PDA

View Full Version : Delima: Wheels/tires or Paint the Lowers

ActiveMonkey
12-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Creative Kustoms charges $550 to do thier job which is a bit expensive, but i dunno. Or i could get some new wheels to replace my nice and amazing looking 15 inchers...

What do you guys think would add the most to my vehicle?

Here are a few pictures of the car.
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/ActiveMonkey/Picture1.jpg
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/ActiveMonkey/Picture3.jpg
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/ActiveMonkey/Picture4.jpg
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/ActiveMonkey/Picture2.jpg

98a4
12-12-2006, 04:55 PM
nice and amazing 15"s is that a joke?

550 for lower is also a joke,
your a funny guy

TQMB5
12-12-2006, 05:21 PM
do painted lowers yourself, then buy suspension

E Fresh
12-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Search for the DIY lowers, or look around for a cheaper price.

smoothie
12-12-2006, 05:31 PM
def wheels. painting lowers isn't too hard of a task.... even though i havn't done it myself but have read some write ups. just get the right pain, lots of prep work, and you should be fine.

ActiveMonkey
12-12-2006, 05:31 PM
the 15's thing was a joke
the $550 is what they quoted me.

If i had an easy color i would. But its a pearl white and pearl is amazingly difficult which make this something i can't do. I would much rather have it done professionally and have a warranty then try it myself and have it not look perfect.

btw, this would be my christmas gift via the parents.

Ado
12-12-2006, 05:37 PM
shit $550. yea just get some wheels and suspension.

98a4
12-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Paint warranty... thats just a scam. For 550 you can buy sideskirts and a rear, save for a front dont waste the money on painted sides. 550$ will barely get you a halfass set of wheels and tires... I say save more.

Rons01B5
12-12-2006, 06:01 PM
get a used suspension

ExpLlclT
12-12-2006, 06:11 PM
suspention before wheels like some biulstien spring shock to keep down on price, if not wheels but 18's on a non lowered car looks like a 4x4 i did my suspention first

ActiveMonkey
12-12-2006, 07:34 PM
say save more.

It's my present. Not my money. Saving more is not an option.

My girlfriend is already getting me H&R Lowering prings to go on my S4 shocks.

So suspension is out of the way, i have found some rims i like for the price.

here's the question. Rims, or lowers? Lets forget about the price.

Which would make the car look better? however from the looks of the poll i should get wheels so we'll see.

white fish
12-12-2006, 08:05 PM
get suspention then get wheels (because if you get wheels before you drop your car looks silly)

and get that tiny guy off your rear window [:p]

matt719
12-12-2006, 08:30 PM
Neither, because both 18" wheels and painted lowers will look goofy as hell when you're sitting like a monster truck.

Suspension is by far the best mod you can do for these cars. I did it primarily for looks, but after driving it for 100 feet with the new shocks/springs I knew there was so much more to it.

In your case I would do drop>rims>paint lowers. I'd actually do that in any case, but also keep in mind the white/black contrast on your car is actually kind of cool. Personally I'd take painted lowers over non-painted any day of the week but it doesn't look bad with them unpainted.

gotdubd
12-12-2006, 08:38 PM
do painted lowers yourself, then buy suspension

agreed.

sorry. read your last post.
wheels. do lowers yourself. there is a DIY write up isnt there guys?

Kreizy31
12-12-2006, 08:53 PM
do suspension before any of those things. best bang for the buck, will drop it and youll be ready for wheels later on. DONT do wheels before suspension. youll look ridiculously...ridiculous. lol, no really. do suspension.

everyone is telling you to do lowers, but its pearl white, thats scary. search around to see what other pearl white owners have done about lowers

ActiveMonkey
12-12-2006, 09:27 PM
AS i have already said. My suspension is ALREADY TAKEN CARE OF.

I don't know any other Pearl White owners who have thier lowers painted, though my guess is that they didn't pay $550

ExpLlclT
12-12-2006, 09:47 PM
man your gf is cool i hope i see the RIMS soon, trust me you can handle not having the lowers painted for awhile can you post some pcis of the rims your getting

Kreizy31
12-12-2006, 10:28 PM
check out audi envy's car on "s4 to rs4 grill conversion" thread, hes pearl white with painted lowers.

tanklee
12-12-2006, 11:25 PM
no point in getting wheels when its not lowered...so if its between painting lowers or wheels/tires, i guess its painted lowers!

burner799
12-13-2006, 12:34 AM
Active Monkey is the guy who spent 500 dollars on a custom exhaust without tips and some shady muffler soooo spending 550 on painted lowers seems very possible coming from him. If you have such a "difficult" pearl color why would you spend over 500 bucks to get stock lowers painted, get a body kit and save up for that to be painted and installed. As far as your s4 shocks go.........your on az partly for, i assume, the info you can find. Instead of searching before you bought and spent time to install them, you post afterwards asking why your car is higher than it was before, come on. seriously? I dont really care how you spend your money but i just thought since you are on az you would try and do things the right way, ya know.

