PDA

View Full Version : what to do?

lude2euroa4
12-19-2006, 01:41 PM
I was on my way to work i go over railroad tracks that i pass everyday, today was not an ordinary day...

after going over them at about 30mph which is pretty slow compared to my usual speed over them i hear a loud drone, sounds like a truck pulled up next to me.

i look around no truck, i step on the gas to accelarate after the light i realize its my car, my first thought was that a hose popped off from my FMIC, i get to work look under the hood and my CAT is cracked off my turbo and shifted over. Basiclly i have an exhuast on which is not even being used.

i ask my boy rich if hes ever heard of that and he says its a common failure! WTF! whatever, im thinking i should remove the cat and get a custom exhuast from turbo back. with no cat

so what should i do??

im thinking magnaflow muffler with s4 muffler and some nice magnaflow dual wall tips.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/mnieroda28/catconv-2.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/mnieroda28/catconv-1.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/mnieroda28/catconv.jpg

maxspeed
12-19-2006, 01:44 PM
borla + test pipe [up]

offroader1006
12-19-2006, 01:44 PM
same thing happened to me, it is pretty common.

i marked the flange and the cat so i could realign them out of the car, pressed it back on and welded it back together. never had any more problems.

i gutted the cat at the same time as well.

1 ate T
12-19-2006, 01:54 PM
borla + test pipe [up]

+1...

lude2euroa4
12-19-2006, 01:56 PM
how did you go about gutting the cat?

btw i drove it to the mechanic which is like 10 min drive, i think i almost passed out 3 times from the fumes and sulfur smell

is gutting the cat the same thing as just getting pipe from turbo back?

**Off Topic** i remeber a guy in edison,nj wanting to sell me his s4 muffler. is there anyway to search members location? (mod wanna chime in)

lude2euroa4
12-19-2006, 01:57 PM
i wont go borla, its too loud for me, i need a stealth exhuast, rear low queit tone. something like miltek or the combo i stated above.

Poopie
12-19-2006, 02:00 PM
you can weld the flange back on if you don't feel like spending the money on doing another exhaust. What exhaust do you have now? there is a group buy for a test pipe for 130ish. $4 for antifoulers and you're set.

1 ate T
12-19-2006, 02:00 PM
I would assume gutting a cat would be slightly restrictive. It's not like you could get all of the pieces out...

Actually I changed my mind, get a HFC... the smell gets so annoying sometimes.

a4cefed
12-19-2006, 02:01 PM
just got the borla and must say its a tad louder than i like, you might wanna go with the miltek its so almost non existant, and stay away from a test pipe if you dont like loud exhaust or exhaust fumes.

offroader1006
12-19-2006, 02:03 PM
to gut the cat, isert screw driver and hammer, then finish with a pole

lude2euroa4
12-19-2006, 02:04 PM
ok so from the sound of it i might just weld the cat back to its flange and get a custom exhuast from catback, even though i was thinking it would be eaiser if i got the piping from turbo back. but like said above i dont want that sulfur and fume smell.

i would get that smell if i went turbo back right? but it would be bhind the car not like it is now wheres its coming straight out of my engine bay.

1 ate T
12-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Whenever you get it fixed, with a test pipe, or a turbo back you'll smell it in the rear. You may even smell a HFC a little bit.

Whenever you stop after being on the highway or going fast... the back draft will come through your windows and sunroof. Just a warning.

offroader1006
12-19-2006, 02:07 PM
ok, first off this in no way affects your existing exhaust system past the catalyst.

so any exhaust replacing is unneccesary.

secondly, you will not get a sulfur smell with a gutted cat. that smell is created by the catalyst material.

all you have to do to fix this is remove the cat and weld it. and since it is already out, gutting it takes 15 secs.

lude2euroa4
12-19-2006, 02:19 PM
i know that getting an exhuast is unnessesary i just want one :)

Euro
12-19-2006, 05:52 PM
How'd it sound? [:)]

funny that this is a common thing....

sean1.8t
12-19-2006, 06:02 PM
im more suprised that you were running your stock cat in the first place. aren't you ko4'd? and i assume/hope you are running some sort of heatshield. just removed it for the pic right?

Rosati
12-19-2006, 07:43 PM
My flexpipe just went on me

It sounded like absolute shit but kind of a heavily modified A4 w/ say 3" and a test pipe so it was "kinda" cool

THe turbo didnt spool for shit due to lack of backpressure, so it really sucked

My car was a mess, picture this

No bumper and huge exhaust leak after the downpipe

German rice

But lude, if you can afford it, then shit, go for it

Borla cant be too loud for you , its the most quiet

Dont even think of a Test pipe if you want to "be quiet"

94jedi
12-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Lude, that's a common point of failure. a few months ago I would've said test pipe and called it a day. I honestly think a HFC is better. trust me bro-HFC is the way to go. I'm sure onemoremile will chime in here shortly. pick up the labree version. It's cheap, something like $250. Then consider the borla or go custom w/ a S4 OEM muff and 2.5" from the cat back(which includes the DP). That's honestly how I would do it now that I've run catless for several months. People get in my car and complain about the smell. I'm used to it now but eventually the wife and I want to have a few kids and I don't want them inhaling noxious fumes. My only problem now is finding a good 3" HFC and doing a custom 3" exhaust w/ a relatively quiet muff.

Poopie
12-19-2006, 08:01 PM
i have a gutted cat and can't smell shit. I must be retarded.

94jedi
12-19-2006, 08:05 PM
i have a gutted cat and can't smell shit. I must be retarded.

nah, you're used to it.

panix73
12-19-2006, 08:17 PM
this happend to me over the summer.. same thing. I'm driving with some traffic and all of the sudden it sounded like there was an 18 wheeler next to me down shifting and trying to pass me..

well the point is that after seeing about getting it welded back I was told that there is a new york state law that requires cats to have an 8year/80,000mile warranty. And my car being a 99.5 with 65,000miles, I seemed to be covered but still skeptical if they would cover it or not and figured it was worth a shot since they were going to charge me $140 to weld it back. So I just brought the car into my local Audi dealership and it turns out it was I was covered even though the manufacturer warranty was up. They ordered the part and even installed it at no charge.. So maybe that is worth looking into. Checkout to see NJ has any similar laws on that.

lude2euroa4
12-20-2006, 02:40 PM
im not going borla, rich(starting) has borla and its way to loud, i think its louder from inside the car then out.

anyway im looking to do a custom exhuast i just need to find an s4 muffler... can you put tips on an s4 muffler?

i like the magnaflow dual wall tips...

btw i have a k03, the intercooler on the front looks mean, i plan on going bt sooner then later.

AudiA4_20T
12-20-2006, 02:45 PM
borla + test pipe [up]

Sounded nice on my B5 but soooo loud

sean1.8t
12-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Sounded nice on my B5 but soooo loud

i have that combo and i don't think that you know what loud really is

BranCKY3
12-20-2006, 05:22 PM
i have that combo and i don't think that you know what loud really is

I had it too... you don't know loud til you run 3" turboback without mufflers [:p]

Ado
12-20-2006, 06:04 PM
just run a test pipe.

dualaudi
12-31-2006, 05:54 PM
is gutting the cat the same thing as just getting pipe from turbo back?

I was hoping someone would chime in.. i have CLEAN gutted cat... is this basically the same as test pipe?

Question 2. would a gutted cat effect boost? i have a k04 with APR programming... spikes at 15 then shortly goes down to 10 in higher RPM's...