PDA

View Full Version : newbee-what a4 to start off with

bballfanatic
12-13-2006, 10:21 PM
i was and still am a honda-fanatic, then got into subies and now looking to venture into your world!!

i'm a wagon fan and really looking for a 5 spd avant, but came across an awesome deal on a 98 5spd 2.8 a4 sedan with 101k...my other options are 99 auto 1.8t avant 89k/00 5spd 1.8t avant 120k/98 5spd 2.8 avant 101k...

my dilemma is that the avants compared to the sedan are about $2k more, but still within a reasonable $7k price tag...i just sold my preza wagon for $5k and looking to sell my slightly modded civic for $2k, but not sold yet...so my range is within $5k and $7k...

any insight on the 1.8t vs 2.8 motors for the 98's and 99's? sedan vs avant i guess is a personal preference, but what about mileage and reliability/maintenance?

let me know some thoughts...looking to purchase by this weekend...appreciate any feedback and advice!!

JumboBlack1.8
12-13-2006, 10:34 PM
I'd go with a 1.8t avant....The 1.8t motor is kind've a weak stock motor, but the potential for power upgrades is great. There are a lot of amazing power upgrades out there that will really awaken the beastly German machine. I've got an avant, and I love it. Looks great and trunk space is ideal. Just use the search option to find out more about what you can do with a 1.8t......some people might not like answering "newb" questions that have been asked several times before, so just make the best use of the website's features. There is a ton of info on here. Have fun

4ringAR
12-13-2006, 10:49 PM
go with the avant. much more practical and they look great.
be sure to check out www.avantboards.tk -forums dedicated to avants

Kreizy31
12-13-2006, 10:54 PM
make SURE you get a 1.8T, youll love it.

low miles would be good. good luck, keep us posted on your purchase, and welcome to the audi realm! cheeeeeeea

Poopie
12-13-2006, 11:01 PM
avant 1.8t if you wanna be cool.

zionrider
12-14-2006, 02:58 AM
I would agree with the rest and say 1.8T. If your a "wagon" fan then don't settle for something other then that. End of the day you'll be sorry you didn't get what you wanted. Just my 2 cents.

matt719
12-14-2006, 05:32 AM
Get a 1.8T only if you are going to mod. A chipped 1.8T is roughly equivalent to a 2.8 in power, but the 2.8 still feels better. It is smoother in feel, and much more reliable. Plus the 2.8 comes with leather.

I have a 1.8T and love it, but I still think the 2.8 is a great car. A lot of times I love winding through the gears with the 1.8T, but on the highway sometimes I wish I had the lower-reving 2.8. I almost wish I had gotten a 2.8 for the leather seats... if you need more power there is always the supercharger.

And for those who say leatherette is better than leather... I have no idea where you get this. Leather > Pleather.

Bottom line: stock, reliable > 2.8
modded, fast(er) > 1.8T

tanklee
12-14-2006, 05:58 AM
1.8T for modding, 2.8 for reliability.

RudeBwoi
12-14-2006, 06:25 AM
get whatever is 1.8T and 5spd

a4cefed
12-14-2006, 06:33 AM
as others have said 1.8 if your gonna mod it, that is unless you have the money to s/c a 30v 2.8

sean1.8t
12-14-2006, 08:20 AM
I almost wish I had gotten a 2.8 for the leather seats... if you need more power there is always the supercharger.

And for those who say leatherette is better than leather... I have no idea where you get this. Leather > Pleather.

yes, but the $5,000 supercharger makes less torque than a chipped 1.8t..

and leather rips, fades, and wears out 50x's faster than pleather.. plus i think that my pleather is more comfortable than the 2.8's leather..

bottom line, get a 1.8t avant if you are any kind of car enthusiest,

get the 2.8 if you only wish to get from "A" to "B"..

