PDA

View Full Version : my car wont start, i have a new battery but the shop where i was at drained it

derek2079
12-16-2006, 09:56 AM
wtf do i do now, i drove it around for about 15 mins and it started stalling and not starting when i had to stop, what could this be?

quickglx
12-16-2006, 10:53 AM
Uh, how bout the alternator.... Did you happen to see what the voltmeter on the dash was reading?

derek2079
12-16-2006, 12:39 PM
it was reading at about 8 when trying to start

derek2079
12-16-2006, 01:06 PM
seems to start fine now

derek2079
12-16-2006, 01:32 PM
yeah it looks like when i try to start it now its down aroound 8 volts

Ertman
12-16-2006, 08:11 PM
Pull it off and take it into Autozone and have them test it.

benzteck
12-17-2006, 02:35 AM
What did the shop do to your car?

onemoremile
12-17-2006, 12:12 PM
If it drives fine once started but won't start again once it is shut off then it is a bad battery. The alternator is keeping the car running but the battery isn't storing any electrical energy for later. A battery can just die whenever it feels like it. Usually it breaks down inside and shorts itself out.

This happened to me a couple months ago. I carried a jump box in the back of the car and charged it off the cargo area cig plug when driving. I drove the car 3 hours straight with lights and heated seats on (volt gauge was just over 14v) and when I shut it off the battery was dead. Note that 10.5 volts is technically dead flat for a 12 volt car battery. I had swapped my giant old A8 battery for an Optima 34R and found it to also have the same problems. I had everything checked out and it ended up just being a bad Optima battery. I had it replaced and all is well again. They said the bad new battery had a bad cell and was probably a result of Optima having to work beyond their production capacity to supply the defense contractors and general public. Either way, it was a fluke and my current 34R is rockin like Don Dokken yo.

If you had a bad alternator the lights would dim and the car would go into an electrical shutdown while driving. I had this on my 94 Jetta VR6. I fully charged the battery and the car would die after a minute or two of driving. It turns out that this alternator was actually sucking the battery dry. The tech said that without an alternator at all (old skool racer style) the car should have run at least two minutes with the lights on and everything. The battery survived and all was well after replacing the alternator.