PDA

View Full Version : someone smashersized my car

arizona steve
12-27-2006, 01:51 PM
yeaaaaaaa! first week in the new house car parked outside because the garage door doesnt work, and my car gets smashed in the rear driver side fender well. all the way around to the left tail light which will need to be replaced.

the lady left her card so shes def. paying for it all.i guess the only thing that can come out of this is maybe cooler tail lights, like some 99 and up's or something..

fuckin A, i hope theres no hidden damage cause its a pretty gnarly smash. i dont want to drive around like this....

bummer. big bummer.

pics to come so you guys can suggest what to do.

AudiSport12
12-27-2006, 01:54 PM
sucks man. just take it to a shop and let them and her ins. deal with it. but definatly ask for some 99.5 tails

definatly a bummer. i just got mine back from the bodyshop about 3 weeks ago.

LateraLex
12-27-2006, 02:26 PM
That sucks... I just had mine in the shop for the last 3 weeks. I had a chitty rental car

lude2euroa4
12-27-2006, 03:07 PM
if bumpers f'd you can get euro s4 :)

AudiSeefu
12-27-2006, 03:12 PM
that sucks man. I have an extra set of the newer taillights if you are interested.

RippleChip
12-27-2006, 03:13 PM
That sucks. But you can use the opportunity to get the front bumper repainted with not much of an additional cost.

europshhrc279
12-27-2006, 04:49 PM
sucks ..but for sure 99.5 tails! and any other little paint you might need you can prolly talk to the shop into doing it for you under the insurances $$$

arizona steve
12-27-2006, 04:55 PM
well i talked to the husband of the lady who hit me (they live right across the street.) they wanted me to go through this autobody place they always take their cars too (they probably get a discount there too, figures.) they offered to go through insurance, but it also sounds like they just want to pay out cash for getting it fixed.

the only thing im unsure about is going through their place, usually when they reffer you to their own bodyshop it means bad news and poor quality.

im going to shop around for places tomorrow; but i need to get this taken care of asap so the car is driveable.

the guy offered to send a tow truck tomorrow and get it taken care of this weekend; sounds like he really wants me to give him his business...ha.

he was spouting off a bunch of local tuners and clubs that he said he does work for so he actually sounded semi-decent, claimed he'd been there for 25 years etc etc.

i hate this part of cars..fixin stufffff!

how much is a set of 99.5 tails gona run me? i might just have to replace the one that is broken if they are paying for it...which i dont mind my 98.5 (or whatever they are..) ones. they arnt the hideous 96-97 or early 98's...

1 ate T
12-28-2006, 04:59 AM
^ eh... I would find something that you think does good work, or at least offers a guarantee...

Sounds slightly shady...

Who the F hits a parked car? Go through insuance... People that dense need a wake up.

RippleChip
12-28-2006, 05:57 AM
Take your car to Audi to get a quote, as well as a recommended independent repair shop. Show them the two quotes and say you will get it fixed on your own and ask for cash.

Then use it to buy the parts and get everything fixed. Being so keen to get them into their place you have to wonder. Check that shop out completely before saying anything

MultiAudis
12-28-2006, 07:11 AM
at least they are willing to pay and left a note... My accident last month was a hit and run that required new axle, control arms, fender, and front bumper... yay. But ya that sounds shady, I'd go with what Ripple said, just get some reputable quotes and ask for the cash and take care of it yourself.

GraysonF
12-28-2006, 07:36 AM
lets see a pic steve. or you could stay gnar with another few angryswede stickers.

b00st
12-28-2006, 08:03 AM
well i talked to the husband of the lady who hit me (they live right across the street.) they wanted me to go through this autobody place they always take their cars too (they probably get a discount there too, figures.) they offered to go through insurance, but it also sounds like they just want to pay out cash for getting it fixed.

the only thing im unsure about is going through their place, usually when they reffer you to their own bodyshop it means bad news and poor quality.

im going to shop around for places tomorrow; but i need to get this taken care of asap so the car is driveable.

the guy offered to send a tow truck tomorrow and get it taken care of this weekend; sounds like he really wants me to give him his business...ha.

he was spouting off a bunch of local tuners and clubs that he said he does work for so he actually sounded semi-decent, claimed he'd been there for 25 years etc etc.

i hate this part of cars..fixin stufffff!

how much is a set of 99.5 tails gona run me? i might just have to replace the one that is broken if they are paying for it...which i dont mind my 98.5 (or whatever they are..) ones. they arnt the hideous 96-97 or early 98's...

DEFINITELY GO WITH YOUR OWN SHOP. GO AROUND AND GET A FEW QUOTES AND SHOW THEM...IF THEY DON'T LIKE IT....YOU CAN USE THEIR INSURANCE...THEY HIT YOU SO THEY ARE OBLIGATED TO PAY. if they want to handle it on the side....thats up to you. but i wouldn't be going to any shop they recommend. it goes to a shop i want....obviously within reason. or your need to go through their insurance.

LateraLex
12-28-2006, 08:57 AM
I agree with these guys about getting a few quotes at shops of your choice. I'd definitely recommend giving them the option to pay the bill cash without involving insurance... that will save them $$ over the long run.

b00st
12-28-2006, 09:09 AM
and if you don't wanna go through THEIR insurance. you can go through your own. pay your collision deductible and your insurance company will pursue their insurance company to recover your deductible and the damage aka subrogation.

arizona steve
12-28-2006, 10:51 AM
yea well im going to the most expensive body shop in town, so they are going through their insurance. the car as it sits doesnt drive because the rear quarter panel got pushed so far in that its rubbing. i hope im not dealing with possible suspension issues? you never know...

they jammed it pretty hard. when whoever saw it first said "your car got backed into" i thought it was a little dent..then i went out and saw the whole rear quarter panel and tail light were shot to shit. i think its because they drive a big ass full size diesel and my car is so low..

anyways, i just dont want it half assed or bad looking so thats why i picked the most expensive and known place possible around here. im hoping they can repaint another knick from someone else hitting it...its only about the size of my fist but its dead center of the rear bumper (if theyre back there they might aswell repaint that too..)

