PDA

View Full Version : gt28rs?

johnnybravoa4
12-16-2006, 08:39 PM
I took off all the hoses today to get a look at the turbo just for kicks since I just bought the car. Well I found enough oil inside the tubing and a small amount pooled on the inside of the turbo to make me worry... Im new to this whole turbo thing, even though my last car was a 1.8t as well i still am lost when it comes to turbos... My friend told me the shaft had a tiny bit of play in it, i couldnt tell.. he also said due to the oil we found its a good asumption its on the way out.. can someone shed some light on this for me..

also when i talked to APR they said the turbo was not rebuildable, why? couldnt i just send it back to garrett and have them rebuild it?

JumboBlack1.8
12-16-2006, 10:47 PM
By "not rebuildable", that could just mean they want you to dish out the money to buy a NEW one. They might not want u to give someone else ur money to repair it...Just my 2 cents

sean1.8t
12-17-2006, 12:02 AM
you cant rebuild a GT series turbo. so yes they are telling the truth

johnnybravoa4
12-17-2006, 04:33 AM
why.. it BB.. can i atleast replace the seals?

CSHO1.8t
12-17-2006, 09:01 AM
If you want to learn about turbos in general or your specific turbo, you can go to this site and download the first link on the page (highlighted in red that says: download entire catalog.). I've read read the introduction and read about the turbos that most people use with their 1.8s. Hope that helps a little.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/products/catalog.html