PDA

View Full Version : I'm having some misfiring issues

E Fresh
12-04-2006, 11:11 AM
A couple of days ago my car started to mis fire and the check engine light came on. I had my friend come over and we VAGged it, and we got a misfire in cylinder three. So I went and bought new spark plugs then installed them. We tried to start the car, and it wouldn't start, and we tried it again and it would't start at all, it's like the motor was just dead. We gave it a few minutes, then tried to start it again. On about the fourth try we hit the gas pedal about 3/4 then it started up. We kept it running by keeping it at about 3K rpms for a few minutes. After that the car ran fine and the idle was perfect, it's like nothing ever happened. It drove fine for a few days and felt like normal. Then I started it up this morning, and the same misfiring feeling happened, and threw a CEL. I'm going to VAG it again and see what it says. Do you guys have a feeling of what it could be? Could the same plug be burning out again after only five starts? I was also thinking that maybe it has something to do with the motor not getting enough fuel? My fuel filter hasn't been changed in a long time, would this be the problem? Thanks for any suggestions guys[up]

GraysonF
12-04-2006, 12:58 PM
im gonna guess the icm. iirc when its the icm, cylinder 3 shows a misfire code.

E Fresh
12-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the help and advice. [up]

Is there any way to tell by looking at if the modules gone bad? Would it show up on VAG at all?

needforspd
12-04-2006, 01:59 PM
Youre a 99 right Jon? If so then like said above, its prolly the ICM

E Fresh
12-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Yea the late model, so 99.5. I'm gonna check the coilpacks, if it's not that then I'll check the module. [up]