RudeBwoi
12-14-2006, 11:23 AM
and leather rips, fades, and wears out 50x's faster than pleather.. plus i think that my pleather is more comfortable than the 2.8's leather..

your seriously gonna sit her and give reasons why leatherette is better than leather?? Its clearly the inferior material, not to mention that my leatherette/pleather rips just as bad if not worse in that same spot on the left side of the drivers seat as everyone else with a 1.8T with a good amount of mileage. [confused]

O well [drive] on....

sandnessmj
12-14-2006, 11:32 AM
your seriously gonna sit her and give reasons why leatherette is better than leather?? Its clearly the inferior material, not to mention that my leatherette/pleather rips just as bad if not worse in that same spot on the left side of the drivers seat as everyone else with a 1.8T with a good amount of mileage. [confused]

O well [drive] on....

My heated cloth sport seats FTW...[:D]

onemoremile
12-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Real leather like the Silk Nappa leather in the S4 is much better than that vinyl pleatherette. I still prefer my cloth interior to either. It isn't cold in the winter or hot in summer and keeps me from sliding around on the track.

sandnessmj
12-14-2006, 11:49 AM
I still prefer my cloth interior to either. It isn't cold in the winter or hot in summer and keeps me from sliding around on the track.

Amen brother - I swear to god I have the best factory seats available...almost 80k on the car, and they look brand new and are extremely comfortable all year round.

pipe7284
12-14-2006, 11:58 AM
1.8t Ftw!!!!

AElucky83
12-14-2006, 12:10 PM
I'd go with a 1.8t avant....[eek] [eek] [headbang] [headbang] The 1.8t motor is kind've a weak stock motor[headbang] [headbang][eek] [eek] , but the potential for power upgrades is great. There are a lot of amazing power upgrades out there that will really awaken the beastly German machine. I've got an avant, and I love it. Looks great and trunk space is ideal. Just use the search option to find out more about what you can do with a 1.8t......some people might not like answering "newb" questions that have been asked several times before, so just make the best use of the website's features. There is a ton of info on here. Have fun

elabolrate...i hope ur not saying 1.8t's have poor internals...cause il slap u silly...timing belt issues... yes

sandnessmj
12-14-2006, 12:17 PM
elabolrate...i hope ur not saying 1.8t's have poor internals...cause il slap u silly...timing belt issues... yes

I think he's saying that power-wise, from the factory, the 1.8t does't have much to boast about. However, there are many upgrades out there that can make the motor come alive...

maxspeed
12-14-2006, 02:41 PM
grab the 2000! ATW FTMFW!!!

bballfanatic
12-14-2006, 06:25 PM
you guys are hilarious, yet very informative!! appreciate the feedback and wish there was a lot more potential in the 2.8 as there was with the 1.8t...only reason being is that the 2.8 for the value, i think i'm walking away with the better car...the 1.8t manual has 20k more miles and 2 yrs older....the other 1.8t is an auto which just isn't much fun...i was definitely planning on starting off with a chip and suspension...then i'll have to decide what goes first...looks or performance...

if worse comes to worse....i may punk out and end up with the sedan as it is 2k cheaper besides the fact that the other avants may be sold by this weekend anyway...then i'll search in the spring time for another good deal!!

i promise to do my newbie searches, but thought i'd throw this post out there as I was running out of time on making a decision!!

thanks fellas!! i'll keep you guys posted...

gpasare
12-14-2006, 06:56 PM
[:D] leather pleather...........You right leather might be better in one thing, smell better.THAT IS IT..Pleather will outlast leather 3 times fold and without any creases.Evreyone knows leather gets a lot of creases even just after a few weeks from being brand new,and then after a few years,walla leather turns to crap.[up]

Militant-Grunt
12-14-2006, 07:06 PM
My heated cloth sport seats FTW...[:D]

Word up. Love heated cloth, esp in winter.

You may be a little overwhelmed by reliabilty (rather the lack of it) if you do get a 1.8T.. especially coming from a honda. But you get to the point where you love the car so much that you don't really care anymore.

sandnessmj
12-14-2006, 07:40 PM
But you get to the point where you love the car so much that you don't really care anymore.

