PDA

View Full Version : Sooo upset :(

MikeWasHere05
12-03-2006, 04:15 PM
I bought a 98.5 black 1.8T 5 speed last week for my first car (Been saving since I was 13), but I don't know standard.

My dad took me out today but I'm still not good enough to go on the road, and he can't take me out again until next weekend.

Thanks to my state's (Connecticut) passenger laws, nobody besides my parents can be in the car with me for the first three months.

So more or less, I have the nicest car in my school... but can't drive it. At least for another week. [=(]

sean1.8t
12-03-2006, 04:18 PM
first off, get used to not driving your car for weeks at a time.. second of all, my state had a law like that but i never followed it

GraysonF
12-03-2006, 04:21 PM
cant you teach yourself in your neighborhood or something?

burner799
12-03-2006, 04:29 PM
98.5 audi nicest car in school? woooooow.

murph013
12-03-2006, 04:30 PM
First gear's the hardest to get used to, once you get that, you're golden...

We have a law like that around here, but it didn't matter much because I didn't even have a car the first couple months after I got my license.

If you can get it to an empty parking lot or something (maybe have a friend drive it over there with you or something), then you can have at it there, or, like the above post said, if you live in a quiet neighborhood without a lot of traffic, you can probably just tool around the block a couple of times.

MikeWasHere05
12-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by burner799
98.5 audi nicest car in school? woooooow.
The only "competition" I have are two 01 325xi's. I'd rather have my Audi.

I'm going to try and get out of my driveway tomorrow and practice around the block, but they're forecasting snow. Quattro, I know, but I don't feel like taking any more of a risk than I need to.

Mattgfx
12-03-2006, 04:56 PM
loL! i never follow the laws.. im 17 and i have my juinor licence :)

sandnessmj
12-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by MikeWasHere05
I bought a 98.5 black 1.8T 5 speed last week for my first car (Been saving since I was 13), but I don't know standard.

My dad took me out today but I'm still not good enough to go on the road, and he can't take me out again until next weekend.

Thanks to my state's (Connecticut) passenger laws, nobody besides my parents can be in the car with me for the first three months.

So more or less, I have the nicest car in my school... but can't drive it. At least for another week. [=(]

It's true what's been said about first gear being the hardest to master. Just practice letting the clutch out slowly until it starts to engage, and then give it a little gas, and then push the clutch back in when you've gone 10-15 feet. Then repeat. Once you get used to the clutch engagement, you'll be taking off up steep inclines in no time.

AHB900
12-03-2006, 05:45 PM
OK well here listen.. the audi was the first car i ever attempted to drive stick on it was the first time i ever tryed stickshift at all i got it i got in i turned it on and i figured it out myself no one taught my at alll it was all me i taught my self after about5 mins of driving i was pretty good second day i got up early i went to drive i was all going up hills and stuff. my point is u dont need ne one to teach u how to drive as long as they show u the basics u can do it urself just try goin up and down ur street...

burner799
12-03-2006, 05:50 PM
dont worry man, practice and you will get get with some time. my 99.5 was one of the shittiest cars on campus...thats cali for you i guess though.[:(]

94jedi
12-03-2006, 06:12 PM
I don't feel like taking any more of a risk than I need to.

smart kid. [up] just practice whenever you can and you'll learn in no time. My pops made me drive home from Wash DC on I-495 during rush hour. I learned real quick.

Poopie
12-03-2006, 06:20 PM
i practiced on a buddy's shitty integra. You get used to it! Good choice on car though. I have a 1998.5 as well. Good call on playing it smart. In the meantime do some mods!

98a4
12-03-2006, 06:26 PM
I went up and down my driveway about 100 times in an hour to practice, it did wonders. Reverse is an easier gear but harder on the tranny if you stall.

AB18
12-03-2006, 06:29 PM
I learned when i was 13 out in the middle of no where in a old junky truck, so when i hit 16 and got my A4 it was a breeze. When we went to test drive it, my dad drove it off the lot, and then i took over, was only 15 then to, haha.

CaSp3r9
12-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Haha some of the nicest cars at my high school were a 2005 BMW X5 4.4i, 2006 Audi A4 2.0t S-line, 2006 Audi A6 4.2, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Lexus IS350, 2003 BMW 330ci, 2006 Infinity FX45, 2004 Range Rover along with dozens of other 3 series BMW's, Lexus's and Audi's and what not... it was rediculous.

loustylez
12-03-2006, 06:43 PM
damn. my school was nice, but not THAT nice.

SoFresh
12-03-2006, 06:44 PM
I leanred really quick on a 5-speed, bought my first car 2 hours away from my house and only had 3 hours to get home and to work that day... never drove a stick before this... not to mention all the hills in downtown seattle... it was an interesting drive home, but leanred that stick real fast.

