PDA

View Full Version : Building 2.0 B5 A4

prodrive
12-16-2006, 02:03 PM
Hi Folks,
I will start my 1.8 to 2.0 build project soon.

I want to:

1. Bore out to 83mm
2. Put a TDi crank 95.5 into my AEB
3. Forged rods length around 139.5mm
4. Forged pistons from wiseco or JE

but ;

I need some information from you guys

1.What's the best CR for BT setups (350 -400 hp)
2.What's the BE Bore size of our standart rods?
3.Wiseco has the pistons for VW which VW pistons should I use for the god CR.
4.I will use 034 standalone ,what's the differance between Ic and IIc ?

Thanx guys.

sean1.8t
12-16-2006, 04:25 PM
we have already gone over this in at least two threads that i can recall..

search: 20/20, and 2.0 engine build... most info will be there to help you out. and good luck

Wizard-of-OD
12-16-2006, 06:45 PM
Hi Folks,

I want to:

1. Bore out to 83mm

but ;

Thanx guys.

You need alot more than "some" information.If you can find a company to make you custom rods then you are indeed a very special individual.

I hope your not the one building this engine...and I will give me reason after your reply.

prodrive
12-18-2006, 01:51 AM
thanx.Sean I read the tread but I didn't understand anything :) there are some good information but no details !.I like the wizards post about 2.0 build engine;

from wizards post,

ATW is external or internal water pump block?Ok. I assume AEB and ATW engine is same.No Problem.
Dont...bore out to 83.5mm.Keep it @ 83mm . Ok 83 mm.No problem.

Well I am going to assume its external water pump block:
* SCAT Forged Rods - $315US What's the lenth ? Standard 144 mm ?
* JE/Weisco Pistons 83mm - $550US Standart CR or ?.Can you give me CR.
* ABA Forged Crankshaft - $75US (most I would pay anyway) 92.5 ?
* ARP main studs .Ok No problem
* Raceware head studs (11mm).Ok No problem

Plz. give me your set-up details whom build 2.0 engine (with part number and company ).I would appreciate if you can send PM.

Wiazrd I didn't read that tread before, I have a old friend whom builds engines for rallycars and I always visit him on saturdays.We made a calculation with him for the 2.0 build engine ,he advised me to do so ...:) (by the way he is not experianced with audi much but he is the expert of ford cosworth engine).In addition ,he also advised to drop the standard CR (9.5:1)to around 8.5:1 for BT application so we think that we can adjust the CR from the piston length and piston CR.

But honestly, I am totaly confused now:)

prodrive
12-19-2006, 04:12 AM
Hey guys, I still need your help :)

salz2135
12-19-2006, 08:28 AM
ATW block uses an external water pump. It is internal on AWM engines.

CO AVANT
12-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Do you just plan on boring out to 83mm? I'd stroke it out as well if I were you. I'm building mine up right now with a eurospec 2.0 stroker kit. This includes a different crank. If you plan on doing a 2.0 crank the rod length will be different.

9:0:1 cr would be good. 8:5:1 is good too. 8:5:1 will lower your engines power output, but you make it up by adding more boost and more timing. You can do this safer than with running a higher compression ratio. 9:0:1 will not have as much lag. I'm personally doing 9:0:1 since my current turbo will not spool efficiently after 22psi. If I lowered to 8:5:1 I would lose power since my turbo would be my limiting factor since it won't push 25-30 psi like I want. You can go to ~10:0:1 but if you go that high you better be certain that your software is top notch 110% spot on.

salz2135
12-19-2006, 11:35 AM
COAVANT, what will your final displacement be? Are you going to stroke and bore?

prodrive
12-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Do you just plan on boring out to 83mm? I'd stroke it out as well if I were you. I'm building mine up right now with a eurospec 2.0 stroker kit. This includes a different crank. If you plan on doing a 2.0 crank the rod length will be different.

9:0:1 cr would be good. 8:5:1 is good too. 8:5:1 will lower your engines power output, but you make it up by adding more boost and more timing. You can do this safer than with running a higher compression ratio. 9:0:1 will not have as much lag. I'm personally doing 9:0:1 since my current turbo will not spool efficiently after 22psi. If I lowered to 8:5:1 I would lose power since my turbo would be my limiting factor since it won't push 25-30 psi like I want. You can go to ~10:0:1 but if you go that high you better be certain that your software is top notch 110% spot on.

Thanx.man.I found my answers from eurpspec's website in the pistons section.They give all bore, stroke and CR combinations.

CO AVANT
12-19-2006, 03:40 PM
I am a B6, not like it really matters......I'll be boring and stroking. I won't be a full 2.0 though. More like 1984cc or so with the pistons I'll be using...

killa
01-09-2007, 07:52 AM
1.8 and 2LIters both use the same 144mm cranks with 48mm rod journals and 20mm wrist pins. it's just the crank that's different and the bigger bore.
hth
P

onemoremile
01-09-2007, 08:03 AM
1.8 and 2LIters both use the same 144mm cranks with 48mm rod journals and 20mm wrist pins. it's just the crank that's different and the bigger bore.
hth
P

Got a typo in there. Shouldn't that be "both use the same 144mm connecting rods with 48mm rod journals and 20mm wrist pins."?

stratos
03-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Hallo there

I am planning to do the same that you did,build my 1,8 (A6 1.8T 99)AJL engine to 2,0 and I would like to have your help.I mean finally what rods and pistons did you used.I am going to use exactly the same as yours crankshaft but I don't know if I supposed to reduce the length of the rods or/and the piston height.Also about the ARP head studs,the wiseco pistons and the rods do you have any idea where to buy them?Thank you in advance.

Regards Stratos

Hi Folks,

I want to:

1. Bore out to 83mm

but ;

Thanx guys.

mike-2ptzero
03-20-2007, 10:53 AM
Hallo there

I am planning to do the same that you did,build my 1,8 (A6 1.8T 99)AJL engine to 2,0 and I would like to have your help.I mean finally what rods and pistons did you used.I am going to use exactly the same as yours crankshaft but I don't know if I supposed to reduce the length of the rods or/and the piston height.Also about the ARP head studs,the wiseco pistons and the rods do you have any idea where to buy them?Thank you in advance.

Regards Stratos

YOu dont want to use the TDI crank in the short deck 1.8 block because the rod/crack location puts it too close to the block walls. It also will have a higher rod/crank angle at that point which puts more stress on the rods during the power stroke. The ABA is the longest stroke you want to put into that block, now doing it into a tall deck like the ABA is a different story.

When I had my 1.8t bored and stroked to 2033cc I went with the ABA crank, Pauter rods and JE 83.5mm pistons. ARP does not make head studs for the 1.8t enigne.