PDA

View Full Version : Need help id'ing a noise, fearing the worst

ScottyB 1.8T
12-14-2006, 06:47 PM
this is as a follow up to this thread: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105429

before i go on this is no fault of the procedure or the people who have to do with it. i screwed up and now i need advice from some people here who are smarter than me [:(]

*backstory*

i had been dealing with bad lifter noise for a long time now with my 1.8T. so i found something that i was sure would work for me. as in the above thread, i followed the procedure for flushing your crankcase out with diesel. all was going well.

i drained the diesel and had put junk oil back in to flush out the remaining diesel and prepare for the good oil + auto RX. upon starting my car (it's up on ramps) the engine caught for a sec then came to an abrupt halt. i had a feeling it was flooded, so i took out the plugs, cranked and cleared the fuel, and put everything back to simply try again. i try again and it locks again. at this point i'm worried and i don't know what to think as i've never hydrolocked an engine.

finally i pull the fuel pump fuse, "dry crank" it a few times to clear everything out, and put the fuse back in. she starts up rough, and finally settles into a smooth idle.....except for this unreal noise. i can't describe it, so here's the short video i took:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2905915959367965071

it had idled a minute or so before that so i know oil had time to circulate and the worst of any diesel or fuel had burnt away.

my question is this, guys: i know i'm pretty much f'ed....that's a serious noise. had bad is it, bend rod, maybe valves? i'm flatbedding the car in to a shop for compression testing and who knows from there on out.

i don't know why the car flooded, my only theory is that there was diesel residue in the cylinders that prevented a cylinder or two from lighting off...and i guess it just kept dumping fuel until it stopped. i hope i don't sound too stupid here but i've had the shittiest day in many a day.....not only is it my bday but i was just trying to prep my car for a trip north to see my family for xmas. now i'll be driving my beater and looking forward to a nice bill from the shop.

onemoremile
12-14-2006, 06:50 PM
Your video is a link back to the flush thread.

Happy birthday!

MultiAudis
12-14-2006, 06:55 PM
yeah I was wondering why I couldnt find the clip either

ScottyB 1.8T
12-14-2006, 07:09 PM
sorry guys. my mind is running on fumes here.

original post edited with video link

onemoremile
12-14-2006, 07:17 PM
Although I can't be positive through a web vid and tiny monitor speakers that really sounds like it is coming from the head. Maybe a broken valve spring or a really stuck lifter.

ScottyB 1.8T
12-14-2006, 08:01 PM
thanks for the thoughts. i'll find out in a few days here once the motor is apart.

ScottyB 1.8T
01-30-2007, 01:03 PM
*update*

i took the car to a good local shop and after dropping the pan they found the rod bearings and crank to be in bad shape. Both the shop and I are not sure if this is 100% what the noise was, but it was definitely not in the head...it's (thankfully) clean and looks fine. it seems that somehow, something was blocking oil circulation and it ended up being the crank that was blocked. i still am not sure how this happened, especially considering that my sludge problem was definitely not as bad as some other 1.8T's. the filters were fresh too, and didn't look blocked.

i would have liked to trouble shoot this longer but my only other transportation option is my unreliable beater, and frankly after a month i just can't wait it out. dealing with the time/expense of getting the crank/bearings back in shape, as well as possible damage to the cylinders which i can't see, made me make up my mind to just get a used AEB shortblock. it's on the way from a reputable audi/dub shop and a new oil pump, seals, etc. are going on as well (i'd love to build up the motor at this point, but the cash flow ain't quite there). i've considered the issue of the used block having a sludge problem too but it's going to get looked at before it goes in the car, and if everything looks decent i'll just stick to doing frequent oil changes which should keep it clean.

what does this mean for anyone who wants to do this, since i never got total closure on this? --- basically, i would just use some major discretion. i don't think i'm a good example, as it seems my luck was just really bad or maybe i'm just dumb for going all out from the get-go....but regardless, i'd start off small and work your way up. in other words, if you're sure you want to do this, maybe just do a quart of kero in your oil and see what happens, then move up to putting 1 gallon of diesel in and draining and seeing what happens, etc. it may not be a good idea to rush headlong into this as i did and put a lot of diesel in there. some people have had some good success, so despite being a pretty crazy method of getting rid of sludge, it seems to work out for some people.

i will tell you this --- after driving my '95 4.0L explorer for a month, i have NEVER missed my audi so much in my entire life [:(] . holy crap i need to get that thing back...

sorry for the freaking novel i just wrote, but i'll end this thread at that and hopefully it will help some people who are looking to do this.