PDA

View Full Version : B5ers winter driving...

yemntftb
12-06-2006, 02:44 PM
Hey so this is my first winter season with my car:
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n129/yemntftb/IMG_0567.jpg

And its finally starting to snow up here so I was drivin around, the car handles a lot differently than my subaru legacy did...

Any do's and donts for winter driving in these cars??

My winter-setup is in the works...but atleast until january I'll be going with the all seasons on the 17in RS4s (ventus hankooks) which have gotten some good reviews for wet/dry weather but pretty middle of the road reviews for winter driving.

In my one experience thus far, the car seemed to slide pretty easily, especially around sharp turns...

Anyway, some input if you guys can...minus tire stuff because I've got that all squared away already on a post I put up a month or two ago.

ridelikeme
12-06-2006, 02:49 PM
pull the E-brake as much as possible [drive]

its just like driving any other vehicle, just pay attention to what you are doing. You will figure out your car, and once you do get that feel for it then you will become more comfortable.. i dont know what anyone can really tell you [a4]

werksmini
12-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Dont underestimate understeer, even with gas modulation and every thing you can easily find yourself in a situation sliding into a pole and being completely unable to do anything about. Thats not from experience though :)

CaSp3r9
12-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Word of advice - Audi's handle amazingly in the snow but don't get overly confident in your ability or your cars' no matter how comfortable you feel driving in the snow. I've seen too many friends wreck their cars in the snow because they think they can do something they can't.

With that said, get out there and have some fun!!!

sandnessmj
12-06-2006, 03:53 PM
And just because you can get going faster than other cars in the snow because of Quattro, doesn't mean you can stop faster than other cars.

loustylez
12-06-2006, 04:16 PM
first thing i realized, coming from a '93 honda accord, is this car is quite a bit heavier. it gets great traction but that just makes going easier. like those have already said, doesn't mean you can stop better. more weight can kill you or help you, just depends on how you use it.

best advice is TAKE, your TIME when the conditions are bad. the only way you'll get in trouble in this car is if you're going too fast for the conditions, period, end of story. you can either make it through the winter in one piece or you can f your car up sliding in to a curb and beat yourself up later for taking that turn just a little too fast.

CSHO1.8t
12-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Like everyone says, don't get overconfident. I did once but got very lucky and nothing happened. I have very nice snow tires but I still even carry chains with me. I would say to drop like $60 on some good chains that would fit your tires, because even if you think you wont need them, you really might. That also depends on annual snowfall in your area. Overall: Quattro, Snow Tires, and chains just to be extra safe....what else could one need?

sean1.8t
12-06-2006, 04:27 PM
best thing i can tell you is,

Quattro doesnt equal better brakes..

bluebahnq
12-06-2006, 05:19 PM
this is going to be my second winter, but some advice for your first:
1. Remember quattro doesnt mean you can act arrogant like you drive a bmw
2. Don't be an arrogant idiot, you don't drive a bmw
3. Hit up open parking lots with little to no obstructions or anything you can hit or run over (drain grates especially)
4. Before you hit up #3, drive around the place slow, so youre sure there isnt any crazy ice or anything.
5. Have fun in said area

These are vital to learning what you and the car can do, both to have fun and to be ready for situations on the road caused by bmw drivers.

A few other tips, the handbrake shouldnt be abused, if there is enough snow you can just turn a bit and mat it, this is not to say that the fun handle cant be used though. Making the transition from dry (or wet melted snow, you know what i mean) to snow... take it easy, especially if you dont know how deep or icy things may be. I took a turn into a parking lot that looked snowy but under the snow was solid ice, and i ended up sliding for a good 200 meters downhill before stopping (thank god nobody was there). I know that one was kind of obvious, but I have boarderline retarded friends with audi's that really have no principle of a car's behavior in any weather, and don't ruin a perfectly good audi.

the end

edit: or do what i did and buy a 1980 toyota corolla rally car and get some insane spiked tires (not pictured)

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/2435000-2435999/2435425_2_full.jpg

sandnessmj
12-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by bluebahnq
this is going to be my second winter, but some advice for your first:
1. Remember quattro doesnt mean you can act arrogant like you drive a bmw
2. Don't be an arrogant idiot, you don't drive a bmw
3. Hit up open parking lots with little to no obstructions or anything you can hit or run over (drain grates especially)
4. Before you hit up #3, drive around the place slow, so youre sure there isnt any crazy ice or anything.
5. Have fun in said area

These are vital to learning what you and the car can do, both to have fun and to be ready for situations on the road caused by bmw drivers.