Except for that sick feeling you get in your stomach when things aren't going well...[:D]

bOOOOstedAudi
12-14-2006, 07:49 PM
the 1.8t is one of the most tunable engines ever made. the power increase/money/satifaction is second to none to me. with just a chip you get 50 extra hp for about $500 and with about 3 to 4000 that will put you in the 350 to 400hp area. i do not know a car that can over double its stock hp with 3gs

sandnessmj
12-14-2006, 08:03 PM
do not know a car that can over double its stock hp with 3gs

And do it with stock internals...

JumboBlack1.8
12-14-2006, 08:10 PM
Can you tell that we all LOVE our cars???

bOOOOstedAudi
12-14-2006, 08:15 PM
And do it with stock internals...

oh shit dont get into internal. your look at 500wheel

yemntftb
12-14-2006, 08:26 PM
I'd say go with the avant....If you are used to the space you get with wagons, why move to a sedan? Plus, the wagon 5sp is really fun, especially with a chip and a nice sport package.

As for the leather, i dunno I probably have pleather but theres no wear after 92K miles and well...

its sucks but the tires grip so well I have to hold the middle arm rest just to not slide into the door when I'm taking turns fast

bballfanatic
12-14-2006, 11:57 PM
so is there no aftermarket love for the 2.8? do you think the 1.8t at 120k is worth it for around a $6k price tag? any tell-tale signs to look for in it's stock turbo, etc?

maxspeed
12-15-2006, 07:03 AM
depends on the service records, if you end up putting enough money into your 1.8t just to keep it running that your could have supercharged a 2.8, then its not worth it, but if its well maintained then the milage dont mean nothin'

DLN84
12-15-2006, 08:44 AM
from my experience, if you are able to, just wait it out and look for what you want. I think it took me a few months to find a pearl white sedan that was quattro, and 5 spd. the worst thing is to have just bought a car, and wished you bought something else:( just my .02

you guys are hilarious, yet very informative!! appreciate the feedback and wish there was a lot more potential in the 2.8 as there was with the 1.8t...only reason being is that the 2.8 for the value, i think i'm walking away with the better car...the 1.8t manual has 20k more miles and 2 yrs older....the other 1.8t is an auto which just isn't much fun...i was definitely planning on starting off with a chip and suspension...then i'll have to decide what goes first...looks or performance...

if worse comes to worse....i may punk out and end up with the sedan as it is 2k cheaper besides the fact that the other avants may be sold by this weekend anyway...then i'll search in the spring time for another good deal!!

i promise to do my newbie searches, but thought i'd throw this post out there as I was running out of time on making a decision!!

thanks fellas!! i'll keep you guys posted...

Dietbudda
12-15-2006, 08:58 AM
i agree with DLN84. It took me a while but i found my Black on Black 98 (AEB NBDW) 5 spd 1.8TQ but now that i have it, i LOVE it. Had everything i wanted from it, and soon enough, even more then i wanted.

JumboBlack1.8
12-15-2006, 08:59 AM
I agree too. I don't mind my car or anything, but I still regret not waiting for the right S4 to pop up....[=(]

sean1.8t
12-15-2006, 10:58 AM
yes, i searched for about 5 or so months to find my car. it has everything i wanted. but i wish that i would have waited a bit longer and got a B5 S4...

bballfanatic
12-17-2006, 04:57 PM
just an update, if anyone really cares, but i punked out and got the 2.8 a4 sedan...it was a good deal and figured i can search again in the spring time for my 1.8t avant and be more patient with my search...actually, i like the torque in the 2.8 and the feel of the audi...

sooo...being that i can't keep any of my cars stock...any suggestions on slightly modifying my 2.8? naturally aspirated chips...worth it? intake...worth it? any budgeted performance mods you can recommend...i'll be doing my searches as well after christmas, but thought i'd get a jump start from any members willing to waste some time on this post!

definitely looking to lower and even my stance...suggestions? upgrade it's shoes (possibly rs4 reps 17's) and minor personal touches (eyelids, etc)...

thanks for the input