PDA

View Full Version : Cq Light Hid Kit

a4sleepa
12-05-2006, 07:55 PM
OK....here's the deal, I'm ordering either a 6500k or 8000k kit from CQ on friday. I've searched this...BELIEVE ME. Maybe I'm just retarded.
I have an 01 as you can see, and I want to do the install DIY. But before I order them, I need some 411. So all you guys w/ the CQ kits plz help. It is 200 bucks and I really don't wanna waste it.

Question 1) Are the kits plug and play like the site says? Or do I still need to cut a hole in the back of the housings?

Q2) Its the H7 conversion kit that I need right?? The site says something about D25???

Q3) I don't need to buy anything but what comes in the kit right?

Q4) any do's / donts that you could hit me w/ b4 I do the install??

Thanks alot, and sorry for the incompetence! [az]

bOOOOstedAudi
12-05-2006, 08:00 PM
1. need to cut whole
2. conversion is needed
3. no you should have everything
4. if you are gonna do it yourslef try and find pics of other peoples diy

Emil@RENN-ART
12-05-2006, 08:04 PM
i was very impressed by this kit compared some other kits i've seen and installed. it installed seemlessly and the light is very bright!! also, no BULB OUT light!! highly recommend it!

a4sleepa
12-05-2006, 08:10 PM
cool....from what I hear it kicks some serious anus... I just got a case of the old "spending more than 100 dollars jitters"

alot of the play by play hid diy's that I saw had the pics either removed or were seriously weak...Know of any good ones?...By the way dude...I'm forcing my girl to do a half naked photo shoot...lol

SoFresh
12-05-2006, 09:15 PM
youre going to love the kit, i have their 6500k kit, sooooo bright, love it! best investment I have ever spent on my audi by far!!!

a4sleepa
12-05-2006, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by high_octaneRS-4
youre going to love the kit, i have their 6500k kit, sooooo bright, love it! best investment I have ever spent on my audi by far!!!

I know...you're the 1 person I've seen ranting and raving about 'em so i figured what the hey...besides, my wifes paying for them as a pre-christmas (she doesn't know yet) gift so if i f-'em up during the install I'm gonna feel like shit x10... Did you install yourself? Know any good w/u's with pics? (not the lltek!!)

PS...if the 6500k is super bright, the 8k should still retain the HID brightness as well right? I just wan't a distinct look [cool]

A4Rob
12-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by high_octaneRS-4
x2 got it

IKE20VA4
12-05-2006, 11:05 PM
DON'T get anything over 6000k. It's a waste of your money. You should get 4100k if you want the most bang for your buck. The bluer the light, the less light you can actually see. Yeah you may think it looks cool, but personally I think it's cooler having more light on the road!

a4cefed
12-06-2006, 07:12 AM
i have the 6500k kit and im happy with it.

bass_lover1
12-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by a4sleepa
OK....here's the deal, I'm ordering either a 6500k or 8000k kit from CQ on friday. I've searched this...BELIEVE ME. Maybe I'm just retarded.
I have an 01 as you can see, and I want to do the install DIY. But before I order them, I need some 411. So all you guys w/ the CQ kits plz help. It is 200 bucks and I really don't wanna waste it.

Question 1) Are the kits plug and play like the site says? Or do I still need to cut a hole in the back of the housings?

Q2) Its the H7 conversion kit that I need right?? The site says something about
D25???

Q3) I don't need to buy anything but what comes in the kit right?

Q4) any do's / donts that you could hit me w/ b4 I do the install??

Thanks alot, and sorry for the incompetence! [az]

I've had my CQ Lighting kit for a little bit less than a year, and they still work perfectly fine.

1)Yes, they really are plug and play...everything you need to get them working comes w/ the kit. You need to run the wires through the dust cap on the back of your lights...or you could try to get it to work some other way thats up to you.

2)Yes, match the HID kit bulb up w/ your stock bulbs (H7 more than likely, but mine were H1s on my Passat). Also its D2S...which is the bulb type for OEM HID kits, dont worry about that.

3)Right

4)Be careful w/ the bulb is pretty much all I can think of.

IMO I wouldn't go over the 5000K kit they sell. I've been using them in my Passat since February and I love every time I get to drive at night, but IMO they are a little too blue for my tastes and I think the 6500K would be definitely too blue.

killroy77
12-07-2006, 11:09 AM
4k or 5k is the best. Don't go over 6k or you will lose usable light. Starts looking kind of cheap the higher you go over 6k.
6k is about as high is anyone should go.

killroy77
12-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Also the higher you go the greater your chances of standing out and getting a ticket.

