PDA

View Full Version : Remote not working

trbo4
12-15-2006, 05:08 AM
I just purchased this car and realized one of the remotes is not working. I know it is programmed because the key starts the car fine but it will not lock/unlock it. I replaced the batteries with no luck. I even swapped the batteries from the working remote and still nothing. Any ideas? I know I can stick the key in the lock and turn to lock/unlock but it would be nice to have a working remote.

Thanks.

1 ate T
12-15-2006, 05:11 AM
Take it to an Audi or VW dealer and have the re program it.

trbo4
12-15-2006, 05:16 AM
Can I do this via a vag com or not?

1 ate T
12-15-2006, 05:19 AM
Not sure, I doubt it though.

buck
12-15-2006, 06:52 AM
You can program your keys without VAG-Com...

buck
12-15-2006, 07:07 AM
... but I can't find my write up....

burner799
12-15-2006, 08:41 AM
FYI our keys dont need to be taken to the dealer to get programmed. There is a write up on AW that i used and it worked on my 99.5 (saves you an assload of money)

trbo4
12-15-2006, 10:43 AM
I will search but if anybody has the link handy please reply.

onemoremile
12-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Reprogramming Audi Switchblade Keys Craig Liess 2000

The previous FAQ entry on this item had some mistakes (and it confused the hell out of me) so I decided to make it a bit more user-friendly and add a few tips and pointers.

I'd imagine these directions will work on any A4/S4 with the "switchblade" keys. If you own a TT, A6, or A8 with these keys, try and see if the directions below work, and e-mail me your results.

These directions will allow you to reprogram your remote-control "switchblade" keys to full functionality. The '00 S4 manual claims that if you press the buttons too many times outside the range of the car, the key will deprogram itself. I don't know the reasoning behind this.

You will need BOTH of your "switchblade" keys to reprogram one or both of them.

1. Take the key you DO NOT want to program and put it in the ignition. Turn it one click forward.
2. Close and lock the drivers door with the second key.
3. On the second key (the one in the drivers door) press the 'UNLOCK' button ONCE only. The lights will flash on the car, but the doors will remain locked
4. With the second key still in the drivers door, unlock then lock the door again.
5. Pull the key from the slot and test remote functions.
6. Open drivers door, remove key from ignition.

If both of your remotes don't work, do the above for the first key, but on step #3, press the 'UNLOCK' button twice. The lights will flash twice, then continue on with step #4.

trbo4
12-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Thank you. I just found it myself. I will try this tonight. [az]

1 ate T
12-15-2006, 11:05 AM
Anyone know how much Audi charges to cut a key?

onemoremile
12-15-2006, 11:29 AM
30-40 bucks if you get the blank on ebay and they can cut it on site. If they have to order the key it can be just over 100.

SoFresh
12-15-2006, 11:41 AM
Sweet!!! I need to reprogram my keys too! Havent been programed since Ive owned the car.... over a year, lol.

1 ate T
12-15-2006, 11:45 AM
Naa I have one that came with it, but it's not cut and doesn't have batteries. It looks so much nicer than the one I have now tho.

thanks

buck
12-15-2006, 12:29 PM
You will need BOTH of your "switchblade" keys to reprogram one or both of them.

1. Take the key you DO NOT want to program and put it in the ignition. Turn it one click forward aka on position - but not start.
2. Close and lock the drivers door with the second key by turning the key - do not press the button.
3. On the second key (the one in the drivers door) press the 'UNLOCK' button ONCE only to set this key for memory slot/bank #1. The lights will flash on the car once, but the doors will remain locked
4. With the second key still in the drivers door, unlock then lock the door again by turning the key - not by pushing the buttons.
5. Pull the key from the slot and test remote functions.
6. Open drivers door, remove key from ignition.
7. If only the one key that was in the door works -> Switch keys around, repeat - but this time on step #3, press unlock button twice for memory bank #2

If both of your remotes don't work, do the above for the first key, but on step #3, press the 'UNLOCK' button twice. The lights will flash twice, then continue on with step #4.

Just wanted to add some info...

And - you can use VAG-Com to check how many memory banks there are and which ones are being used. I think there's 4 of them total.

onemoremile
12-15-2006, 09:31 PM
There is also a way to clear out the memory banks. I picked up an extra pair of eBay key fobs and a couple blanks. My parts guy Stan cut the blanks, I assembled them and put new batteries in all 3.Now I had 3 key fobs that didn't work. I just cleared the memory and started over. All 3 keys and fobs work just fine. I take the nastiest looking fob when going on a bike ride or to the gym and take the nice one when wearing a suit at work. That arrangement came in nice when the beater key fell out of my pack into a mud pedal and I didn't notice it until I stepped on it with my cleat.

AudiSport12
12-15-2006, 09:40 PM
i know this has been metioned before, but while we are on the topic, im going to ask anyways because im confused about it. ive read it is possible to make a 3 button switchblade key fob work on a 97 like mine (seperate remote/key) but you have to have the same FCCID. i looked on ebay to try to find a key fob but couldnt find one with the same FCCID. will it still work if i buy one with a different FCCID? and will the unlock and lock buttons work?

onemoremile
12-15-2006, 10:52 PM
The 3 button fobs are for Avants. Sedans don't have a remote trunk release and have 2 button remotes. Avants are the kewlest.

burner799
12-16-2006, 12:15 AM
DUDE. 30 to 40 bucks is way too much. I got two clean keyblades for 17 dollars shipped on ebay. I paid 8 dollars for VW to cut one for me.

SoFresh
12-16-2006, 01:02 AM
I just reprogramed my remotes today after reading this, one reprogramed and one didnt, oh well, at least I have one working for me now. Thanks guys! Also, when I lock and unlock my doors from the remote, there is no beep or noise, is there anyway to add that or change it so its not silent? I want to hear the beep noise. Thanks in advance guys!

sean1.8t
12-16-2006, 01:07 AM
i know you can take that feature out with vagcom.. maybe your coding is off.

note the standard coding for you year and check it to make sure it matches

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/audiB5.html#35

burner799
12-16-2006, 08:18 AM
Theres 2 different ways to reprogram. one programs one key, the other programs both. dont give up just yet lol. oh and yea, vag the beep in