PDA

View Full Version : Misfiring.. GRRR

boosteda4
12-18-2006, 09:00 PM
Hey Guys.. my car started misfiring the other day... I replaced the spark plugs, and it still mis-fires.. so i loosened all my coilpacks and ran the car for a little bit pulling each coilpack out individually.. i noticed when id pull the coilpack out of the second cylinder nothing different would happen (the rest would cause the car to misfire more obviously) so my second cylnder for some reason isnt firing, i swapped coilpacks and that wasnt the problem... i did a compression test and it has compression.. anyone have any ideas.. my search brought up the ignition control module... but would that cause ONE cylinder to fail? I would think they would all fail if it was the control module.. any help is greatly appreciated.. i need my car.. =( Thanks!!

Adam

turbo944s2
12-18-2006, 10:43 PM
What kind of plugs are you running? Before and after the swap. My car ran like crap with the original bosch plugs and with denso iridiums in it. It would misfire in the 3rd cylinder at high loads only in 4th and 5th gear. I put in some regular copper NGK's and its been running like a dream ever since.

benzteck
12-18-2006, 10:53 PM
I would look at the power output stages or ignition amp N122 modules, I believe they are mounted on top of the air box and are know to fail

Ado
12-18-2006, 10:58 PM
yea i would have to say ignition control module

A4Rob
12-18-2006, 11:09 PM
First check to see if your Plugs are a REALLY REALLY tight 28 gap. I had this same problem once and the one plug was not a tight enough gap

Quattrocket
12-19-2006, 12:04 AM
Same thing happened to me, it was the ICM. what happens is that there is a wire inside there that breaks away, I think poor solder. most people seem to have it on cyl 2 or 3. mine was on 2 as well.

1.8G
12-19-2006, 12:18 AM
Adam, definately the ICM, I had the same problem on cyl #2.

This link will explain everything you ever wanted to know about the icm, but most importantly, demonstrates how to test the unit.

http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1594531.phtml

Typically, the stock one fails because the terminal controlling #2 cyl. is not adequately soldered, and deteriorates during the thousands of heat cycles they are subjected to.

Most people replace the stock unit with the huco unit. This is the cheapest one I could find

(3/4 of the way down this page)
http://getcoolparts.com/epcvsoapimc.epc?cookieID=1YZ079IKB1YZ07A7XX&drillid=8&subcatid=801079@@Ignition+System&clientid=getcoolparts

GraysonF
12-19-2006, 08:04 AM
when my icm went, i had a misfire in cylinder 2. go with ecstuning

boosteda4
12-19-2006, 08:59 PM
thanks guys.. i didnt run that test.. i just ordered the ICM... its only 89.00 bucks so if that doesnt fix it, at least i replaced it.. wish me luck. I'll update you guys soon as it comes in and is swapped.. im having it overnighted.. =)

E Fresh
12-19-2006, 09:07 PM
I just replaced my ICM last week because of a misfire in cylinder 3. It solved the problem. The new module should solve your problem.

boosteda4
12-22-2006, 05:26 PM
My Huco ICM came in this morning replaced it.. worked perfectly.. thanks guys!! =)

[az] [az] [az] [az] [az]