PDA

View Full Version : VES Valve

1 ate T
01-02-2007, 05:27 AM
Alright, I searched for some experience with this from ATP. Didn't find an answer that I liked...

I didn't see anyone that actually said if they liked it or not. My question comes up because I'm getting a full Borla for $150 (yeah nice deal), and it has one of these on it. Does anyone know if it makes any kind of sound? If so what's it like. And does it really help all that much?

Pondering this as I'm not sure if I will keep it on the exhaust.

bOOOOstedAudi
01-02-2007, 05:55 AM
keep it. whats it does it lets you run a nice quiet exhause until your at full boost. then it turn into a 3in downpipe that is extremely loud when you want it to be. at full boost its basically like running a short straight pipe exhaust.

1 ate T
01-02-2007, 06:09 AM
Ok, so right now I'm not chipped. But by the time I get this exhaust on I'll have an intake as well...(Chip next month). At 7psi can you see it being pretty loud?

offroader1006
01-02-2007, 06:51 AM
the boost level really wont make a difference on how loud the engine is.

you may hear the turbo more when you are boosting higher levels.

RAyala2.7T
01-02-2007, 08:04 AM
I'm wondering how much boost it takes to open the dump in the first place.

maxspeed
01-02-2007, 08:30 AM
rayla: it has an defineable sensor

sean: what a way to ruin a great exhaust...

1 ate T
01-02-2007, 08:42 AM
I'm just going to leave it to see what it's like.. If I end up not wanting it, I'm sure I could sell it.

Thanks guys [up]

johnnybravoa4
01-02-2007, 09:49 AM
it works by vacum you wont loose any boost, dont worry about that, they have a similar system on the new BMW on WOT but its no a complete dump like the one you have, its going to be loud but i bet it will sound kool...

1 ate T
01-02-2007, 09:50 AM
Yeah, I'll be getting it probably this weekend or next. I'll take a vid to let ya know what it sounds like, should be pretty nasty [up]

johnnybravoa4
01-02-2007, 09:57 AM
i was going to pick one of those up for shits and giggles for my BT set up, if you dont like it let me know..

b00st
01-02-2007, 10:01 AM
tell ya what...for k03/k04 applications....VES is not a good thing. if anything it will hurt you.

i ran open dp's on the dyno....which made me lose 20awhp.
as soon as i hooked up my exhaust i gained 20awhp....these turbo applications need some back pressure. maybe something bigger like a 28RS, or 2817, etc...will benefit better from a VES. sure you will be louder. but i ran open downpipes on the dyno and then with the exhaust system connected...and i gained 20awhp by having my exhaust system on....not bypassed.

ActiveMonkey
01-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Ok, I used to own one and here you go.

ATP says it starts to open @ 3psi and is fully open @ 7psi

for me it was a bit different. Fully open ~9psi but what ever. Now from a stop, it will slow your car down a lot. On the freeway it helps a lot. My only grievance was that I could not turn it on and off from inside the car. I mean this thing is louder than hell! For a K03 it really doesn’t help. For a BT I’m sure it would be awesome.

I ended up taking mine off because it was just too loud when I would floor it. Though I personally liked sometimes, all the time got to be a bit much...

Also expect your MPG to drop by ~2mpg-4mpg

it’s up to you, but I personally would not recommend it unless you have a BT or plan on putting one on in a few days. The VES Assembly gives you no real gain with a K03. My exhaust feels better on the freeway then the VES ever did, but like I said, it's up to you.

Worst case is you unplug the vacuum line and save it for when you go BT or just want to show off.

When i get home i'll see if i have a video or two...

b00st
01-02-2007, 10:15 AM
like i said...on a k03/k04 application. you will lose power...the hearing the loud noise may give the illusion of going faster but your not. since k03/k04s need back pressure...eliminating it is not the best idea. i already played this game.

just don't hook up the vac line...until you ditch the turbo and go to something bigger.

unlike the S4 when running open dp's you get gains....a4...you will not.

1 ate T
01-02-2007, 10:34 AM
That's why I was skeptical as I know that the K03 likes some back pressure... Not as much as it has stock, but you know what I mean.

I'll test it out since it's already on it... If I don't like it I'll just take it off. Shouldn't be too hard to just cut out a section and weld in a new one.

ActiveMonkey
01-02-2007, 11:09 AM
very true. If you dont feel like welding, you can always undo the T-bolt flange and remove the VES and put a metal disk in it's place... but the sound is awesome. I loved having that when i was in High School...

1 ate T
01-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Well the guy had it put in by a shop I believe. Because the picture looks different than the T or Y pipe for middle... I think he may have just bought the actual valve and the other sensor thing.

I'll probably like the sound for a couple months... But I'm sure I'll get tired of it. Especially with a 3"TP

SeanF
01-02-2007, 12:37 PM
it works by vacum you wont loose any boost, dont worry about that, they have a similar system on the new BMW on WOT but its no a complete dump like the one you have, its going to be loud but i bet it will sound kool...

you mean the 335i?

if so, it must not be anything like this because the 335 still has a very elegant sound even at full throttle.