PDA

View Full Version : warm up

smoothie
12-18-2006, 10:42 AM
how long does it usually take your cars to warm up? takes mine about 5 minutes or so till the collant is at operating temp... theat seems normal but my heater doesn't blow warm air.... it's not cold, but definatly not warm. I'm thinking the thermostat is stuck open but then again the car warms up fine. [confused]

johnnybravoa4
12-18-2006, 10:57 AM
it depends for me how cold it is outside.. but i usually dont get hot air till the temp is in normal operting range, my heat wont turn on till the car warms up when i put it in Auto

94jedi
12-18-2006, 11:18 AM
about 3-5 mins for it to warm up enough to drive. from there I take it easy(no boost, rpms below 3500) until the coolant and oil are both at oper. temp. I also run BKR 7E's so it takes the plugs a few mins after warmup to get to self cleaning temp or they misfire.

smoothie
12-18-2006, 11:37 AM
well that puts me at ease a little...

the t-belt was suposedly done 20K ago... i didn't check the reciet to see if the water pump and thermostat was done also. will do that when i get home.

thanks guys [up]

onemoremile
12-18-2006, 11:53 AM
With the ambient temp in the 30's it takes the oil temp needle about 5 minutes to move up from it's rest. It takes about 3-5 minutes for warm air to start blowing. Luckily it only take about a minute for the seat heater to warm up.

I let the car idle until the idle drops to 800. Then stay under 3k rpm and 0 boost until the oil needle moves. Then I'll start taking it to 4k rpm or so but nothing crazy until the oil is a bit warmer.

1 ate T
12-18-2006, 11:55 AM
I get in after a cold night of sitting and floor it with full boost. no problems for me. [:D]

johnnybravoa4
12-18-2006, 11:57 AM
my car was from flordia no more heated seats..[:(]

With the ambient temp in the 30's it takes the oil temp needle about 5 minutes to move up from it's rest. It takes about 3-5 minutes for warm air to start blowing. Luckily it only take about a minute for the seat heater to warm up.

I let the car idle until the idle drops to 800. Then stay under 3k rpm and 0 boost until the oil needle moves. Then I'll start taking it to 4k rpm or so but nothing crazy until the oil is a bit warmer.

smoothie
12-18-2006, 12:07 PM
I get in after a cold night of sitting and floor it with full boost. no problems for me. [:D]

thats one way to create sludge....[rolleyes]

EDIT: \/\/\/ good point, skipped my mind...

onemoremile
12-18-2006, 12:12 PM
I'd worry about wear more than sludge. Cold oil is a pretty half assed lubricant. Add cold pistons, rings, rods, crank, cylinders, etc.. and you've got a whole lot of parts banging around. Part of the reason to warm up an engine gently is that metal parts expand as they get hotter. Waiting until everything is at nominal working size before beating on it prevents abnormal wear. Get it into it's happy place and then boot it.

1 ate T
12-18-2006, 12:23 PM
lol that'd be funny... I actually cannot stand when people get in their car and take off... No matter the car, it deserves some sort of warm up time.

I want to slap people sometimes.

onemoremile
12-18-2006, 12:27 PM
A friend that lives out in a little rural town has an IROC under a cover in their pole barn. His mom bought it new and cherishes it. One sunny but cold spring day she backs it out and does a huge burnout and pulls it back in. The engine was still cool afterwards. He said that was the first time he ever yelled at his mom.

1 ate T
12-18-2006, 12:29 PM
A friend that lives out in a little rural town has an IROC under a cover in their pole barn. His mom bought it new and cherishes it. One sunny but cold spring day she backs it out and does a huge burnout and pulls it back in. The engine was still cool afterwards. He said that was the first time he ever yelled at his mom.

lmao, [up] good story.