PDA

View Full Version : Sheared the top half of the bleeder valve from the caliper

b5v6
12-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Since this does not deal with brake upgrades, I chose to place this thread in the B5 A4 forum.

Any recommendations on how to remove the rest of the bleeder valve? Just replaced the brake lines, and since vehicle was originally from NC beach, just about everything in corroded. My fear is drilling will result in damage to the caliper.

AudiTLC
12-12-2006, 01:07 AM
ez out or if it's not in deep, cut a groove and use a flathead to unscrew it... that sucks, good luck w/ it.

I just flushed my brake system and the rears (longest lines) had corrosion on the bleeder screws. Threw them all away and replaced w/ speedbleeders. they are the best, makes bleeding a no brainer.

b5v6
12-12-2006, 03:38 AM
thanks, the groove for flathead sounds like it may work. Any links to the speedbleeders? Never seen or heard of them, but like how they sound.

audiluver
12-12-2006, 09:10 AM
good luck, but i bet you'll need a caliper. Although it's not recommended, at work i have to use a little heat to break those loose on occasion.

AudiTLC
12-12-2006, 10:55 AM
maybe heat and try some pb blaster on it and let it soak in overnight or spray a few times for a couple days...

speedbleeder.com
call for audi application- no air in the lines and 1 man job. I love them.

here are the pn's for speedbleeders
sb1010s front, sb1010 rear

b5v6
12-12-2006, 10:44 PM
damn, already ordered the bleeders from worldimpex at around $9 a piece. I'm gonna cancel my order and get the speedbleeders. How long to have them shipped? I'm thinking the stainless steel would be best.

edit: just canceled impex order and ordered $60 worth of stainless steel speedbleeders. Thanks for the help, now hopefully I can salvage the caliper.

Kreizy31
12-12-2006, 11:04 PM
speedbleeders ftw

hey4
12-13-2006, 08:19 AM
if you need a caliper I can sell you mine $40 shipped (front)

AudiTLC
12-13-2006, 10:49 AM
damn, already ordered the bleeders from worldimpex at around $9 a piece. I'm gonna cancel my order and get the speedbleeders. How long to have them shipped? I'm thinking the stainless steel would be best.

edit: just canceled impex order and ordered $60 worth of stainless steel speedbleeders. Thanks for the help, now hopefully I can salvage the caliper.

you will love the speedbleeders. bleeding the brakes is like changing oil now- you can flush the system every year w/ no effort. SS ones are bling[:p] the regular ones are totally fine too tho- that's what I use.

fyi, keep the brake master filled w/ fresh fluid. don't let it empty. I usually just turn a bottle upsidedown in there but the audi has some pre-filter so I had to pour a bit in at a time.

DO NOT let a single drop of brake fluid get on the paint! cover the fenders when you are working on the car! brake fluid is highly, highly corrosive to paint.

after you bleed it out, I spray down all the brakes w/ brake clean to get all the fluid off.

good luck w/ the busted bolt!

b5v6
12-13-2006, 09:06 PM
you will love the speedbleeders. bleeding the brakes is like changing oil now- you can flush the system every year w/ no effort. SS ones are bling[:p] the regular ones are totally fine too tho- that's what I use.
DO NOT let a single drop of brake fluid get on the paint! cover the fenders when you are working on the car! brake fluid is highly, highly corrosive to paint.

I'm looking forward to the speedbleeders. Although, I do have a power bleeder, but I'm thinking a power bleeder and speedbleeders may allow for bleeding of all four brake lines at the same time!?!? Maybe, as long as I keep an eye on the fluid level.

Tell me about the brake fluid and paint. My fluid reservoir was corroded so bad that when I put just under 10psi of pressure to bleed the lines the top cracked and shot brake fluid all over the windshield. That was another $50 to replace the fluid reservoir, plus $20 for two grommets. This car better be perfect when I'm finished.

Thanks for all the help

AudiTLC
12-13-2006, 09:29 PM
the speedbleeders make a powerbleeder unnecssary (and vice-versa). However, you can hook the pwer bleeder onto the speedbleeder and that way you don't have to pump the brake pedal. That will be even less work :) keep your power bleeder on a very low psi if you use it, so you don't blow your resv again! hehe

oh, I read that it's not good to fully depress the brake pedal so i put a scrap piece of wood under the brake pedal while pumping the pedal.

There is an order to bleed the brakes- PR, DR, PF, DF (passenger rear, etc). longest lines first... i guess you can do all 4 but that's alot of psi on your system- if you blew the resv before than it might be risky?

anyway, you probably know most of this stuff
good luck!

b5v6
12-15-2006, 02:02 PM
the speedbleeders make a powerbleeder unnecssary (and vice-versa). However, you can hook the pwer bleeder onto the speedbleeder and that way you don't have to pump the brake pedal. That will be even less work :) keep your power bleeder on a very low psi if you use it, so you don't blow your resv again! hehe

oh, I read that it's not good to fully depress the brake pedal so i put a scrap piece of wood under the brake pedal while pumping the pedal.

There is an order to bleed the brakes- PR, DR, PF, DF (passenger rear, etc). longest lines first... i guess you can do all 4 but that's alot of psi on your system- if you blew the resv before than it might be risky?

The wood trick, my dad would do this, but until you mentioned it, I totally forgot about it.
The reservoir busted cause it was dry rotted? It had cracks throughout like what commonly happens to the coolant reservoir on the turbo B5s. I'm hoping the material of the new ones will eliminate this problem. I'm guessing it is from the heat of the engine, but the area where the brake reservoir and the battery shouldn't experience that much hear, right? Maybe the fact that this vehicle was originally purchased in Minnesota, then purchased by me at the beach of North Carolina has something to do with it. I know the metal parts did not stand up well to all the salt (ocean and winter), so what effect will that play on the plastic parts? I enjoy working on this vehicle, when problems aren't encountered, but the costs quickly rise. The ride and interior quality make it all worth while in my opinion. I find it hard to desire any other make of car other than European.

Enough with the rambling. Thanks for all the assistance and wishful thoughts.