PDA

View Full Version : K04 Question

NFryan
12-21-2006, 07:30 AM
Im looking to get a ko4 kit with injectors, chip, turbo, ecu flash, and new diverter valve,,,,.. I have a 1998 a4 automatic.... Is this safe to upgrade to with an auto tip tranny?? Or will i blow it...,,, I have heard about a tip chip but is this def a requirement.... Or can i get by without the tip chip?...

badassbaldie
12-21-2006, 07:54 AM
Normally, you would get hammered with "Go Search" comments, but it's the holiday season and most are probably being nice...

You'll be fine with a K04 and a Tip tranny. You don't need injectors unless you are going PC-16 (most aggressive K04 file). Then you will need an adjustable FPR. Anything beyond K04 (as in BT), you should definitely consider a tranny upgrade.

While a Tip Chip is not necessary, it is often recommended for better shifting...

Merry Christmas

NFryan
12-21-2006, 08:02 AM
So what file is normally or most often used with the Ko4... the pc-16? Besides that one which one is a good choice that makes good power with stock injectors? And can i run a Ko4 with my stock ecu safely untill i can get it upgraded..

badassbaldie
12-21-2006, 08:19 AM
So what file is normally or most often used with the Ko4... the pc-16? Besides that one which one is a good choice that makes good power with stock injectors? And can i run a Ko4 with my stock ecu safely untill i can get it upgraded..

You can run a standard GIAC K04 file with stock injectors and a 5 bar FPR (Stock FPR is 4 bar). This is probably the most popular/common file. Wetterauer has a K04 file, however, it is not nearly as good as the GIAC IMHO. I've had both...

You CAN run stock ECU programming with a K04, but, there won't be the optimal gains (obviously).

NFryan
12-21-2006, 08:33 AM
Where is the best place to get the 5 bar regulator... I have seen the stock 4 bar or a few adjustables on ecs... dont really know where to get it

a4cefed
12-21-2006, 08:34 AM
SEARCH !
j/k

you will be fine with the stock ecu and fpr.
awe has the 5 bar

NFryan
12-21-2006, 08:37 AM
nice thanks 4 all the help guys

ShawFM
12-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Where is the best place to get the 5 bar regulator... I have seen the stock 4 bar or a few adjustables on ecs... dont really know where to get it
If you are looking for the real bosch motorsport 5 bar FPR hard to come by, Mech Tronic in NY state is the distributor that Bosch sent me to. About $140 shipped, if you are looking for a modified 4 bar then neuspeed, or look for an adjustable. As far as the k04 and the tip I am in the process of installing the MTM stage 3 k04setup. As soon as I have full use of my hand again I will complete the install. As the car sits now, everything from the manifold back has been removed and the modded cat and 2.5" dp are installed. nothing else.

a4cefed
12-21-2006, 03:54 PM
whats the mtm stage 3 k04 ?

ShawFM
12-21-2006, 04:12 PM
whats the mtm stage 3 k04 ?
It is actually now called MTM 245
About 245hp and 260 ft pound pricey if you buy directly from Hoppen cheaper if you piece it together and are able to get the software through an upgrade.
Hoppen (http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com/A4_B5.htm)
Old Hoppen link (http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com/a418ttuning.htm)

MSMITTY
12-21-2006, 06:34 PM
I have tip chip with awe k04 upgrade & it's a blast to drive with the quick shifts :) it's worth the $.

Good luck !

maxspeed
12-21-2006, 09:27 PM
I have tip chip with awe k04 upgrade & it's a blast to drive with the quick shifts :) it's worth the $.

Good luck !

manual tranny FTW

StreetUrchin
12-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Ok ok ok, my 2001.5 Tip just had a k04 put into it yesterday, and the tuning is getting done tomorrow by the renowned "software" guru Jeff Moss.

I'm going to be running the Hammer file. It is the only one he uses and he says the rest are too glitchy. All I needed to get was -

K04
K04 install kit (gaskets)
Oil feed line
New injectors
MAF

That's it. He says the software is designed to work on the standard FPR.

Hope this helps!

badassbaldie
12-21-2006, 11:14 PM
Ok ok ok, my 2001.5 Tip just had a k04 put into it yesterday, and the tuning is getting done tomorrow by the renowned "software" guru Jeff Moss.

I'm going to be running the Hammer file. It is the only one he uses and he says the rest are too glitchy. All I needed to get was -

K04
K04 install kit (gaskets)
Oil feed line
New injectors
MAF

That's it. He says the software is designed to work on the standard FPR.

Hope this helps!

You are DBW, which is a different animal all together...