ActiveMonkey
12-13-2006, 01:25 AM
no point in getting wheels when its not lowered...
It will be lowered by the time i get the wheels.

without tips and some shady muffler

Ok ok... i know magnaflow if a dirt cheap ebay brand like XS Turbo and stuff but it was what i wanted.

^If you didn't pick up on it, i was being sarcastic.

as for the other things...

Exhaust:
The Exhaust shop does really good work and gave a lifetime warranty. To me it is worth the extra money to get something of quality from people i trust. Silly me for wanting something other than a borla or a neuspeed. I didn't get tips because i didn't see any i liked at the time and wanted to wait until i found the right ones.

Suspension:
Yes, my bad. It didn't lower the car. Oh well, but it did make it handle better which is the whole reason i was upgrading. It was $80. Not a big loss. For the price i am very happy.

Painting lowers:
I spoke with 1(one) paint shop. the price of $550 is not an average of several, but what a single shop quoted me.

I like the sides the way they are for now. Maybe S4 sides later or, but for now i would just like them painted.

If anyone knows a reputable shop that's local to me and can paint my lowers for less please let me know.

burner799
12-13-2006, 01:31 AM
^^^magnaflow isnt bad, paying that much for it is. If my friend with an 05 M3 CC has every bolt on made for that car has magnaflow, i think its fine on our cars.

ActiveMonkey
12-13-2006, 01:34 AM
How much would you have paid for a testpipe back 2.5" mendral exhaust? $3.99?

I could have knocked off maybe $75 if i bought the muffler myself, but i didn't want to deal with it and didn't want to wait. I wanted it done that day.

burner799
12-13-2006, 01:35 AM
got quoted 350 including polished mangnaflow muffler with 3.5" polished tips from a reputable shop that has done many of my friends exausts.

ActiveMonkey
12-13-2006, 01:37 AM
Then good game. I did this, got it done, and it sounds awesome. In my area there are few shops that will do custom exhausts and ever less will do mendral mends.

1 ate T
12-13-2006, 05:27 AM
get those springs on it, and buy some wheels. better yet get some ecodes..

a4cefed
12-13-2006, 06:31 AM
lower and wheels, i had the same wheels and that was the first thing i did to my car.

loustylez
12-13-2006, 07:52 AM
get $1000 and then ask what you should do.

yur not gonna get wheels and tires for $500 unless you get in on some good deals or get cheapos. the wheels are gonna look like shit anyway if yur "lowering springs" don't end up looking right.

i wouldn't pay anybody to paint the lowers. i did mine myself but i have silver. if i had white or some other color that's supposadly harder to DIY paint, then i wouldn't have done it and just lived with the black until i could afford an S4 bumper, skirts and something on the rear.

for $500, the most bang for your buck is going to be to save a little more and go with a nice spring/shock combo. save a few hundred more and you can go with a nice set of coilovers. but if you've saved that much, you could get some nicer wheels.... but those will look like shit if you don't have the proper suspension setup. see where this is going? i just put Bilstein PSS9's on my car and now i see why everyone says it's the first thing you should do. like someone said, i drove 100 feet and got on the highway and was immediately glad i did it.

for $500 i'd get a valentine 1 and a phat saq and go see if i can run from cops, and come back to the sandbox when you're serious about spending some more money.

ActiveMonkey
12-13-2006, 08:56 AM
i give up. Some/most of your guys input has been very helpfull, but those who just say "Save more".... i give up. They must not have read that i'm not the one buying it and saving up is not an option. This will be the Christmas Present my parents give me. They asked me what i wanted.

They must not have read any of the thread but whatever. I'm getting some wheels/tires, and if the deal goes flat then i will just get some wheels and pay for the tires myself. Kinda like the new RS4 reps.

For those who read the thread and contributed your thoughts i thank you.

