PDA

View Full Version : DTC trouble codes

nyburner
12-19-2006, 11:49 AM
The B5 1.8t I bought used a couple weeks ago is now showing a check engine light intermittenly. My last turbo car [SRT4] actually had a method show showing the trouble code on the dash w/out a OBDII scan tool. I know its unlikely, but does the B5 have a way to do this also?

Otherwise, anyone know what kind scan tool can is compatiable? I don't really feel like shelling $115 at the stealership just to find out what it is.

lovintheboost
12-19-2006, 11:54 AM
here you go. i dont have or know how to use one but it can tell you pretty much everything going on under the hood

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/

Rons01B5
12-19-2006, 12:03 PM
autozone. or depending where you live i can scan the codes for you

Daft
12-19-2006, 01:43 PM
The B5 1.8t I bought used a couple weeks ago is now showing a check engine light intermittenly. My last turbo car [SRT4] actually had a method show showing the trouble code on the dash w/out a OBDII scan tool. I know its unlikely, but does the B5 have a way to do this also?

Otherwise, anyone know what kind scan tool can is compatiable? I don't really feel like shelling $115 at the stealership just to find out what it is.

You have two options:

1. the generic code scanner at Autozone, Advance Auto etc...

2. VAG-COM

VAG-COM requires a PC/laptop with a serial port, 9pin serial cable and an adapter that will convert the 9pin to a OBDII format that is compatible to VAG.

www.obdtool.com

Eitherway, VAG-COM isn't completely free. The demo mode is but, is limited in features. I can't recall how many codes it will show at once in demo mode.

On a possitive note, you can post your codes here and we can explain them.

offroader1006
12-19-2006, 02:05 PM
btw, diagnostic trouble codes

nyburner
12-19-2006, 04:34 PM
i knew the acronym, i named the thread just to make it easy.
just gonna buy one myself if any scanner will do. thanks.