JumboBlack1.8
12-03-2006, 06:46 PM
At my school....this one kid is driving around in a BMW M3 Alpina....super rare BEAST of a car with about 450hp at the wheels, according to the kid and his dad.....gorgeous car.......I'm in college, but its still pretty ridiculous a 20 year old has a car like that to himself

Re5pectThe_Cuz
12-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by CaSp3r9
Haha some of the nicest cars at my high school were a 2005 BMW X5 4.4i, 2006 Audi A4 2.0t S-line, 2006 Audi A6 4.2, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Lexus IS350, 2003 BMW 330ci, 2006 Infinity FX45, 2004 Range Rover along with dozens of other 3 series BMW's, Lexus's and Audi's and what not... it was rediculous.

nice cars but still doesnt live up to the things ive seen...
ill just name things ive seen from my experiences at either my schools or my friend's schools

brand new 6 series
M3- from stock to s/c ones
330ci
325i, 325ci
lexus GS300 (new one)
porsche 996 TT
range rover with 20k in mods (girl driving)
range rover sport s/c with wheels etc etc
some of ferrari's and porsches
the list goes on and on...

SoFresh
12-03-2006, 07:05 PM
damn, you guys in cali... in WA kids role around free crappy cars, lol, like old fords and chevys.... grandma cars. lol porsche, and ferraris, lol, wtf!? spoiled, wish I grew up in those families, lol.

Poopie
12-03-2006, 07:06 PM
damn kids with money's...we get the point though. Some kids have nice cars.

Anyways, just keep working at the clutching. In a parking lot, just ease off the clutch very slowly to learn the engagement point. You should be able to start off in first by easing out the clutch and not even touching the gas.

Re5pectThe_Cuz
12-03-2006, 07:17 PM
ive taught a few people in my previous car and they all seem to get it pretty well...
just sit in the car- running should be better for the car. Feel out the clutch. Get used to it. get your seat comfortable thats a pretty important part. feel where the clutch begins to get stiffer and engage. once you get that idea youll know thats when you start to need to give it some gas. once you practice that you can learn when the car is in gear...
worked for me

1.8G
12-03-2006, 07:37 PM
give it no gas and let the clutch out very slowly... you will feel it start to grab. See if you can let the pedal all the way out without stalling.... After you figure out where the pedal engages, you can add gas (try not to rev over 2k) where neccessary. If you find yourself on a steep hill with traffic closely behind, you can use your e-brake to hold you steady while you get into gear so you dont roll into the people who always seem to stop too closely behind. You will be competant in a week, and nearly flawless in two more. Whatever happens in traffic, do not panic. It will only make things worse.

loustylez
12-03-2006, 07:54 PM
get to a driving event/school as soon as possible afterwards. not from the DMV. find some local club members and find out when their next event will be (if they do them). it's well worth it.

quadaxel
12-03-2006, 07:57 PM
lol i taught myself how to drive stickshift in my friends baby blue 1998 Isuzu Amigo with purple seat covers (shes a girl of course) hahaha it was embarrasing but hey, i picked up on it fairly quick. then she totalled it and my other friend got this bucket-ass 1989 Suzuki Sidekick for $800 cash. lol it was stick, but i had something new to get used to, it doesnt have power steering. now my other friend lets me drive his dad's BMW 550i (lol quite a jump in quality) and i love it. just work on slowly releasing the clutch and letting the clutch idle speed take you a few feet and then stop and do it again. then, do the same on hills. o yeah, in my state (California), were not allowed to drive anyone under the age of 20 for the first year after we get our licence.

MikeWasHere05
12-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I might convince my parents to drop me off at a big parking lot tomorrow (if the weather is good).

I noticed when I was driving that when I started the car (after I stalled :P) the RPMs would go up to like 1200 then settle at around 900. Is that normal? I haven't seen it on any of the automatic cars I've driven.

quadaxel
12-03-2006, 08:20 PM
im pretty sure its normal. mine's an auto, and it does that when i turn it on.

Black92LX
12-03-2006, 09:35 PM
i got my car 6 months before my license. It was a 5 speed.
I drove up and down the driveway everyday afte school.
I put 247 miles on it in the driveway alone before i could even drive it. I had 1st and reverse down cold before i even hit the road for the first time.

I noticed when I was driving that when I started the car (after I stalled :P) the RPMs would go up to like 1200 then settle at around 900. Is that normal? I haven't seen it on any of the automatic cars I've driven.

my understanding is that this is a normal fuel dump in VW/Audi in attempt to heat the car up faster.

dukez
12-04-2006, 12:34 AM
I still stall from time to time.

I stall a lot too on other peoples manual cars, cause i'm too used to the audis clutch. Hondas are funny to me, its so damn right there. I stalled that little civic/ and or burnt out on first gear every time. [up]

MikeWasHere05
12-04-2006, 03:53 PM
Parents went out today, so you know I HAD to at least attempt driving it.

