PDA

View Full Version : 5.25 front adaptors?

matt719
12-26-2006, 07:54 AM
I need to get some 5.25 adaptors... or make them or something. I've heard the only place to get them is Nexia in Europe and it costs hundreds $$$, so that isn't an option. Can I make something that would work?

I guess I really want to know what the adaptor needs to do.

I know a lot of guys are running 5.25's up front, so what did you do?

d_maniac
12-26-2006, 08:56 AM
at nexia they cost like 15-20 dollars

bassed
12-26-2006, 11:16 AM

Yup whoever told him 100's of dollars was very misinformed. You actually don't really even need adapters. You can make it work with a little tweaking and a few items from Home Depot.

Daft
12-26-2006, 11:39 AM

Well, this is true but, the shipping is kinda pricey too. I'm pretty sure that my total was about $35 door to door.

Just for future reference:

item model number: SAK-1104 (95-99 Audi A4 front door speaker ring - 130mm)
item brand: Autoleads

matt719
12-26-2006, 12:30 PM
this might be a dumb question, but what is the Nexia website? Google just comes up with a bunch of biotech companies.

bassed
12-26-2006, 12:34 PM
http://www.nexxia.co.uk/index.html

matt719
12-26-2006, 01:33 PM
It doesn't specify whether this is for one adaptor or for both; I'm assuming it's just one. It'll be about 55 USD shipped.. I'm curious because Daft said the adaptors were $35 shipped, and I'm guessing he got two of them.

I kind of want to get the adaptors and not mess around... but to save $50, how would I construct something with Home Depot parts?

I'm familiar with Jimmy-rigging things for sure, but I was just thinking with speakers... and vibration... it might not work out well.

voodooA4
12-26-2006, 02:39 PM
I need to buy a set of adapters too, so I emailed them about the price. I'll let you know when they email me back.

dukez
12-26-2006, 03:40 PM
I bought mine from this place: http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product.php?currency=USD&products_id=1883

Trust me, just pay for them vs trying to ghetto rig something up. Its worth it. They work beautifully. <-- key word.

matt719
12-26-2006, 06:01 PM
I bought mine from this place: http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product.php?currency=USD&products_id=1883

Trust me, just pay for them vs trying to ghetto rig something up. Its worth it. They work beautifully. <-- key word.

So is that price for just one of them, or for both?

Unrelated question:

If i get component speakers with a crossover... where do I mount the crossover?

Also:

Anyone who uses these adaptors... do you have to worry about the speakers being too deep? I'm thinking of MB Quartz components based on what other people are using.

dukez
12-26-2006, 07:37 PM
I guess that price is for one. I'm trying to remeber though, because i dont recall paying that much for them. Shrug.

Worth buying anyways, should check if you can find it elsewhere cheaper. Perhaps EBAY.

juju4uofa
12-26-2006, 07:39 PM
Well, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you're not going to be able to use the crossover if your using the stock HU. It already has a crossover network built in since the car comes stock with components. If your running an aftermarket HU then you obviously will use them. I've always heard the best place to mount crossovers were as close to the signal as possible in other words close to your HU. There really isn't a very good place. You may can stash them in the door somewhere, just make sure they won't be able to get wet.

As for the adaptors. I first made mine from MDF. This was absolutely stupid because there wasn't nearly enough room for the door panel to fit back on the door (poor planing on my part). Anyway, long story short, I ended up drilling holes in the metal surrond of the actual speakers so that I could use the stock three mounting holes. Obviously you have to be very careful not to harm the speaker itself but I believe this is one of the easiest and definetely the cheapest way to go.

Daft
12-27-2006, 08:50 AM
The price I paid ($35) was for a pair of the speaker adapter rings. That was from nexxia.

The link to www.caraudiosecurity.com is for the same kit. The kit is a pair of adapter rings (Autoleads SAK-1104).

As far a crossover networks are concerned, you can use them with the factory HU. If you buy a component speaker set, you will have a crossover box that will connect both the woofer and tweeter to ONE speaker line from your radio/amp.

The speaker line from the HU feeds the crossover box. The crossover box feeds the woofer and tweeter. Usually these units are designed to mimic a 4ohm load and prevent a low ohm situation on the HU output lead.

Ohm load guidelines

If you have one 4ohm speaker, your total load is 4ohms. If you have two speakers and you simply splice them together (pos to pos, neg to neg) you are laying them in parallel and thus halfing the impedance. This is now a 2ohm load. This may be too much for a stock HU and some aftermarket amps.

If you cannot support a 2ohm load, you would then consider wiring your speakers in series (pos from radio to pos on speaker one, neg on speaker one to pos on speaker two, neg on speaker two to neg from radio). This will double your impedance and result in an 8ohm load. This is rather tricky with component sets since they are protected by capacitors and coils to filter harmful frequencies out of each respective speaker. This is also why most component sets will use additional parts on the circuit board to create the 4ohm load and prevent an overload on the radio's output.

If you are concerned about the load from your component set, put a multitester in ohm mode and read the line in terminals on the crossover once the speakers are both connected.

Depending upon the size of the crossover box, you may or may not find a suitable place to store it inside the door panel. Typically most units are fairly small and can be housed inside the area near the grab handle. You will have to take measurements to be sure. I don't recommend putting the crossover inside the door shell where the widow travels. it gets wet in there and will eventually result in corosion. If you cannot store it in the door, you will have to put it in the knee bolster area and pull two new lines through the door boot to supply power to the speakers.

RJW01A4Q
12-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Here ya go... If you dont want to pay any money for the adapters here's the how to:

http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2639923.phtml