PDA

View Full Version : honestly, how hard is it to install non-bose speakers?

arizona steve
12-14-2006, 11:36 AM
if i already have a aftermarket HU?

i just typed out a whole story about my experience with the local 'audio express' store...needless to say it was horrible. they were trying to keep my car all day and throuhg the night and some more the next day. the guy was telling me he had to "tear apart my whole car and re wire EVERYTHING and audis are a big pain in the ass."

then i pointed out the cars i was parked next to outside sucked dick because they were a mix of american riced out cavaliers and civics. i walked out pist.

thats the basic story anyways, so how hard is it? i could see it taking hours and hours and hours (at least 10 hours is how they were talking...all day today, keeping it over night, and then tomorrow.)

smoothie
12-14-2006, 12:02 PM
well honestly... they are right... you basicly do have to run new wires cuz you have preamps on every speaker and it is a PITA. unless you want to just extend the wires from your preamps but from what i undersatnd there are more than just 2 wires going to the preamps....? not sure correct if I'm not. anyways it would just be easier simpler and cleaner if you took the time to re-wire everything.

arizona steve
12-14-2006, 12:18 PM
so how many hours are we talking typically for a non-bose install?

he was quoting me at rediculous hours for labor and im not about to pay more money on install for regular speakers than i paid for the actual speakers..

juju4uofa
12-14-2006, 12:20 PM
There was a long thread on this about two days ago titled something like "$300 to spend on audio." You should read it.

Before I try to answer your question though. Answer a few of mine.
Did your car come stock with the concert head unit?
Do you have an aftermarket head unit you want to install or is it already installed?
If you had concert and now have aftermarket and are still running stock speakers, how did you make the rear speakers work?

arizona steve
12-14-2006, 12:24 PM
when i got the car it had the pioneer HU already installed. im best friends with the PO and i remember when he got it installed, he just had the standard base stereo stock. so to answer your 2nd question, i already have a pretty good aftermarket HU installed, and all the speakers work with the HU (well, the ones that arnt blown. thats why i want these new ones in. ha)

ill have to find that thread and read it though thanks for the heads up

burner799
12-14-2006, 12:24 PM
come on steve, your pretty crafty lol. you can do this yourself for sure its easy as hell. Just run the wires from your aftermarket hu to the front speakers and rear ones.

smoothie
12-14-2006, 12:31 PM
i dont' know how long it would take to do but it involves removing all of the door cards and some of the dash possibly.... it's just time consuming.

juju4uofa
12-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Well, the hard part's been done. If all four speakers play music then the wiring (the hard part) is complete. You can put new 6.5" coxials in the rear by simply removing the rear deck cover (two little clips hold it on, then it just slides off) then unbolting the old speakers. For the front speakers remove the door panels (remove all screws, 3 or 4 I believe, then lift up and pull out. Also unhook the door handle and wiring). Now, here's the one tricky part. The fronts are 5.25" components, but the woofer has three mounting holes whereas an aftermarket speaker will have 4. You'll have to make a bracket to adapt it. Be sure the bracket allows clearance to put the door trim back on and that the new speaker's magnent allows room to roll down the window.

bassed
12-14-2006, 12:45 PM
If you have an aftermarket HU or run an amp and a Blau adapter not hard at all. Its just time consuming to remove the door cards. The hu's are easy to pull IMO. I pulled my rear deck speakers installed an amp and a JL stealthbox in 2 hours, but I bet it would and will take me 4-5 to install new components in the front doors and run all wiring. Granted I will have it alot easier just running rca's to the amp and then wiring to crossovers and then crossovers to components.

arizona steve
12-14-2006, 12:48 PM
yea thats what i was already thinking. i told him since i have the panel off already you can see the stock speakers, mounts, wiring...everything. and the wiring didnt look standard; and i believe that to be because of the already aftermarket HU running with stock speakers. he refused to even go outside and check out the set up with the door panel off...

so you say the rear ones are a straight fit?
i havent gotten a chance to look, but if they are easy i could just go in and install them straight up?
i tried to throw in the front speakers one day but saw that the stock set up is the 3 triangle patterned screw set up like you said, and the afermarket ones i bought were 4 bolt set up...so adapters are needed there.