A few other tips, the handbrake shouldnt be abused, if there is enough snow you can just turn a bit and mat it, this is not to say that the fun handle cant be used though. Making the transition from dry (or wet melted snow, you know what i mean) to snow... take it easy, especially if you dont know how deep or icy things may be. I took a turn into a parking lot that looked snowy but under the snow was solid ice, and i ended up sliding for a good 200 meters downhill before stopping (thank god nobody was there). I know that one was kind of obvious, but I have boarderline retarded friends with audi's that really have no principle of a car's behavior in any weather, and don't ruin a perfectly good audi.

the end

edit: or do what i did and buy a 1980 toyota corolla rally car and get some insane spiked tires

what.

AudiSport12
12-06-2006, 05:24 PM
haha impressive first post. [up]
i concour with your BMW statements.

yemntftb
12-06-2006, 09:06 PM
thanks guys...I'm not totally sure what the handbrake deal is, as I never really felt like messing around with it in the subaru...

speedydtp247
12-06-2006, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by yemntftb
thanks guys...I'm not totally sure what the handbrake deal is, as I never really felt like messing around with it in the subaru...
you dont need to use the ebrake! you have quattro and a man trans so you dont need to use the ebrake to slide around

e.van
12-06-2006, 09:20 PM
DO get it sideways.
DON'T wreck it.

lol that's all there is to it!

Poopie
12-06-2006, 10:08 PM
save the snow drifting for empty parking lots. Drive slowly and cautiously. There are a ton of bad drivers. It only takes one mistake to get you in trouble. quattro is to pull you out of situations for the winter.

BranCKY3
12-06-2006, 10:13 PM
Don't do donuts in reverse!!!!!!

4ringAR
12-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Poopie
save the snow drifting for empty parking lots. Drive slowly and cautiously. There are a ton of bad drivers. It only takes one mistake to get you in trouble. quattro is to pull you out of situations for the winter.

SO TRUE!! even if you are a great driver and can handle your car, other people are stupid and cant handle their car.

Keep the snow sliding off the roads where people can get hurt. and try to get as empty of a parking lot as possible. you can never be too safe.

Poopie
12-06-2006, 10:46 PM
basically just use the thing on your shoulders and you'll be fine.

yemntftb
12-07-2006, 01:14 PM
thanks guys.

a4cefed
12-07-2006, 01:35 PM
another thing to note, these cars can recover without a problem. should you lose control, dont be affraid to countersteer with a LITTLE gas

loustylez
12-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by r12055ma4play
another thing to note, these cars can recover without a problem. should you lose control, dont be affraid to countersteer with a LITTLE gas
yah man that was the first thing i noticed palying in a parking lot the other night. i'm REALLY glad i did because i learned a lot about how the car handles. it was really fun to let it slide out a bit, then gas it barely enough to pull back in to the turn then give it a hefty push to swing it around a couple times ;)

Yuikio
12-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Don't coast around turns. Quattro doesn't work if you're not on the gas. Slow down, then use a little throttle to actually move through the turn.

Get better tires. The only way to stop better in snow/ice is snow tires.

In general, stay in a lower gear. Don't drive around in first though; it's too short and too easy to overpower the tires' grip. You want to be in the powerband so if you start sliding you can apply some throttle to change the car's trajectory.

Practice in a snowy parking lot.

Black92LX
12-07-2006, 05:25 PM
should you lose control, dont be affraid to countersteer with a LITTLE gas

WRONG!

