PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

R-Dub
12-06-2006, 09:21 PM
It used to happen only every once in a while - very few times and during light traffic.

Well today I almost shit myself during rush hour traffic going from 70-20mph in a very short distance - usually not a problem.

Well today my brakes locked up (as in when I press down on the pedal - I get no leverage it just stays there and I do not brake).

I almost got into an accident because of a problem that I thought was an 'every once and a while occurance'.

What would cause this to happen and how do I fix it?

The brake lines, pads, rotors, fluid (to my knowledge) are all stock and I am approaching the 60k mark by next week.

Any input is appreciated!

zrowcool
12-07-2006, 04:44 AM
Check your soft lines behind the wheels for any leaks. Were you hard on the braked before this happened? Do your rotors look glassy? Replace fluid and bleed all 4 wheels.

Could be any of those. Only way to know is to check. Im going with either the glazed rotors or air in the lines.

R-Dub
12-08-2006, 12:48 AM
Rotors look fine - I do suspect the lines though.

When I get my Tbelt done in the next week or so, Im going to have them look at it.

nramsey
12-08-2006, 06:17 AM
Was it raining? Sometimes, and it seems to depend on wheel design, water will get in between the pad and rotor and cause a second or two of NOTHING when hitting the brakes for the first time on the freeway. Usually more aggresive pads will fix the problem, but it can be scary to say the least.

R-Dub
12-08-2006, 09:54 PM
No, its been an ongoing problem for about 5 months but it was a every now and then thing.

Now its doing it more and more often and it worries me a bit.

Im having my Tbelt done in a week or so - Im going to take a nice hard look at the lines and pads (probably going to replace the pads at any rate).

Thanks for the help guys!

AudiRacerS4
12-10-2006, 04:07 PM
definetly get that checked out

audiluver
12-10-2006, 05:04 PM
if the pedal stays high and you have no brakes, sounds like a brake booster going bad. There should be a check valve going to the booster as well, check that to see if it's good and also see if you have good vacuum going to the booster.

R-Dub
12-10-2006, 08:57 PM
Yeah that exactly the problem Im having.

Im getting some quotes this week for Timing Belt (and water pump, thermostat, all belts, fluids and all that good stuff) might as well have them look at the brakes as well considing the fact.

Merry Christmas to me.