PDA

View Full Version : cold start

chuckievi
12-06-2006, 06:21 PM
So.... when my engine is cold and my turbo makes anymore than 7 psi of boost there is a clicking/ticking sound coming from my engine. As the engine/oil warms up the sound goes away. I am going to be putting my car back to stock and selling it to my parents so I can buy an S4. Does this sound like the turbo going out or a lifter issue? I have run seafoam through it a couple times and I only use mobile 1 5-30 synthetic oil in it, changing it every 4k or so miles. If I was trading it in.... well I probably wouldn't care but I don't want to screw my parents over as well.... they are my parents heh.

I welcome any help you guys can give.

GraysonF
12-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by chuckievi
So.... when my engine is cold and my turbo makes anymore than 7 psi of boost there is a clicking/ticking sound coming from my engine. As the engine/oil warms up the sound goes away. I am going to be putting my car back to stock and selling it to my parents so I can buy an S4. Does this sound like the turbo going out or a lifter issue? I have run seafoam through it a couple times and I only use mobile 1 5-30 synthetic oil in it, changing it every 4k or so miles. If I was trading it in.... well I probably wouldn't care but I don't want to screw my parents over as well.... they are my parents heh.

I welcome any help you guys can give.

heres an idea, dont boost when your car is cold

chuckievi
12-06-2006, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by gfanellia4
heres an idea, dont boost when your car is cold

I was tempted to respond with an equally smartass response, but I am going to let it go. Everyone and their mother boosts when the engine is cold. No one knows absolutely every time they have to run and go somewhere and has the time to sit there and wait for the engine to warm up.

anyways.... turbo or lifters? I'd like to know [:D]

sandnessmj
12-06-2006, 07:58 PM
I let my car warm up for a while before I get on it, because I don't like mysterious clicking and ticking noises under the hood.

mike-2ptzero
12-07-2006, 08:36 AM
Well it could also be the small valve that sits right behind the stock air box, it will make a clicking noise while it opens/closes.

chuckievi
12-07-2006, 11:31 AM
Ok cool, I'll check that out when I get hom from work tonight. thanks!