PDA

View Full Version : Hydrolik oil leaking

three
12-14-2006, 11:49 AM
yay, I found out the passenger side seal on my rack and pinion is leaking like a mofo....

can I go buy like a rebuild kit from the dealer maybe?

or do I have to pony up for a replacement?

I can just keep it topped off with oil for the time being, maybe buy a can of stop leak stuff to hopefully reinvigorate the seal for a few more miles.

Ideally I would like to replace the seal and not the entire piece.

What special tools or tips might i need to know before starting on the project?

murph013
12-14-2006, 02:16 PM
It's spelled Hydraulic...

Aside from the spelling tip I don't have much to offer except that if you plan to keep topping it off for a a while (which isn't the best approach, but I've done worse in my older cars, I'm sure), IIRC the power steering fluid on our cars is somewhat unique, so make sure you're using the right stuff... that being said I'm sure that putting stop-leak in there is not a good idea either.

bOOOOstedAudi
12-14-2006, 03:07 PM
make sure its not leaking at a hose which is way cheaper. if it is the rack and pinion make sure your putting the right kinda power steering fluid in cause it will fuck it up more of you dont.

mike-2ptzero
12-14-2006, 04:50 PM
Try one of the products that will stop the leak before replacing anything. I had a pretty bad leak on my eclipse, after adding some of the fluid the leak stopped. The fluid just reconditions the seal which is what usually leaks.

bOOOOstedAudi
12-14-2006, 05:26 PM
no that stuff is garbage i wouldnt do it.

three
12-14-2006, 07:58 PM
sorry I was trying to be funny by spelling it in german but i mucked it up

hydraulikol, I cant do the little dots over the O though
my keyboard is so american

anyone know what the weight of audi's special blend might be?

Ive done myself some reading up and it looks like

feels like

I need to replace all the seals in the rack.

Probably replace the tie rods whiles im at it. both inners and audis! get it? lols

I guess Ill see what my college student aka cheap ass budget can allow.

I need to find some reusable outer dust boot clamps or something.

Im thinking of adjusting the pinion lash a little tighter too "for a more positive feels"

Think the audi rack has pinion adjustment or am i going to need to cook up some shims out in my laboratory?

mike-2ptzero
12-15-2006, 10:20 AM
no that stuff is garbage i wouldnt do it.

Have you used them before? Because all they are is a steering fluid with a conditioner mixed in and you only add it to the steering fluid that is already in the car. I didn't think it would work either but fixed the leaks on a car that was 10+ years old with the stock rack still in it.

three
12-16-2006, 09:39 AM
im obviously going to explore the easiest and cheapest solutions first.

if that stop leak stuff doesnt work, im only out what $5

I dont really feel like I need a new rack

this one feels buttery smooth.

if anything I would like to lower the psi of the oil coming off the steering pump.

since i think the steering wheel effort is set up for women on these rides
(no offense ladies) I like to feel -some- resistance