PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever done anything like this to a b5?

k0mpresd
12-04-2006, 09:09 PM
or heard about it being done?

i remember being @ some vw class and they said even if the car didnt come w/ asr there was still some sort of esp

i assume my 2000 has something built into the abs

ive unplugged my abs module before but i dont really like doing that

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1080432

BoostFrenzy
12-04-2006, 09:45 PM
was just thinking about this today, the way EDL interacts with driving in snow is very unnatural, would be great to disable via software and leave abs intact

sean1.8t
12-04-2006, 10:11 PM
seems like a pretty awesome bit of info that should have been a little bit more easily attained..

white fish
12-05-2006, 08:49 AM
ok im slow
is this to disable your abs?

BoostFrenzy
12-05-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by white fish
ok im slow
is this to disable your abs?

no, edl (electronic differential lock) found on the B5 generation IV quattro in our cars is like a very cheap knockoff to try and act like having a real mechanical limited slip differential, it works by using the abs sensors to watch the wheel speed left/right and when one wheel spins faster than the other, it applies the brake with abs... idea is to KEEP normal ABS but disable this EDL "feature" as it's pretty unnatrual and feels funny anyway

94jedi
12-05-2006, 09:00 AM
hmm...so in effect, you're tricking the diff circuitry....I'd love to try something like that. My car is a 98.5, I know I have abs because I have the sensors but is the EDL limited to newer cars or all B5's?

Ian, are you going to try it?

bellofello
12-05-2006, 09:00 AM
so what feeling would this produce when driving exactly?

94jedi
12-05-2006, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by BoostFrenzy
no, edl (electronic differential lock) found on the B5 generation IV quattro in our cars is like a very cheap knockoff to try and act like having a real mechanical limited slip differential, it works by using the abs sensors to watch the wheel speed left/right and when one wheel spins faster than the other, it applies the brake with abs... idea is to KEEP normal ABS but disable this EDL "feature" as it's pretty unnatrual and feels funny anyway

So this would make our quattro "feel" more like the awd system in the EVo's and Subi's?

mike-2ptzero
12-05-2006, 09:18 AM
Odd thing is I have never felt my brakes being used while any of my wheels are spinning while doing a burn out or launching and I still have my ABS and ECU plugged in.

bellofello
12-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by 94jedi
So this would make our quattro "feel" more like the awd system in the EVo's and Subi's? so that is what it "feels" like stock, or what you want it to feel like. Because in the snow I don't really feel the brakes going on either when I'm fully sideways or doing doughnuts. I'm pre facelift too though.

k0mpresd
12-05-2006, 10:14 AM
i want to keep my abs

disable traction control

theres no tricking anything..its coding in the software..youre telling the module what to do by the coding

same as coding the ccm to roll the windows up/down w/ the key..no tricking..simple coding

and i cant try anything...i dont know the coding...hence the reason for this post [;)] ...i may play around some w/ it though

94jedi
12-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by k0mpresd
i want to keep my abs

disable traction control

theres no tricking anything..its coding in the software..youre telling the module what to do by the coding

same as coding the ccm to roll the windows up/down w/ the key..no tricking..simple coding

and i cant try anything...i dont know the coding...hence the reason for this post [;)] ...i may play around some w/ it though

well, if you figure it out, I'll try it. Actually...when I get home, I'm going to try reasearching this too....

BeeFiveQuattro
12-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by 94jedi
So this would make our quattro "feel" more like the awd system in the EVo's and Subi's?

No; they have real LSD's (not EDL).
-Disabling EDL will just give you a completely open front & rear differentials.

As far as I understand; EDL only works below ~15mph (and is good if one of your tires looses traction in the snow).

ESP on the other hand is what sucks (and I am glad I don't have it).
-Even with ESP "off", it never really is (and really interferes with spirited driving).

The link from the tex referenced above is primarily related to the disablement of Anti Slip Regulation (ASR).
-It is what applies the brakes when you loose traction (this may work for those of us who have ESP; but I don't believe EDL is the criminal).

e.van
12-05-2006, 11:09 AM
I like havin all my wheels spin the same... Makes axis spins and drifts a hell of a lot easier!

k0mpresd
12-05-2006, 11:18 AM
i posted in the vagcom forum on vortex..hopefully ill get an answer

onemoremile
12-05-2006, 11:39 AM
EDL does work at low speed but not in a performance oriented way. The snow has been plowed but we've got big ice patches everywhere. Several times over the last couple days I've come to a stop with both right tires on dry pavement and both lefts on pure ice (or vice-versa). The car stops smoothly and starts like the ice wasn't there. If I try to launch the car or something like that it just doesn't work. The tires on the ice have to be kept to 15mph or so or the system disengages to keep the brakes from overheating. It is meant to get you out of a ditch or mudhole or other real world slipperiness and it does a good job of it.
I'd still really prefer a real mechanical rear LSD for the track and autocross.

k0mpresd
12-05-2006, 11:40 AM
i want to drive a car w/ a stasis diff in it

see how it feels

sean1.8t
12-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by k0mpresd
i want to drive a car w/ a stasis diff in it

see how it feels

i've driven one and it is a completely different feel.. amazing!!

although, some of that could have been associated with the fact that it is a stg 3 S4 with every other thing you could do to that car.. but really since it has an insane amount power it probably just inhanced the added control of the center diff and LSD from STaSIS