Mad_Audi
12-07-2006, 02:15 PM
^get a ticket for what?? lights being too bright??? i guess since i live in boondocks north carolina we dont have that problem since all the cops are country bumpkins

AudiSport12
12-07-2006, 02:36 PM
no your more suceptible to being noticed because your lights are so blue, which stand out from most other cars on the road who have yellow halogens. if your easier to spot, you are more likely to receive a ticket for doing something b/c you stick out.

i personally like sticking out and love the blue in my HID's. looks classy and sweet IMO. now im waiting for killroy to flame me

Mad_Audi
12-07-2006, 02:40 PM
okay gotcha....didnt know if it was illegal to do aftermarket HIDS on the west coast

ridelikeme
12-07-2006, 02:46 PM
i have the 8000K and i love it

killroy77
12-07-2006, 04:10 PM
HID kits are Illegal in All 50 States. They don't comply with NHTSA standard 108.

That includes me too since they are not 100% OEM with auto-leveling and headlight washers. THey are just oem bulbs, and projectors.

I'm done trying to convince people about the >6k = bad output.
Its just that every other Audi, Merc, BMW, etc that I see with HID's are a nice clean white whith a very slight hint of blueish purple.

Then I see Slammed Honda civics and accords with PNP kits blinding the hell out of everyone, and they always have super blue 6-8k kits.

OEM coloring from 4k, just looks classy In my opinion.
With HID's I want a good combo of performance and looks. 4k is the best performance and still looks good in the right projectors.

SoFresh
12-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by killroy77

I'm done trying to convince people about the >6k = bad output.
Its just that every other Audi, Merc, BMW, etc that I see with HID's are a nice clean white whith a very slight hint of blueish purple.

We've discussed this many times.... 6500k is whitish from the drivers seat, and put white light on the ground... also, once again, anything over looks blue, then purple, we've all seen color comparrison charts on here... but then again, everyone is entitled to their own I guess...

IKE20VA4
12-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Yeah, I've had brand new 6000k bulbs and brand new philips 4100k bulbs and its enough of a difference for me to stay with 4100k because I like it to be like daylight when I drive at night. But everyone has their own preference.

ilgabrielli
12-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Does anyone know if the bulbs on this H7 kit are optically aligned? I know that the kits on Polarion Lighting and Sirius HID kits on this website are: http://xenonfactory.com The only thing is, they cost $500 and $300...

juju4uofa
12-07-2006, 09:45 PM
I guess I'm dumb. Can someone post me a link for these CQ kits. Thanks.

ridelikeme
12-07-2006, 11:51 PM
www.cqlights.ca

boosteda4
12-07-2006, 11:55 PM
i got this kit a while back and love it... cqlight is the way to go! for cheap

BoostFrenzy
12-07-2006, 11:58 PM
$199 US or CA?

ridelikeme
12-07-2006, 11:59 PM
american currency

ridelikeme
12-08-2006, 12:01 AM
does anyone know what type bulb the new beetles take, actually its a2000? im gettin a set for my gurl

BoostFrenzy
12-08-2006, 12:01 AM
anyone ever try this in pre 99.5 stock housings? my light output is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE, if the road is even REMOTELY damp i have to check to see if my lights are on unless someone is directly in front of me... it's true i've had cars with factory HID for some years, but i don't remember halogen being this horrible

BoostFrenzy
12-08-2006, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by ridelikeme
does anyone know what type bulb the new beetles take, actually its a2000? im gettin a set for my gurl

H1

juju4uofa
12-08-2006, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the link.

Sorry, but here's another question. As some of you know, My car was recently wrecked. My driver's side headlight was busted but passenger's side was unharmed. If I plan on buying this CQ kit, would I be better off buying a stock replacement headlight, getting a set of non-HID Ecodes, getting a set of HID Ecodes, or possibly another type of light? Thanks.

EnjoyIncs
12-08-2006, 07:32 AM
ridelikeme

you can find what bulbs she needs here.

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/default.htm

do you have any pics of the 8000k kit on?

bass_lover1
12-08-2006, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by juju4uofa
Thanks for the link.

Sorry, but here's another question. As some of you know, My car was recently wrecked. My driver's side headlight was busted but passenger's side was unharmed. If I plan on buying this CQ kit, would I be better off buying a stock replacement headlight, getting a set of non-HID Ecodes, getting a set of HID Ecodes, or possibly another type of light? Thanks.

I personally wouldn't use an HID kit on anything other than projector style housings. While reflectors are ok for halogens, they aren't very well suited for HID bulbs.

ridelikeme
12-08-2006, 09:50 AM
thanks for the help guys

juju4uofa
12-08-2006, 10:28 AM
I personally wouldn't use an HID kit on anything other than projector style housings. While reflectors are ok for halogens, they aren't very well suited for HID bulbs.

I thought both styles of Ecodes and stock '99.5+ lights were all projectors???

IKE20VA4
12-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Well you would be best off with either HID ecodes or DOT HID housings. Then get an HID kit with D2S bulbs. That would give you the best cut off, light spread, most effiecient setup with a kit.

bass_lover1
12-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by juju4uofa
I thought both styles of Ecodes and stock '99.5+ lights were all projectors???

Hell if I know...the B5 i'm familiar w/ only comes w/ projectors if you buy the Hella aftermarket setup...

Passat, if you couldn't figure it out.