PDA

View Full Version : Disconnecting ASR / ABS?

FIRE
12-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Last weekend I tried my b5 for the first time on track...Its a 2001 A4 1.8T Tiptronic...

I had a little issue...it was my first time launching an Automatic Transmision car on the 1/4 mile...I putted on some gas...while holding the brake...but my revs didn´t came any higher than 2,500 rpm´s...so it didn´t gave me enough traction to launch it...the worst part is that i lost against a 1,300cc little soapbox...lol

I´ve been reading a lot...and I found that this might be related to the ASR control on my Audi...and I also read that this ASR has something to do with the ABS...

According to the owners manual...my car should have an ASR disconnection button...but it doesn´t...

So...is there a safe way to temp disconnect this sistem without being in danger?

Can I just remove the ABS fuse for a while and then plug it in again without any harm to the car?

Help a noob please!! [:(]

P.D. I also searched here for some ASR related threads...but didn´t find anything that could help me... [=(]

1 ate T
12-06-2006, 09:50 AM
FWD or Quattro

FIRE
12-06-2006, 10:10 AM
FWD !

King18TQuattro
12-06-2006, 10:42 AM
did you have it in tip or normal mode when reving it?

You have to have it in tip, this way rpm's will raise and boost will raise as well. Did you notice that when holding at 2500 the boost gauge was at 0

FIRE
12-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by King18TQuattro
did you have it in tip or normal mode when reving it?

You have to have it in tip, this way rpm's will raise and boost will raise as well. Did you notice that when holding at 2500 the boost gauge was at 0

I´ve had it in Tip mode... [=(]

When i was trying to rev it...it just didn´t went higher than 2.5k rpms...[:(]

I don´t have a boost gauge (yet) but i could felt that the turbo just didnt charged..[confused]

I checked my fuse box a couple of minutes ago...but I ain´t got any ABS/ASR fuse..[=(] what can I do?

mike-2ptzero
12-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by FIRE
I´ve had it in Tip mode... [=(]

When i was trying to rev it...it just didn´t went higher than 2.5k rpms...[:(]

I don´t have a boost gauge (yet) but i could felt that the turbo just didnt charged..[confused]

I checked my fuse box a couple of minutes ago...but I ain´t got any ABS/ASR fuse..[=(] what can I do?

The revs wont get any higher then 2.5k rpm since that is what the stock tq converter is set at.

The A4's dont have ASR, if your car has ESP you can turn it off with the bottom on the dash. ASR is on the VW line of cars.

The other issue you might have had during the launch is the fact that you have a dbw car. If you stay on the throttle too long while sitting on the brakes the ECU will close the throttle for you. Since you have very little time before this happens it is good to load the car up but going wot just before you want to launch and let off the brake right after the rpms get up to 2500.

FIRE
12-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by mike-2ptzero
The revs wont get any higher then 2.5k rpm since that is what the stock tq converter is set at.

The A4's dont have ASR, if your car has ESP you can turn it off with the bottom on the dash. ASR is on the VW line of cars.

The other issue you might have had during the launch is the fact that you have a dbw car. If you stay on the throttle too long while sitting on the brakes the ECU will close the throttle for you. Since you have very little time before this happens it is good to load the car up but going wot just before you want to launch and let off the brake right after the rpms get up to 2500.

[:)] I get it...so it´s not ASR...its ESP [hail]

And nope...I don´t have that ESP button on my dash...according to the manual it should be right next to the fog lights switch...but there´s no button in there..[=(] (Actually there is a space but without any function..lol )

What´s (dbw) & (wot) [:p]

So...what i got was that if I just keep on the throttle...the ECU will just cut some gas and reduce the power...I should gas it until it gets before the 2500 rpms and then let off the brake...right?

[hail]

mike-2ptzero
12-06-2006, 01:18 PM
[:)] I get it...so it´s not ASR...its ESP [hail]

And nope...I don´t have that ESP button on my dash...according to the manual it should be right next to the fog lights switch...but there´s no button in there..[=(] (Actually there is a space but without any function..lol )

What´s (dbw) & (wot) [:p]

So...what i got was that if I just keep on the throttle...the ECU will just cut some gas and reduce the power...I should gas it until it gets before the 2500 rpms and then let off the brake...right?

[hail]

Well not all of the 2001's came with ESP so it seems you dont have it.

Yes that would be the correct way to launch your tip.