...now if i could only get them to pay for my front bumper to be fixed aswell. haaaha...my car is a auto body guys wet dream; so much stuff so little time.

1 ate T
12-28-2006, 11:00 AM
Take it to the most expensive place to get a quote.. Then take it to a cheaper nice place to fix it, and pocket the rest... [up]

AudiTLC
12-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Take it to the most expensive place to get a quote.. Then take it to a cheaper nice place to fix it, and pocket the rest... [up]

how about trying to negotiate w/ the body shop to throw in the front bumper/other small knicks for the same price and throw on upgraded taillights, etc that would cost the same anyway. anything extra is based on your negotiating skills, not trying to pocket money from insurance companies or the neighbor.

that way you are returning the favor of being honest, like she was.

arizona steve
12-28-2006, 11:58 AM
yea im not trying to pocket some cash, but if i can get the other little mark near the area she hit me fixed, i might aswell.

the front bumper is completely F'ed from my view, i have no idea what a body guy would have to say about it. im not too worried cause i found a replacement stock bumper to trade for the paint-needing s4 bumper in my garage. so the front bumper is the least of my worries...but itd be nice to have some upgraded tail lights and fixed scrape in the backend while im at it..

flat bed tow truck is on its way as i type this

burner799
12-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Yea dude, going to a shop you want is a good plan. Same thing happend to my moms car once and the guy did a shitty job and my dad had to make him redo it. Just go to a shop you know will do a good job. They fucked up your car AND want the easy way out on top. da fuck is wrong with these people.

1 ate T
12-28-2006, 12:21 PM
how about trying to negotiate w/ the body shop to throw in the front bumper/other small knicks for the same price and throw on upgraded taillights, etc that would cost the same anyway. anything extra is based on your negotiating skills, not trying to pocket money from insurance companies or the neighbor.

that way you are returning the favor of being honest, like she was.

Why is that not being honest?

You have to take time out of your day to do something you should have never had to... And for what, just to change it back to how it was before it was wrecked? Don't make a lot of sense to me.

Example: I wrecked my Jetta and ended up taking it for a quote. I had a friend that did body work, so I had him fix that. In the meantime while "pocketing" the money I bought other things for the car, such as a new grill, signals, trim, shift knob... Essentials that are nice to get for "free".

But hey, whatever floats your boat [up]

b00st
12-28-2006, 12:33 PM

insurance companies don't work that way. its rare you get to pocket anything.
just cuz you take it to the most expensive place in town and they its a bazillion dollars to fix....doesn't mean they write a check for a bazillion dollars. if you opt not to take it to take to one of their preferred shops....they will come visit your car and write and estimate for your damages....and hand you a check...should you wanna get it fixed at the most expensive place in town....you pay the difference.

now if there is hidden damage...then that shop needs to call in for a supplemental.
but don't think the insurance company who is paying isn't going to want to look at the car and write their own estimates. they already have set numbers they for things, like framing, mechanical, labor, paint, etc...so it doesn't matter where you go. i'm an insurance agent this is what i do.

arizona steve
12-28-2006, 12:34 PM
well i dont have a car to drive around and get estimates for different places, so it makes it real difficult to get a high quote and pocket some cash.

but, screw the neighbor. we just moved in last week, and she did this. just now as the car was being towed away on the flat bed she opened her garage and got something out of her big stupid truck and didnt even have the balls to wave, say "hi, welcome to the neighborhood sorry about smashing the ever living shit out of your car and ruining your holiday." or even make eye contact. F her.

im 20 so i dont think ill be able to get a rental car, but maybe ill be able to have my parents drive it and get one of their cars. because i need something to drive during this whole bullshit.

it makes sense to ask for more than to just return my car to how it was. because the invonvience of me being on the phone for hours and hours this morning, along with trying to get rides and a rental car til this thing is fixed will be a major pain in the ass. so hopefully i can at least get some newer model tail lights and the rear re-painted...

...think they will fix my leaking power steering hose too? ha

1 ate T
12-28-2006, 12:58 PM
insurance companies don't work that way. its rare you get to pocket anything.
just cuz you take it to the most expensive place in town and they its a bazillion dollars to fix....doesn't mean they write a check for a bazillion dollars. if you opt not to take it to take to one of their preferred shops....they will come visit your car and write and estimate for your damages....and hand you a check...should you wanna get it fixed at the most expensive place in town....you pay the difference.

now if there is hidden damage...then that shop needs to call in for a supplemental.
but don't think the insurance company who is paying isn't going to want to look at the car and write their own estimates. they already have set numbers they for things, like framing, mechanical, labor, paint, etc...so it doesn't matter where you go. i'm an insurance agent this is what i do.

I wouldn't have said anything if I hadn't had experience with Insurance companies. So don't presume that I am dense.

Plus I work for State Farm [up]

I never said they would give you what was quoted, but it's the best way to get as much as possible.

swes2006
12-28-2006, 01:00 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y100/swes2006/this_thread_is_worthless_without_pi.gif

sean1.8t
12-28-2006, 05:59 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y100/swes2006/this_thread_is_worthless_without_pi.gif

^^^^