PDA

View Full Version : Winter info... your heated mirrors most likely do not work! Diagnosis inside.

BoostFrenzy
12-03-2006, 01:41 AM
Well, as anal as I am... it snowed the other day for the first time in my love/hate relationship with this comfortable whore we know as B5 Audi and I noticed the ice/snow wasn't promptly melting from my exterior sidemirrors, odd I thought since I had many many older B3 Audis with many more miles and never had one with a heated mirror issue... after consulting the owner's manual *DING* it stated the mirrors were "automatically controlled" and required no user intervention... on the B3 you needed to have the defroster on to activate them...

When I got home I was ultra annoyed and after 2 drinks I wasn't able to resist heading outside into the 25f greatness and diagnose the problem, luckily it's easier than it looks.

First, push the glass in the side mirror to it's innermost position so you can fit your finger tips behind the glass on the outer most portion and PULL, the glass insert will pop out leaving you with 2 black wires connected to the panel, remove those wires and break out your multimeter.

In my car, an early 1999 A4 sedan, I probed these wires with the key on in all variations... defroster on, defroster off, climate control on or off, window switch in L/center/R... nothing made a difference, unlike the B3's mine were getting power no matter what when the key was on... so since we've got voltage AT the mirrors, that would make the mirror panels suspect

A quick continuity test revealed infinite resistance between the pins on the panel, meaning the wires were broken in the panel, probably fried to death because audi isn't using a thermoswitch to turn the heat off, they just run all the time.

Replacement shouldn't take more than 2-3 minutes per side, besides how many here don't have the gooey brown discolored craptacular looking mirror surface anyway even if their heated portion works?

Part numbers are as follows:

4B0 857 535 - left side glass
4B0 857 536 H - right side

1stvwparts.com has these at $25 left, $61 right (WTF?) +10% since it's audi specific, anyone else have a recommendation to get these OEM parts cheaper?

Also this information may differ for 99.5+ not entirely sure, but i'd be happy to check ETKA for you.. either way the purpose/diagnosis is the same.

Genix
12-03-2006, 07:46 AM
Do all 1999's have heated side mirrors?

maxspeed
12-03-2006, 09:25 AM
winter weather package

e.van
12-03-2006, 09:30 AM
My driver's side mirror still heats up, but REAALLLLLY slowly. It takes ~ 4 times longer than the passenger side to defrost.

snoop
12-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by e.van
My driver's side mirror still heats up, but REAALLLLLY slowly. It takes ~ 4 times longer than the passenger side to defrost.

yup, exact same here. [headbang]

hey4
12-03-2006, 11:08 AM
you should do a write-up on this. This will definatley prompt me to get all that goo off the mirrors.

IKE20VA4
12-03-2006, 01:42 PM
mine on my 2001 turn on when i turn the rear defroster on. and they still work quite well!

tamadrumr88
12-03-2006, 03:02 PM
the above part number for the passenger mirror glass. is that for the stubby mirror or the regular sized mirror?

GraysonF
12-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by e.van

exact opposite here, my driverside is clear and clean within 30 seconds. i dont think my passenger one works at all?

BoostFrenzy
12-03-2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by tamadrumr88
the above part number for the passenger mirror glass. is that for the stubby mirror or the regular sized mirror?

it's whatever comes on the car stock, not sure on the different euro glass / alternative mirrors i see here & there

onemoremile
12-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Usually after the heater stops working the mirror gets a nasty color to the bottom of it. I replaced both of my side mirrors with heated safety mirrors. The outside couple inches curves back so I can see to merge better.

dukez
12-04-2006, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Genix
Do all 1999's have heated side mirrors?

My 1999 only has driver side heated mirror. I figured this was the norm, its been like this since i got it (used).

Are both mirrors suppose to be heated? Cause obviously my passenger mirror doesn't.

BoostFrenzy
12-04-2006, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by dukez
My 1999 only has driver side heated mirror. I figured this was the norm, its been like this since i got it (used).

Are both mirrors suppose to be heated? Cause obviously my passenger mirror doesn't.

it's heated, just burned out... pop it off to verify

offroader1006
12-04-2006, 05:14 AM
i had both mine stop working, but only the drivers side had the brown stains on it.

i didint even know i had heated mirrors till i replaced it.

EuroA4
12-04-2006, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by onemoremile
Usually after the heater stops working the mirror gets a nasty color to the bottom of it. I replaced both of my side mirrors with heated safety mirrors. The outside couple inches curves back so I can see to merge better.

I concur...get the blindspot mirrors to replace your crappy OEM ones.

Here...> http://www.stratmosphere.com/audi_mirrors_and_housings1.htm

tamadrumr88
11-19-2007, 10:08 AM
i know this post is way past being dead, but i hope i can help someone else out whose mirrors have turned brown but also dont want to spend a crap load of money to get new mirrors.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=140177667418

i bought these mirrors for $63 shipped. arrived within two business days, the mirror glass was nicely wrapped and packaged too. i ordered this kit since i have the euro stubby mirror, and the driver side is safety glass too, and theyre heated [up]

installed them today and they look great, granted theyre not OEM but i beggers cant be choosers, especially for only $63 what more could you ask for

[up][up]

TighTT
11-19-2007, 01:46 PM
AFAIK...the mirrors can be turned off by leaving the control knob (mirror control) set to one of the mirrors. To turn the heat on....you place the knob in the middle position. This was told to me by a tech....although I havent been able to verify its accuracy....this is the way it works on my Touareg as well.

tamadrumr88
11-19-2007, 02:46 PM
i assumed that that's how it has worked all along... but my mirrors were burnt out long before i bought the car, ill just have to make sure i do that from now on with the new mirror glass

Stampy
11-19-2007, 04:17 PM
I thought when I had my VW's it said that you put the mirror knob to one of the mirrors to turn the heaters off. To turn it on, you would just put the control in the middle. Thats how I did it, and I NEVER had an issue. I read the audi thing that they are automatic, but just assumed that the switch being set to a mirror would turn them off. Thats how I have it now. Mine work fine. If the VW method works to "turn" them off. It has to be a good thing, considering how many electrical things break on our cars.

anonymous6915
11-19-2007, 05:12 PM
stupid question but how do i know if i have a "winter package"?

Russell2686
11-19-2007, 05:23 PM
stupid question but how do i know if i have a "winter package"?

do you have heated seats?

woofster
11-19-2007, 05:33 PM
I replaced the mirror glass on both the driver and passenger side earlier this year. They were discoloured brown as well; looked pretty crappy. The new ones I got were off of Ebay and look & work great. Both are heated and the driver side are 'bi-angled' to cover a bit of the blind spot too. Paid $82 total.

seank
11-20-2007, 09:12 AM
so when you purchase the replacements say from stratmosphere, you get the glass and the heating element is attached directly to the glass?

Silverstreak98
11-20-2007, 03:26 PM

Yes mine has the brown stuff.......I always wondered if I had heated mirrors. Guess I do but they just don't work!

Time to fix that.

Bic-Ball
11-20-2007, 04:41 PM
i dont mind the mirrors not being heated so much as the brown sutff around the mirror. you can't see through it, merging is terrible as it is. if theres ice on my mirrors theres ice on the windshield, so i just use a scraper to get it off.