FIRE
12-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Well not all of the 2001's came with ESP so it seems you dont have it.

Yes that would be the correct way to launch your tip.

[:)] Tks a lot Mike...[hail]

So...there´s no possible way to launch it on higher rpm´s i guess [:(] ...and no possible way either to disconnect this limiter [=(]

1 ate T
12-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Not with a tip... Shoulda got a manual [:p]

bassed
12-06-2006, 01:35 PM

FWD A4's can have ASR!

bassed
12-06-2006, 01:40 PM
Last weekend I tried my b5 for the first time on track...Its a 2001 A4 1.8T Tiptronic...

I had a little issue...it was my first time launching an Automatic Transmision car on the 1/4 mile...I putted on some gas...while holding the brake...but my revs didn´t came any higher than 2,500 rpm´s...so it didn´t gave me enough traction to launch it...the worst part is that i lost against a 1,300cc little soapbox...lol

I´ve been reading a lot...and I found that this might be related to the ASR control on my Audi...and I also read that this ASR has something to do with the ABS...

According to the owners manual...my car should have an ASR disconnection button...but it doesn´t...

So...is there a safe way to temp disconnect this sistem without being in danger?

Can I just remove the ABS fuse for a while and then plug it in again without any harm to the car?

Help a noob please!! [:(]

P.D. I also searched here for some ASR related threads...but didn´t find anything that could help me... [=(]

If you remove your ABS you'll esentailly have one wheel drive if any one tire has no traction or is in the air etc... ABS controls EDL.

1 ate T
12-06-2006, 01:41 PM
I've only seen ASR in Jetta's and GTi's

FIRE
12-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by 1 ate T
Not with a tip... Shoulda got a manual [:p]

Kinda late for that...[:p] lol [headbang]

bassed
12-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by 1 ate T
I've only seen ASR in Jetta's and GTi's

It's on Audi's as well FWD only.
http://www.netconnecters.com/audi/images/asr_button.jpg

FIRE
12-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by bassed
If you remove your ABS you'll esentailly have one wheel drive if any one tire has no traction or is in the air etc... ABS controls EDL.

Oh...but that shouldn´t be a problem since it doesn´t snows in here...lol...and I don´t ussually drive on dirt tracks or similar.. [wrench]

What´s the EDL? :S

Sorry if i´m asking this much...but I just got the b5 like 10 days ago..[:D]

FIRE
12-06-2006, 01:46 PM
It's on Audi's as well FWD only.
http://www.netconnecters.com/audi/images/asr_button.jpg

That´s exactly like my dash looks like...but the ASR button is missing.. [:(]

bassed
12-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Well are you Quattro or FWD? It was an optional Traction control for just FWD just as ESP is for Quattro on 00-01's. ESP includes ASR function BTW and ASR and ESP were only available for DBW cars.

FIRE
12-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Well are you Quattro or FWD? It was an optional Traction control for just FWD just as ESP is for Quattro on 00-01's. ESP includes ASR function BTW and ASR and ESP were only available for DBW cars.

Mine is FWD [:(]

bassed
12-06-2006, 01:57 PM

What´s the EDL? :S
[:D]

EDL -Electronic Differential Lock is on all Quatrro IV (96' and higher) cars and works up to 40mph for the A4 higher on other models. It basically pulses the ABS on a spinning wheel. Difflock imitation, detects wheelspin via ABS sensors and applies brakes to spinning wheels thus transferring torque via open differential to another wheel which has more traction).

Basically Quatrro is summed up like this:

Torsen center differential, 50/50 split, automatically locking with up to 80% of torque transfer to either axle.

Open rear differential, Electronic Differential Lock.

Open front differential, Electronic Differential Lock.

FIRE
12-06-2006, 02:04 PM
EDL -Electronic Differential Lock is on all Quatrro IV (96' and higher) cars and works up to 40mph for the A4 higher on other models. It basically pulses the ABS on a spinning wheel. Difflock imitation, detects wheelspin via ABS sensors and applies brakes to spinning wheels thus transferring torque via open differential to another wheel which has more traction).

Basically Quatrro is summed up like this:

Torsen center differential, 50/50 split, automatically locking with up to 80% of torque transfer to either axle.

Open rear differential, Electronic Differential Lock.

Open front differential, Electronic Differential Lock.

[eek] damn...that´s some good info... tks bassed..[:D]