You steer into it~~

That is unless you are trying to get ridiculous. If you are sliding to the right steer right. if you are sliding left steer left!!

maxspeed
12-07-2006, 05:37 PM
yea.... countersteering with awd => whipping around to the other direction, if your going around a turn when this happens, hope theres no cars or trees or fences or rocks or anything around.

yemntftb
12-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Steer to the same side your slipping? So if im in the right lane making a turn that goes from right to left, and I slide off to the right side as the turn goes left, correct the slide by steering right until i straighten out and then try to continue to the left to complete the turn without going off the road?

a4cefed
12-08-2006, 06:54 AM
i dont know what you guys are talking about but when i do this, i correct my slide just fine.

e.van
12-08-2006, 08:10 AM
Yea I drift like nobody's business, which is all about counter-steering...

smoothie
12-08-2006, 10:18 AM
^^^ me 3 lol but ya what the hell are you talking about steer in the direction your turning into to correct oversteer?? just think about that for a few minutes..... ya you will whip back if you keep holding your counter steer..... you don't turn into a turn, start sliding and keep turning into that direction!?!?!

Militant-Grunt
12-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Same for me, its my first year with the audi in the winter. Although my Mother's Land Rover is a tank in the snow.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/2632/1000004xq0.jpg

The ML55 on the other hand is a beast, on nearly bald all season this thing handles great. I got in trouble at my previous college by attracting a crowd watching me do a perfect figure 8 in the parking lot. Im really curious to see how my A4 will fare in the snow compared to Suv's

matt719
12-08-2006, 02:00 PM
It's all about the tires. All wheel drive doesn't do shit if you aren't touching the road. The comments about understeer are good advice.. last winter I was coming down a very steep driveway that turned at 90 degrees with 4 inches of fresh snow. I started off very slow, and applied the brakes to slow down - then ABS kicked in and I went flying down the driveway. Knowing I wasn't going to make the turn (going maybe 15-20mph by now), I turned earlier. I slid past the turn, and the car started to turn at the last minute. Missed a tree (a big mofo tree) by about 6 inches. Why did this happen? Well ABS can suck sometimes, but the reason it kicked in was I was running on near bald all-seasons. This year I'm not dicking around - buying snow tires.

I would suggest you do the same. A lot of it depends where you live. If your area is flat then to be honest, you'll be fine with regular tires with a good amount of tread. I live in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, so it's an issue for me. My driveway goes up 30 degrees and is a sheet of ice in the winter. From your sig, it looks like you live in a fairly hilly area.

Black92LX
12-08-2006, 04:04 PM
you don't turn into a turn, start sliding and keep turning into that direction!?!?!

yes actually you do.

sounhds strange yes but it is the quickest way to reain traction.
you counter steer you will go round and round. which is fun at times unless you are headed towards a tree.

smoothie
12-08-2006, 04:24 PM
ya you regain traction.... traction to make the car go forward! not in the direction you want it to go in.

Black92LX
12-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by smoothie
ya you regain traction.... traction to make the car go forward! not in the direction you want it to go in.

if you don't regain traction you aren't going to going where you want to go it's going wher the car wants to go. so steer in to it. then you're in business.

smoothie
12-10-2006, 06:07 PM
sorry to be a jerk man, but i just want to see how this works. hit up some snowy streets and have a friend video tape you while you slide around a turn. i don't wanna try your method cuz i'm not familiar with it, but i def. want to see it in action.

yemntftb
12-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Yeah, hilly is right, plus I go into the mountains every weekend, madriver glen and killington both not the best spots to drive around if your car isn't all wheel drive.

Last Friday, the 8th, 5 or 6 inches of fresh snow on the drive up to killington, unplowed roads car handled really well. Although I did experience overpowering of the wheels on a hill launching in 1st gear...heavy traffic because of an accident, plus 30 degree hill and starting and stopping = tough without the grip of snow tires, but still the handled well.

Turn into the slide - this works quite well....tested the car out in a parking lot, sliding all over all I had to do to correct a slide was quickly turn the wheel into the slide and then back to where I wanted to go and I was all set...very impressive stuff.