PDA

View Full Version : Radio Swap pic*

cruzin210
12-12-2006, 08:11 AM
Can a swap of this radio be done with a symphony II with bose? Plug and play?

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/3179/picture619tw8.jpg

PROXUS
12-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Yes but depends on type of connectors behind. New radios have ISO2 connector (same as RNS-E)

AudiA4b6US
12-16-2006, 08:48 AM
The new connector is called Quadlock, not ISO2.

cruzin210
12-16-2006, 08:51 AM
So would this not work? I have bose and want to just swap the radio in. Would i need a diff harness? What about my dice?

teddybgame
12-16-2006, 10:10 PM
This is very doable. I think it is weird that your audi headunit is stamped Concert and it is a double din. Are you based in the US or Europe or Mexico?

Just curious, why would you want to go to the Symphony II head unit? Is it the tape deck, the smaller display, do you want a US version to match up with the present location of this car?

Here's some thoughts:

1) you'd need a male quadlock style connector to female iso.
2) you could go straight to the RNSE and the quadlock connector would be the same, however, there would be a few new pin locations (nothing really that major; small pins in the quadlock are easy to move with a small jewelers screwdriver -- a special pin removal tool would be recommended to relocate/move the larger pins).
3) Euro-parts.us sells all these connectors/pins/parts to do this conversion. A special pin crimper tool is recommended to do this.
4) Dice or Icelink is very doable. Do you want it to work in conjunction with the xm/sirius tuner?

I can build something that is plug/play if you'd like. some samples of what I've build for others:
http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1880

-Ted

cruzin210
12-17-2006, 10:18 AM
I think there may be a bit of confusion as to what I want to do.

I HAVE the Symphony II in my B6 A4. I wanted to know if a switch from that to the new radio is possible. Quite honestly from the sounds of it, it may not be worth my while to have the same functionality just something better to look at. There is one on Ebay right now and I was wondering if it was a plug and play deal that I could do myself and could accomplish for a reasonable price. Oh well, thanks for the help.

By the way I borrowed the pic from a euro member on the B7 boards, the US versionn simply says Symphony at the top.

AudiA4b6US
12-17-2006, 10:29 AM
Chorus, Concert and Symphony are three different head units, generation II+ (which is what we are talking about here) are all double DIN high. The Chorus (single CD player without MP3) and Concert (single CD player with MP3) may not be offered in the US at this time though. The Symphony has a 6 CD changer with MP3 support, the US version also supports SAT radio control.

As mentioned earlier, the II+ generation of head units is using the same connector as the RNS-E. However, the pin out is different, therefore an RNS-E adapter will not work right away (but the changes are minimal).

That being said, to upgrade you will need the new head unit, a ISO/mini-ISO to Quadlock adapter for power and the other signals and an antenna adapter. For those who have already SAT, it is likely that the old SAT receiver won't work anymore and most likely you will need one of the RNS-E compatible SAT receivers.

cruzin210
12-17-2006, 11:26 AM
I will not be using the SAT radio function as my car was not pre wired for such functionality and frankly I am not interested. Last question..are radios BOSE or non-BOSE specific? I have BOSE in my car and was wondering if the radio will be compatible, or do I have to find a BOSE symphony radio from a B7?

Thanks for all your help guys, I am a friggin noob at this stuff.

AudiA4b6US
12-17-2006, 11:38 AM
Bose and non-Bose head units are the same, it's just a matter of connecting the Bose pin correctly.

cruzin210
12-17-2006, 11:45 AM
right on thanks

teddybgame
12-17-2006, 10:40 PM
I think there may be a bit of confusion as to what I want to do.

I HAVE the Symphony II in my B6 A4. I wanted to know if a switch from that to the new radio is possible. Quite honestly from the sounds of it, it may not be worth my while to have the same functionality just something better to look at. There is one on Ebay right now and I was wondering if it was a plug and play deal that I could do myself and could accomplish for a reasonable price. Oh well, thanks for the help.

By the way I borrowed the pic from a euro member on the B7 boards, the US versionn simply says Symphony at the top.

Ok, makes sense. Thanks for the clarity.

Yes, upgrading to the Sym II+ from Sym II is doable -- in theory. I have yet to see someone do it....so you might be the first.

You can buy a RNSE harness from www.euro-parts.us and modify it a bit to work with the Sym II+ (or I could do this).

You could also integrate an ipod interface (DICE or IceLink/Plus) very easily and the OEM Sirius/XM tuner (even though your car was never prewired for it). It's not too hard really. Again, something that I could do.

Talk to you soon.

cruzin210
12-18-2006, 06:17 AM
If and when I get my grubby little hands on one I will definitely be hitting you up