Sand box my left testicle... I r tAkE shOrT bus tO SkoOl

TQMB5
12-13-2006, 09:06 AM
give the dude a break, not all of us live in places where there are alot of shops that are competing for business that will quote you an honest price, hell were i live its all dam riches that pay whatever you ask so i have yet to find an honest shop to take my car to that wont qoute me 3x what you guys pay.

loustylez
12-13-2006, 09:16 AM
correct me if i'm wrong, but that's the first time you mentioned that you'd be spending some of your own money. that would probably change a lot of people's suggestion considering you specifically said saving is not an options. saving = saving your own money = eventually spending your own money.

It's my present. Not my money. Saving more is not an option.

i don't know about everyone else but i was under the impression that $550 was all you had to work with. i wonder why everyone told you to just save more under those circumstances...

500 might get you a decent set of wheels, better than the stocks of course. i'd do that before blowing all that on painting your lowers. i think some black wheels would look real good on your car w/ the black lowers, kinda like the dude who's got the lazer red lowered w/ black wheels and unpainted black lowers.

lose the attitude and good luck with your purchase. now gtf out of my sandbox.

1 ate T
12-13-2006, 09:18 AM
^ Ah don't listen to that shit. Not all of us have the means to save for that kind of expense. I would get the cash from them as your present, save it until you lower the car. Then you can decide what will look good. 19" RS4's won't look good on your car unless it was slammed... That's my opinon tho.

ActiveMonkey
12-13-2006, 09:19 AM
i live its all dam riches that pay whatever you ask so i have yet to find an honest shop to take my car to that wont qoute me 3x what you guys pay.
Seriously, i have to drive out to livermore because i wouldn't trust Concord Audi with a piece of used gum let alone my car.

They tried to charge me something like $2400 because they said my Power Steering Pump blew and sent shavings into the system. I Said no, and sent home. I knew i blew the pump, but the shaving part was BS. I replaced the pump and flushed the system and make all the fluid go through a cofee filter. I was SHOcked to see some many metal flakes in there. any my so many i mean ZERO! It was PERFECTLY CLEAN! Ass hats. Thanks to Vitaly and a $20 PS Pump i saved ~$2380.

^ Ah don't listen to that shit. Not all of us have the means to save for that kind of expense. I would get the cash from them as your present, save it until you lower the car. Then you can decide what will look good. 19" RS4's won't look good on your car unless it was slammed... That's my opinon tho.
I wish they would give me the cash. What is it with old people. Is there just a certan age where they start writting checks. Damn! Atleast they are not my great grandmother who gave me $5 last christmas and then told me not to spend it all in one place. I know $5 was a lot of money back in 1906, but now it can't even get you a coffee. Ohh well. She's the most racist 101 year old ever. lol.

buck
12-13-2006, 09:36 AM
^^^magnaflow isnt bad, paying that much for it is. If my friend with an 05 M3 CC has every bolt on made for that car has magnaflow, i think its fine on our cars.

What - so if it's good enough for a Bimmer, it's good enough for an Audi?

just kiddin'

I'd suggest that for aesthetics (based on your car that is going to be lowered) - I'd prefer rims over painting the lowers. More gain in overall appearance from rims as they stand out more.

After - DIY lowers.

ActiveMonkey
12-13-2006, 09:39 AM
I'm starting to think so aswell.

This is what the car looked like with mo's 17"
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/ActiveMonkey/LeftB.jpg

nizmosx
12-13-2006, 09:41 AM
i would paint the lowers and source some 16 inch swing wheels. paint them black and enjoy.

1 ate T
12-13-2006, 10:48 AM
^ good idea

BeeFiveQuattro
12-13-2006, 11:51 AM
For $550: Bilstien shocks with adjustable perches (to go with your spings).
-later pick up a set of curbed oem type-RS4's (and powder coat black) / or some other cheap, light rims
-buy S4 sides (painted textured black.. trim the door moulding, and be done..... so you can be ready for the big stuff)

~$3k in major maintenence (upgrade brakes & clutch)/ ~$400 sway bars / high flow cat / cat back / upgrade intercooler / maintenence / piece together turbo kit & sw/ maintenence

..But definatly start with some decent shocks with adjustable perches (.. could be wrong; but it doesn't even look like you have sport shocks)

ActiveMonkey
12-13-2006, 11:53 AM
no sport... i went to an S4 suspension.

BeeFiveQuattro
12-13-2006, 12:20 PM
no sport... i went to an S4 suspension.

ahh; so its the 2.7 springs that make it look oem.
-I'd still consider getting adjustable bilsteins (for the long term, and to get the extra drop out of the springs) / then sell the complete S4 suspension.

guess it would be the rims though (painting the lowers for $550 is a waste IMHO)