PDA

View Full Version : Xenon retrofit . . .

Wilco
12-18-2006, 04:14 PM
I know that the xenon/HID e-code housings are slightly different from the halogen ones, but I'm wondering if the only difference is the projectors in both? If I were to buy one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VALEO-XENON-PROJECTORS-HID-AUDI-A4-BALLASTS-D1S_W0QQitemZ180064810132QQihZ008QQcategoryZ36476Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem would I be able to retrofit them to standard halogen housings to get the exact same thing I would get with the xenon/HID housings? Am I missing something?

I've got a deal on some halogen ones if I can do this, but if I can't I'd rather hold out for the right ones. If I'm gonna spend the money, I want to do it right the first time.

salz2135
12-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Here are two good options:

1. If you really want the true valeo HID housings, just purchase a set here on AZ. I see them being sold for a good price all the time. At that point you will have to buy valeo HID buibs/ballasts as well to make a truly OEM upgrade (this is the more expensive upgrade).

2. Or, the route I would go would be to get a set up 1-piece valeo halogen housings either US spec of ecode depending on how much you want to spend. Get an H7 HID conversion kit and install it into the halogen housings. The beam pattern you get will be nice, although not perfectly designed for the xenon builds as the S4 housings I talk about above would have (cheaper, yet just as good option IMO).

Poopie
12-18-2006, 04:44 PM
You would want DS2 projectors if you wanted to go with a xenon projector. Salz is right, instead of retro fitting a new projector in, just go ahead and pick a xenon housing and get the 230 ds2 kit off ebay. A AZ memeber sells them so you can track him down for more info. It would be cheaper and you can also sell your current setup too to offset the cost.

salz2135
12-19-2006, 09:03 AM
Here is a good way to upgrade your halogen housings:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDI-A4-B6-B5VALEO-HID-XENON-D2S-CONVERSION-SYSTEM-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36476QQihZ016QQitem Z260063543310QQrdZ1

Direct OEM installation right there.

Daft
12-19-2006, 09:32 AM
would I be able to retrofit them to standard halogen housings to get the exact same thing I would get with the xenon/HID housings? Am I missing something?

I've got a deal on some halogen ones if I can do this, but if I can't I'd rather hold out for the right ones. If I'm gonna spend the money, I want to do it right the first time.

Lets just make sure we're all on the same page here....

You want to take a set of 1-piece headlights that use projectors already and swap the projectors out in favor of the OEM D2S projectors?

OR

You have 2-piece headlights and want to somehow retrofit projectors into them?

You haven't listed your car's year so, I can't say for sure what lights are on your car right now.

The short answer to this whole scenario is:

You need a housing that will use a projector assembly. Either the OEM Valeo ones or the aftermarket Depo ones can solve that problem. Once that goal is met, you can then add an HID system to bring it up to full HID lighting setup. As the others have stated, OEM HID parts are 100% recommended (this includes bulbs). Try to steer clear of non-Philips or non-Osram parts. Real parts will have Philips or Osram brand markings on them.

killroy77
12-19-2006, 09:56 AM
I agree with most of those above statements. What type of headlights to do you currently have? Also those Valeo's listed in the first POST are 3in lens projectors. If you have the Valeo 1 piece headlights you need the the 2.5in lens projectors. You can go either D1S or D2S OEM valeo projectors. IF you can find the E-Code ones they are much better then DOT. Those 3in lens valeos listed are from a Jaguar XJ8. I would stay away from an H7 HID kit due to the fact that if you later decide to go D2S, as I DID you would have to get a whole new setup. Your better off getting a set of H7 to D2S adapter rings, with D2S Bulbs, and Ballasts.

offroader1006
12-19-2006, 02:14 PM
im pretty sure with the H7 to D2S rings in place, the caps wont fit on the back of the headlight assemblies.

i run D2S bulbs in the non Xenon ecodes and it barely fits, i use a peice of shaped rubber on the cover to locate the bulb/socket.

Wilco
12-19-2006, 02:28 PM
Thanks for all the feedback - I've got a 98.5 currently with the hideous two-piece headlights. I saw a deal on some halogen ecodes which was why I wanted to see if they could have the xenon projectors added, but I think I'm going to wait until I can get ahold of some xenon housings (either in the AZ classifieds, or ebay, or something).

Which actually raises another question - when shopping around on ebay, are there ways I can tell the difference between the xenon and halogen housings (if the seller doesn't specify)?

killroy77
12-19-2006, 03:43 PM
THey do fit just fine. I used them for a few years. The H7 Projectors are a little shorter then the D2S which is why they work perfectly. as far as space is concerned. When looking for D2S or H7 housings on Ebay, you will find the D2S ones are opened up on the bottom for the ballast to mount and a big opening for the wiring and you can see directly into the headlight. The H7 do not have the opening on the bottom. Otherwise they are basically the same housings with different projectors, and the HID verisons come with the auto-leveling.

Here is the page that shows the how to upgrade. I had to do the same thing on mine.

http://members.aol.com/drewinva/audi/euro_conversion.html