PDA

View Full Version : Rear Bilstein install help needed

SeanF
12-03-2006, 10:30 PM
hey, so i went to install my rear bilsteins today...

got the old shock out fine, and then realized the bilstein has a lower resting point, so i couldnt put enough weight on it to get the top bolt through the top eye of the shock...

spring compressors wont work, because once the spring is on the strut, the coils are too close to get the compressors out...

thanks for the tips in advance...

salz2135
12-03-2006, 10:59 PM
wow this is insane. I had the EXACT same problem just a few hours ago. had to swap out my blown bilstein sport.

what I did was place a compressor arms one coil from the bottom and the other arm at the top most coil just before the coils begin to get closer together. if this does not make sense PM me and I can try to explain further. if you have a similar compressor kit to what I used, this will give you just enough compression to line up the upper mounting point.

now, once you have the upper mounting point secure, you need to remove the bolts from the compressor kit completely so the arms are attached to the spring only. then, simply slide the arms down along the spring until you reach a part of the spring that is wide enough to pull them out.

ridelikeme
12-04-2006, 01:05 AM
k this might be kinda obvious but did you make sure that both rear tires are off the ground?

SeanF
12-04-2006, 04:10 AM
yea, but i had no problem with any part on the car, it was only once everything was off the car assembling with the new struts...

k0mpresd
12-04-2006, 04:50 AM
i found this out on saturday as well

i had to seriously compress the new spring a lot more to get the rears all assembled

what spring compressor are you using?

SeanF
12-04-2006, 05:26 AM
i had previously used an autozone rental compressor, just to find out i didnt need it with the stock shocks... and that i couldnt get it out with the spring compressed... the coils held on to the compressor not letting it out..

SchnellB5
12-04-2006, 10:29 AM
If you left it on the lowest pirch then you should be able to just push on it enough to get the top bolt in, thats what I did. But if you raised it then you are going to have to use two spring compresors on each spring just on the lower portion of the springs and you will basically tighten them up as close as they can go. pm me if you can't get it and I will try and help you out more.

SeanF
12-04-2006, 10:59 AM
yea, i wont be using those looooooow perches for a while...

i think it maaaaybe possible to use a spring compressor and just take it apart to get the compressor off the springs...

iin10ded
12-04-2006, 11:24 AM
hey i had the same thing happen on my install. the hooks on the crap compressor i used were too thick and wouldnt allow the spring to be compressed enough to get the assembly bolted together. i just borrowed this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43753
which should work great to let me redo all 4 shocks and raise the car for the winter.

offroader1006
12-04-2006, 12:15 PM
i had to rig mine with a cart mounted compressor, main bearing caps and a 120mm exhaust valve.

hope that helps[:D]