PDA

View Full Version : Gears really hard to shift when cold outside?

lilman05
12-11-2006, 11:39 AM
Quick question. And yes ive searched, but couldn't find much. Anyway when its cold outside, like 15 degrees or something, It is REALLY hard to shift gears on my A4 until the car warms up. Even if I let the car sit for a couple of min. before I drive, it still is hard for the first few min. of driving. Also the steering wheel is the same way. When I got the car a year ago, it didn't used to do that. Do I need to flush the power steering fluid? Anything else?? Thanks

smoothie
12-11-2006, 12:09 PM
sounds like you are low on trans fluid.... fill it and also check for leaks... it has to go somewhere. with that said does you rclutch slip? could be a trans input shaft seal.

burner799
12-11-2006, 12:10 PM
I asked this question a week ago and it was answered so you should have found it searching, it was under cold weather affects on clutch or something of that sort.

anyways, It is normal for cold weather.

e.van
12-11-2006, 12:13 PM
This has been the case for me with every car I've owned. Once the tranny warms up and allows the fluid to work properly it shifts just like it were summer, right? As for the steering, I dunno.

burner799
12-11-2006, 12:18 PM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107902&highlight=clutch+cold

sean1.8t
12-11-2006, 12:20 PM
completely normal for old fluid to have a hard time getting the gears to mesh smoothly when cold..change your tranny fluid and rear diff fluid while your at it and it will shift like you just took it off the lot..

A4Rob
12-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Whenever a thick fluid like oil or tranny fluid is cold, it is more like a gel than a liquid.

Militant-Grunt
12-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Whenever a thick fluid like oil or tranny fluid is cold, it is more like a gel than a liquid.

Yup ^^, I have the same thing happen to me on those cold mornings, once the car warms up a little bit its back to norm.