I put a mile or two on the odometer in my driveway, then another 3 or 4 out on the street. Only stalled once or twice on the road, was able to hold hills and stuff with the e-brake. I let my friend drive it back to his house, when he got out he put the e-brake up and I definitely forgot to take it up before I left. I get home, go to put the e-brake up and realize it was already done for me... oops. So yeah, the driveway thing works [:D]

EDIT: My friends comment about the car, "Dude. Audi. Siiiiick." "This is the nicest standard I've ever driven."

matt719
12-04-2006, 07:51 PM
The A4 is probably the easiest standard to drive you'll find, with it's very forgiving clutch. I had to learn on an old saab.. mechanical clutch and a completely broken shifter linkeage, and I'm sure compared to most others I had it very easy. Modern cars are so easy to drive. The best way to learn is to get out on the road, just stick to safe areas and times without much traffic.

I live in the third richest town in Massachusetts and people still give me shit for driving an Audi, partly because no one believes me that my car is 10 years old.

JTDec17
12-04-2006, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by CaSp3r9

haha man I'm 16 and my school is beyond that. Some of the kids at my school drives Porsche Turbos, Range Rovers, M3s, some kid just got a M6, bentleys, I've seen some of their parents drive Carrera GTs, Ferraris, Lambos, ets, you get the point. rich ****ers haha

LboogieG12
12-04-2006, 08:04 PM

practice makes perfect. keep driving & it will be 2nd nature to you. definitely practice in an empty parking lot. once you get used to the engagement point on the clutch, it'll be smooth sailing from there.

good luck [:)]

LateraLex
12-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Good choice buying manual. Auto is for chicks on cell phones [:p]

ExpLlclT
12-04-2006, 08:54 PM
i taught a gf of mine in less than 20 mins how to i dunno if she'd survive on the road but good luck to you , don't be dumb trying to show off or anything at school !!

victorvu
12-04-2006, 10:25 PM
damn that sucks for you that your parents wont let you take the car out. I just bsed my parents and said there is no 6 month rule after i get my drivers license. they believed me but i was just as you the guy with the nicest car at school. i drove a 02 tl type s dropped on rims, with a bumping system. now i have a 99 5 speed the hardest thing to do when driving a stick is getting off first and hills is a biznatch. i stalled going up a hill that had a speed bump after dropping off my sisters at their school. Practice makes perfect just dont do anything stupid until you get the hang of it. btw good luck and my uncle told me my car is the easiest to learn how to drive stick in. Plus nobody showed me took me 2 mins to get off of first then 15 mins to drive it smoothly, and 2 weeks to learn how to hold the hills and thats about it.

Militant-Grunt
12-05-2006, 08:42 AM
Get some practice man, ive been driving since I was 15 in Manhattan... ( lol ) Standard takes practice it wont help you not driving for weeks at a time.

Cosmic Fur
12-05-2006, 09:29 AM
Parents went out today, so you know I HAD to at least attempt driving it.

I put a mile or two on the odometer in my driveway, then another 3 or 4 out on the street. Only stalled once or twice on the road, was able to hold hills and stuff with the e-brake. I let my friend drive it back to his house, when he got out he put the e-brake up and I definitely forgot to take it up before I left. I get home, go to put the e-brake up and realize it was already done for me... oops. So yeah, the driveway thing works [:D]

EDIT: My friends comment about the car, "Dude. Audi. Siiiiick." "This is the nicest standard I've ever driven."

Stop with the E-brake. It's a bad way to learn how to drive stick imo. E-brake is meant for parking. Once you get used to where the clutch catches, going into 1st uphill is not a problem. Predict when the car in front of you is going to start moving and give yourself some time, shift into 1st, let off the clutch just till you feel it start catching, and when it's time to go, just take your foot off the brake and give it gas and release clutch completely. After a few of these, your feet will know where the clutch engage point is so well that at this point I don't even bother shifting into 1st till the car in front of me comes off the brakes.

Did your friend ever drive a stick BMW? While I understand it's a matter of opinion, I still like the BMW clutches a lot more. I find the Bimmer clutches have a longer engage distance, so you get a lot more control with how much clutch you wanna let off how fast.

P.S. How big are your driveways, damn. A mile is 1600 metres, and my driveway is like 8 metres, so I'd have to do ~200 runs up my driveway to make the odometer change a mile. ~400 for two miles.

offroader1006
12-05-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by 94jedi
smart kid. [up] just practice whenever you can and you'll learn in no time. My pops made me drive home from Wash DC on I-495 during rush hour. I learned real quick.

i never drove one till i bought mine in CT and had to drive it home to SC.

got real good by NC[up]