PDA

View Full Version : Not impresssed by chip performance ???

AlmondA4
12-04-2006, 08:32 PM
I recently got a autothority ECU and i am not to impressed with the performance. I have a 98 1.8T fwd 5 speed. It seems to pull a little harder after like 35 but not a huge amount. I still have the stock diverter valve. I'm not sure if that would make it have a lot less boost. The local dealer here said the stock valve would only allow like 10 psi . So i don't know what to think. Any suggestion would be good.

sean1.8t
12-04-2006, 08:59 PM
not to sure what the specs on this Authority ecu are but a DV is a chips best friend. definately upgrade to at least a 710N..

as for the rest. i would get a boost guage and see what you are boosting and compare it to what you should be. because a chip is definately something you can feel. especially before 35 mph

juju4uofa
12-04-2006, 09:25 PM
You'll feel the main differnce between 3K and 5.5K rpm. At first, I didn't think my APR made much difference, but either it got broke in or I learned how to drive it. Also remember, a chipped A4 is still a slow car :(

LateraLex
12-04-2006, 09:31 PM
^^ Couldn't say it better than these guys. Grab a boost gauge and a 710N DV. [up]

beejohn
12-05-2006, 01:12 AM
well.. what boost does the chip run? install a boost gauge to find out.

bOOOOstedAudi
12-05-2006, 01:39 AM
maybe you should get a boost gauge. when i first got my chip i wanted to shit myself. now im in a totally different area

Neo1130
12-05-2006, 04:42 AM
I noticed NO difference what so ever in my car when I got chipped with Upsolute... Found a few boost leaks and nothing still... Then two days later started my car up and that is when I noticed the power!

RudeBwoi
12-05-2006, 04:48 AM
you should notice a pretty rediculous difference with a chip...but yea, theyre still slow, just alot less slow.

GraysonF
12-05-2006, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by Neo1130
I noticed NO difference what so ever in my car when I got chipped with Upsolute... Found a few boost leaks and nothing still... Then two days later started my car up and that is when I noticed the power!

thats weird neo, maybe your ecu hadnt adapted?

AUD-A4
12-05-2006, 05:12 AM
my car was the same way,i got chipped by awetunning.i felt a bit of a difference when i first got it done,but a few days later i really started to feel it.

TwentyValveB5
12-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by beejohn
well.. what boost does the chip run? install a boost gauge to find out.

he got this chip from me... i gave you a ride in the car with this chip in it, didn't i? It didn't feel slow. Felt about on-par with my APR ECU, just a little less torquey.

Todd,
Definitely check for boost leaks, replace your vac lines if you haven't already, and look into upgrading your DV.
Make sure to do a TB adaptation, clear any codes you have, then let the ECU 'adapt'.

Don Supreme
12-05-2006, 12:32 PM
You probably have a boost leak. I had the same problem when I first got my GIAC chip. When I found the leak by accident I was like hot dammmnnn.

sean1.8t
12-05-2006, 12:54 PM
now that i think about it, i remember reading something a while back that sometimes the ecu can take a few hours or a day or two to adapt to the new program.. correct me if im wrong though

AlmondA4
12-06-2006, 05:26 AM
How should go about searching for a boost leak?? Would i hear the boost leak. I hear the turbo a small amount sometimes it almost makes like a squeaking noise. Does that sound like a boost leak or bad diverter valve ?

LateraLex
12-06-2006, 05:49 AM
If you search for the tennis ball technique you will find a good way for finding leaks. It basically involves pressurizing your vac lines with the engine off. I don't have a way to do that so I just look for the leaks manually.

There are a few major culprits - if you look at your intake manifold (giant cast iron piece on the top of the engine bay) you will see a vaccum line connection right near the front of the car. I'm betting you have the stock lines which are vaccum lines surrounded with cloth material. Over time, this gets old and brittle and cracks open. If you look at where it attaches to the manifold and give it a wiggle you might notice it is hiding a crack.

If not there, there is another one on the manifold up towards the firewall. Those two are the easiest to replace so start there... if you are on stock vac lines you are due for a change anyways. You can buy some replacement lines (.35mm inner diameter) from any parts store and get some worm clamps to seal them down.

AlmondA4
12-06-2006, 06:09 PM
I looked at the VAC lines today they both seem very worn and cracked. Hopefully between replacing these and the diverter valve i will see some better gains. Once i get a boost gauges how many psi should i be boosting the autothority site claims 40hp and 50ft tq

CSHO1.8t
12-06-2006, 06:16 PM
you should boost between 16/17 psi with that. mine hits 18 on good days

chuckievi
12-06-2006, 06:17 PM
i was in the same boat as you Almond, when I was replacing my timing belt I broke a vac line so I went and bought some to replace it. I ended up replacing both the vac line to the DV and to the fuel pressure regulator and BAM it was a whole new car. If yours are cracked/worn definetly get some new line and replace it, it WILL make a difference.

bOOOOstedAudi
12-06-2006, 06:40 PM
lol my apr was doing 22psi and holding

TwentyValveB5
12-13-2006, 03:16 PM
I think it's a .8 BAR ECU, so somewhere around 12psi.
And please, PLEASE respond to my PMs. I'm still waiting on your stock ECU, and it's been over a week. You agreed to cross-ship the ECU but waited until you received mine. I'm not pleased in the least.

Audiman78
12-13-2006, 03:20 PM
Yeah Chip is cool at first, then you get the itch for more power. Definately should be amazing at first though. After driving around chipped jetta's and GTI's at work makes my car feel slow again!

Chris

MDM_A4
12-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Yo Almond,

Where are you located in Orlando? There is a pretty active Audi club here, so if you need some help there are a number of local Audi enthusiasts that would willing to help you out. There is a regional forum over on AW where most of them post. Let me know if you need some local help.

Michael

WhiteQuattro1.8
12-13-2006, 05:42 PM
While your all talking about chipping information im thinking about going it to. Im getting a brand new engine next week and also had a brand new stock turbo put on 3 months ago. (all done free from the dealership otherwise iw ould have upgraded) How much psi can stock internals hold espcially on a new engine?

12-13-2006, 08:17 PM
Im thinking boost leak too.
For the first 1k or so, it didnt seem like much of a difference.
I found about 5 hoses that were leaking.
OMG what a difference