as for the tweeters, no idea.

sandnessmj
12-14-2006, 12:52 PM
Still, all that being said, it seems like 10 hours is too long for a professional shop. It might take me 10 hours to do that, considering it would be my first time ripping the car apart, and I don't have a shop complete with tools and a good work area. Seems like 5 hours would be plenty for a pro shop even if they ran into issues...

sandnessmj
12-14-2006, 12:55 PM
i tried to throw in the front speakers one day but saw that the stock set up is the 3 triangle patterned screw set up like you said, and the afermarket ones i bought were 4 bolt set up...so adapters are needed there.

as for the tweeters, no idea.

Should be pretty easy to fab an adapter out of 1/4-1/2" MDF or something. Make a template with cardboard first. If memory serves from what I've read on this forum and others, the tweeters aren't too difficult to mount - depending on the size. 1" or smaller shouldn't be a problem.

arizona steve
12-14-2006, 12:56 PM
it was the whole "over night and into a good part of tomorrow" that really made me not want to trust them with my car.

burner799
12-14-2006, 01:57 PM
i dont know why you guys got into adapters and shit. Your fronts are 4 inch direct swap in, thats how i did it, going 5.25 is just more work. your rears are direct 6.5's and you can use the old speakers to make an adapter, just dremel out the old cone and throw 6.5's in there, no need to spend money on square adapters.

sandnessmj
12-14-2006, 02:01 PM
going 5.25 is just more work.

But worth it. You'll get much more midbass output, and a lot more selection on comps...

burner799
12-14-2006, 02:04 PM
except i like the way our door looks without adapters for bigger speakers. If you can do 5.25 keeping the stock grill, which i dont think you can, then id do it. Crutchfeild has plenty 4 inch speakers. As far as midrange goes, iono, i put a 10'' sub in and its treating me pretty well. Cosmetically, 4's would be cleaner looking i think.

sandnessmj
12-14-2006, 02:09 PM
except i like the way our door looks without adapters for bigger speakers. If you can do 5.25 keeping the stock grill, which i dont think you can, then id do it. Crutchfeild has plenty 4 inch speakers. As far as midrange goes, iono, i put a 10'' sub in and its treating me pretty well. Cosmetically, 4's would be cleaner looking i think.

There's a writeup (AW, I think) that shows how to make adapters, and you can keep the stock grills, so cosmetically it's not an issue.

True, a sub can fill in, but I think overall you can get a better stage with larger midbass that you can cross lower.

burner799
12-14-2006, 02:21 PM
^^if i can do that i will, I get super high frequencies from the 4's. Don't want to hack up my door panel too much though. I don't remember what it looks like in ther anymore, did it so long ago. part of the speaker is probably covered since the grill is only like 4 inches high , if that.

arizona steve
12-14-2006, 03:02 PM
well the speakers i already bought so i dont have an issue on the size to get...

and whoever said you dont need adapters....its a totally different screw pattern. no way to make it work without an adapter, ive looked and tried.

possibly in the rears, because like i said i havent been back there. im just talking about my experience with the front's.

burner799
12-14-2006, 03:13 PM
i put 4 inch speakers in the front without buying adapters. The rears, like i said, you just use the old shady speakers to make adapters. You dremel the cone away and everything falls out and your left with a 6.5" opening up top for your speaker and the square part below and it all fits.

juju4uofa
12-14-2006, 03:30 PM
4" speakers in the front??? It's been a while since I swapped them, but my 5.25s were the same diameter as the stock speakers. I wonder if Audi has had more than one setup on their non-bose systems?

As for cutting the grills out of the door panels, hell no. I'd never do that. If you use MDF it's gonna be too thick though. You can use thin sheet metal however. Or if your brave (or stupid) like I was/am you can drill into the frame of your new speakers and mount to the stock three holes.

The tweeter is VERY easy to replace! Theres a metal clip that just holds it in place. My new tweeters were deeper so I had to bend the metal clip to get it to "reclip" but it worked just fine.

bassed
12-14-2006, 04:17 PM
You can do 5.25" without adapters as well. You can keep the grille and 4" doesn'tcompare as far as output and mid-bass.
http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2639923.phtml