before the drive, and again afterwards after a hard drive. Specifically take a look behind the block for coolant leak, some cars develop a bad seal ($400).

If you are buying it from the actual owner I like to ask them to drive while I "mess with all the buttons". That gives me time to see if everything works and also lets me watch them drive. I was looking at a car and the chick romped on it right off the bat... plus her oil was low and looked like crap... passed on that car [:p]

Other than that there are probably some more threads on what to look for, but those are the major things.

Welcome to the forum, there is a ton of information here if you search through the archives.

fred2ka4
01-05-2007, 08:59 AM
I have to say How amazed I am atthe welcoming to the Euro Scene I have gotten in 2 days...

In 6 years in the honda scene I wouldnt of gotten even a hello , I honestly half expected to me flamed off the site for my post..

So Many thanks for all the help I think I have made the right switch..

On a side Note:

As I said above I will be looking at a 98 A4 1.8t Quattro this weekend

What Should I be looking for/ What should i be asking about..

Tanks from the Newb

Rob

I can't speak for everyone, but in my short time in the Euro scene I've learned that they (we) are not in competition with each other and it's a more close knit community of people. I like to see other ziners fix up their rides and it's not like, "Aahh man, he got a stage II setup so I HAVE to get a stage III!" It's more like if someone needs help as many people that can will help, wether you are new or been here for a while. The one thing you will get flamed on though, is asking questions that have been answered 13,894 times without searching first. [eek]

Welcome to the Zine and before you even get your car, lower it and paint your lowers ...... [:D] [:D] [:D]

RosenTurd
01-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Widest wheel able to fit???

9.5 10 10.5 ???

fred2ka4
01-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Widest wheel able to fit???

9.5 10 10.5 ???

All depends on your suspension, brake setup, and how much you are willing to roll your inner fender ....... [:D]

I have 19 x 8.5 all the way around with a stage II brake upgrade and staggered offset front to rear.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/AudiA42020.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j91/fred2ka4/AudiA42022.jpg

RosenTurd
01-05-2007, 02:30 PM
again thanks for all your help guys.. if anyone ever has a honda question, just ask...

AudiA4_20T
01-05-2007, 02:55 PM
welcome, I'd suggest that you skim over the B6 section if you want to see what goes, they have two noob threads with good information. Most of it is relevant to the B5, I was actually thinking of copying it over here and changing the parts that are B5 specific. What are your plans for the A4?

Hey I wrote performance thread... Feel free to copy it but youd have to do away with the 1+ file and add one for an FPR and maybe the difference between DBC/DBW... Maybe also add something about standalone... If u need anything let me know!

O and to the honda guy, Welcome man that pink one is quite a sight. Those B18C tegs with the Jap front end are HOT

sean1.8t
01-05-2007, 05:34 PM
if anyone ever has a honda question, just ask...

ya, ill definately keep that in mind [rolleyes]

haha, jk

bellofello
01-05-2007, 05:46 PM
again thanks for all your help guys.. if anyone ever has a honda question, just ask...
I've been looking into gettin a honda for use as a track/autocross slut. Just gut it chop the exhaust off, spraypaint it flat black, stuff like that lol.

I'm still not sure what motor to go. A couple of buddies have the b16a swapped in and love it, I've been thinking about the H22 also. What would you reccoment, keep in mind this will be pretty much cheep as possible.

Oh I also want to do home made ITB's as well.

Also, is there any awd conversion kits for hondas, not sure, I know there are some for VW golfs around, just wondering if anyone's done it. Because an awd h22a powered hatch with ITB's, cams, and stand alone would fly.

btw... welcome, I'd go for something a year newer, you won't regret spending a little more. I have a 99 (pre 99.5 like the one your looking at) and wish I would have looked into a 99.5

turbo kraut
01-05-2007, 06:20 PM
i am suprised no one has asked why the 98.5, good deal not found any 99.5's?

reason i say this is cause alot of people like the styling of the 99.5 over the 99 and older, but yet you still have the modability

hey4
01-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Hey I wrote performance thread... Feel free to copy it but youd have to do away with the 1+ file and add one for an FPR and maybe the difference between DBC/DBW... Maybe also add something about standalone... If u need anything let me know!

O and to the honda guy, Welcome man that pink one is quite a sight. Those B18C tegs with the Jap front end are HOT

thanx man, I might take you up on that this week sometime[up]

jrau13
01-05-2007, 10:54 PM
welcome[drive]

Militant-Grunt
01-05-2007, 11:04 PM
well since I was a Honda owner Im used to things breaking every god damned week

So i think Im going to shoot for basic Bolt ons for the motor as for the suspension Id like to go all out IE Koni shortend yellows or what ever else you guys would think worth wile..wheels Id like to do a HRE with as big of a dish as I can do so wheel size help would be great ... Carbotech pads are already on their way so that parts coverd

Diffs
LSDs

etc etc

thanks for the welcome and hello to all the Euro kids I hope to meet

Rob

Breaking every week?
A honda civic LOL Right and pigs fly.

Be prepared to sacrifice serious reliabilty for good looks and performance.